“Outstanding Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica) (Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
“Outstanding Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My partner and I stayed here at the end of a 5 week holiday across the States. As it was the end of our trip, we could do with as little stress as possible. The Oceana was the perfect choice for us. The staff were excellent and no request was a problem.

We ate at the restaurant and the food was great. We also had the pleasure of chatting with a couple that had been coming back to the Oceana for 5 years now.

Only down side for us as we didn't have a vehicle was the distance to the Promenade and Restaurants. The weather was perfect during our stay so the 15 min walk was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Calabasas, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

As soon as I drove up the Oceana, I felt like I was going to be treated like royalty, but I was sadly mistaken once I entered the front desk. When I checked in the staff all greeted me with my last name, while during check in they never once asked for my photo id, they just simply asked for my credit card.  I stood there with my luggage in hand and they stated that my room would be ready in 10 minutes. I decided to wait for the room and go look at the hideaway restaurant. When I got into the restaurant, I was not greeted for about 10 minutes until finally a gentleman came and asked if I needed assistance. I asked to see a menu, he handed it to me and turned away to answer the phone and have a long conversation with the person on the phone, I decided that it was not worth the wait any longer and walked away. Finally when I was walked to my room, the bellman had to open my room and make my key by using a wrench, to me this was odd! Why would you need to use a wrench to open the door? I asked the bellman if this was because the door was broken and he kindly said no this is how we make keys! While I was unwinding I had found out that a couple items from mini bar was missing, So I called down and let the front desk know…. They said I would not be charged for it! However, at the end of the stay I still got charged 65 dollars for mini bar items! They also charge for a toothbrush and shave kit! When the other guests arrived, they had to bring their own baggage in and finally after waiting ten minutes for a bellman finally got service! The front desk yet again did not check id for my friends when they arrived and shouted the room number in the lobby so that everyone could hear! Finally, after all this we were ready to enjoy our vacation! We asked for 4 glasses for our champagne, once the server came in with the wine glasses she said she would open the bottle for us, but instead she made the champagne go everywhere! She asked if we had shaken it and blamed it on US! She did state that we can have a glass of champagne at the hideaway but we did not want to since I had gotten such bad service just walking in. In the middle of the night I was rudely woken up by two guests (I assume) swimming and making noise in the pool! I THOUGHT THE POOL WAS CLOSED AT 2 IN THE MORNING! Finally I started drifting back to sleep when again a woman was screaming outside her door! When I left the hotel finally at 5 am no one was in the lobby and had to press the button to get a staff member to ask for my car. He said he was taking a nap and he was sorry! I had also stated that I did not get much sleep because of the other guests making loud noises in the middle of the night; he seemed more interested in his nap than why I was so upset. After waiting about 15 minutes for my car to be brought around I was finally out of the hotel and on my way home. When i finally got my bill emailed to me i saw there was m&m on my bill which i told the girl when i called i never ate! She never tookit off and i had to eat the cost of something i never consumed! For someone spending what I spent at the hotel for a stay cation, I do have to stay I will never go back to this property AGAIN! So if you are reading this please take my advice and do the same! Stay far away!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I travel quite a bit and have spent quite a bit of time in LA, the Oceana beats out any hotel I've ever stayed in. From the wonderful smell of eucalyptus in the elevators, to the incredibly friendly staff (they greet you by name), to the beautifully appointed rooms -- you just can't beat it. Go. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, the Oceana Signature Suites are breathtaking. I stayed there the first night I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

My sister and I stayed for two days at the Oceana. Our two rooms were very spaious and nicely furnished. The hotel is a converted apartment house, and the owners have introduced some elegant touches. (One prior review was quite critical, and I do not agree with the criticisms).

The restaurant was excellent - breakfast buffet was superb, with lots of choices. We had dinner once and lunch once, and both were faultless.

The staff is first rate - young ladies at reception and dining room staff could not do more for you. The valet attendants were always there and produced our car in seconds.

Room Tip: If you want to overlook the pool, ask for an inside room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, England, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the second year we have chosen to stay at Oceana. We ended our five week holiday with 3 nights here, and its a relaxing and great way to do it.

Still has the same great charm, the massive and comfortable rooms, the cute pool, great food - and amazing cocktails!

We even ran into some other repeat guests who were staying last time we were there. It's like family!

Room Tip: Families with heavy strollers, please note that elevators do not reach all floors and you may need t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My daughter and I stayed 2 nights at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel after movers had packed up our house for our move to Denver. I lived in the neighborhood, so this hotel was a great choice. We stayed here 10 years ago when we first moved to Los Angeles, the hotel has been renovated, and a restaurant/bar added since then, and all I can say is that I love it!

Valet waits at the curb and our car was taken care of quickly and the guys were so friendly. Check-in was quick and everyone was so helpful. We had a King suite (109) that was located on the ground level courtyard, near the pool. The room was huge, living/sitting area with a pull-out sofa, desk area, eating table. The King bedroom was spacious with lots of closet space, and the bathroom had double sinks and was large enough for 2 girls to get ready in. Free Wi-Fi was also included.

The decor is comfortable and beachy, with lots of color. Great bathroom products and soft towels and robes. There wasn't anything we didn't like about our room.

The pool was just outside our door in the inner courtyard. There was also an outdoor fireplace with comfy sofas to have a drink in. The small restaurant/bar spilled out onto the patio. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but did have drinks one night. Great selection of cocktails and wine were available. All staff were very attentive. In fact, for the 2 days we stayed at the Oceana, we were greeted by name by most staff.

The location is quiet, in an upscale neighborhood, right on Ocean Avenue-near the famous Montana Avenue (Santa Monica's premier shopping street). There is a beautiful park across the street from the hotel, it's a nice walk down to the beach, and the Oceana provides cruiser bikes to it's guests.

The day we checked out, the front desk called our room, asking if we needed any help with printing of boarding passes for our flight, or anything else they could do to make our check-out and trip to the airport easier. Very nice touch.

I highly recommend a stay at the Oceana Beach Club-it's a great hotel for families or for couples who want a laid back beachy vibe, which totally epitomizes the Santa Monica scene.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

Attractive and well appointed hotel with a non-traditional, but well-done flair Jefferson at front desk was exceptionally helpful. Stayed in 205 - small suite with awesome views. Left my i-pad charger in room - recovered by hotel and sent to me.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!