“Excellent experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

You added Oceana Beach Club Hotel to your Saves list
Oceana Beach Club Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   849 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403 (Formerly Hotel Oceana Santa Monica)   |
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Cupertino, California
“Excellent experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Having stayed at several Hotels located on Ocean, in Santa Monica.  I have to say that the Oceana Hotel is my favorite.  The service was excellent, with staff that go above and beyond to make guests comfortable.  The location is beautiful, and the view of the ocean spectacular.

The rooms are spacious and thoughtfully furnished, and having a full kitchenette is extremely convenient.  The toiletries are CO Bigelow, which is a little thing that makes a huge difference.

The food at the downstairs restaurant was delightful and satisfying, and the service was excellent.  Views of the ocean and beach were gorgeous as you would expect in Santa Monica.  Free wi-fi is available, for hotel guests.

We had a great experience and will definitely be back next time we are passing through.  The service alone is worth the stay; the gorgeous setting doesn't hurt either.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Great room with a wonderful view, clean, wonderful staff, good food, and a beautiful location. We were very pleased.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the third floor which was large and quiet and had great light.
Limassol, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I went to Santa Monica on a 4-day business trip. I chose the hotel through their website but I was slightly disappointed. This hotel is probably an old refurbished condominium. Admittedly a refurbishment well done.The hotel is not very close to the pier nor the 3rd Promenade shopping area. Other hotels are better located. The staff in the restaurant are very friendly and helpful. The staff in the reception are professional but seem to be in a hurry and do not have much time for conversation. However this could be my fault. My room was in the ground floor, it was nice, comfortable but even though in a quiet zone I could still hear the noise coming from the restaurant in the swimming pool area. Of course before we make any final conclusions we need to compare what else is available in the area. I visited the Hilton briefly to meet a friend and that was not impressive either. You therefore need to consider your options carefully.

Room Tip: Difficult to give any helpful advice as I only have experience in one room which was a corner suite...
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel recently (June 2012), and we picked this hotel after extensive research. We were flying in from the UK and wanted to stay in a nice boutique hotel and not a large chain hotel, where we could enjoy a few days break (while leaving the kids with Nana) where we could acclimatise, which was close enough to explore Santa Monica and LA without initial car hire, before heading to a close friend's wedding in Temecula. We paid extra for a Seaview room to spoil ourselves, and asked to be on the top floor (which we were). I booked via Splendia.com where the club benefits are apparently a complimentary gift of fruit and water, and complimentary upgrade (subject to availability). We didn't receive an upgrade which was fine, but neither did we receive the complimentary water or fruit - note: a small bottle of water cost $7!

We were disappointed that the hotel was a bit further from the pier than we expected and that the beach wasn't just across the road, but much further than that - in fact, across the road, down a steep hill and across another road! We arrived early evening and ate in the restaurant, which was a pleasant experience. The pool looked good, and the other hotel guests seemed to be enjoying themselves around the pool. We went shopping along the 3rd Promenade, which is a brisk 10-minute walk away, to help us break the jet lag. We went to bed exhausted at around 9.30pm, hoping for a restful nights sleep as the bed was extremely comfortable.

You can imagine our surprise to be woken up at 1am in the morning by a noisy group of people. Initially I thought a group (it sounded like around 15-20 people), were socialising on the pavement outside the hotel. I thought we must be next to a bar, and it took me a minute to realise that isn't actually a bar near the hotel. We then realised it was actually coming from the room next door!

We called the front desk and was informed that a wedding party had come back to the hotel and were finishing off their celebrations in their room! Yes, he had happily let them in! We explained that we were trying to get to sleep after flying in from the UK, and asked if they could at least move this "party" to the public area of the hotel? He told us that this was not possible, but he would have a word with them. After 30 minutes of listening to the loud conversations (yes, you could hear everything they were saying as if they were sitting next to you - we even heard one party guest telling another that he wasn't even staying in the hotel), we called the front desk again. We said if he couldn't move the "party", could he at least move us to a room in a different part of the hotel where we could get some sleep. Unfortunately that was not possible as the hotel was fully booked, but they would sort out the noise. 15 minutes later we heard someone knock on the room next door (we didn't hear them the first time we complained), and ask them to quieten down. The party dispersed shortly afterwards and we managed to somehow get back to sleep sometime after 2 am.

The following day we went out for the day but we were going to a party that evening in Newport Beach and had asked the receptionist (when we had first arrived the previous day) the best and cheapest way of getting there (taxi, hire-car etc). We needed to be there at 6pm, and we were told it would take about an hour. She informed us that a taxi would probably be best as it would only cost $60 each way. We arrived back earlier than expected from our day out, and decided to head to Newport Beach early to fit some shopping in before the party, and so asked the receptionist to book the taxi for us (this was a different receptionist from the previous day). We then headed to our room to change. 5 minutes later I received a call informing me that a taxi woud cost $170 each way and did she want me to go ahead and book it? Obviously I was shocked and repeated the price we were quoted the previous day by the other receptionist. This receptionist told me she had called 3 taxi companies and they were all around $170 one way! I then asked how much it would cost to hire a cheap car, and was told $55 (plus around $30 for insurances). Obviously we opted for this option but it took around one and half hours to organise and deliver to the hotel - so we were lucky that we had got back early from our day out as we just made it on time for the party!

The most disappointing thing about our experience was that when we returned from our night out, there was a note apologising for the mix-up and also for the noise the night before. The note was nice, but they had also left an uncovered plate with one (now stale) cookie and one (now wizened) strawberry and I think they were 2 small biscotti biscuits which we all know are very hard unless dipped in a hot drink. That was supposed to make up for our sleepless night (caused by the hotel) and mix up with the taxi/ rushed car hire situation, also caused by the hotel.

The rest our stay I felt was marred by our first day, and I although the staff were pleasant, I didn't feel happy there. Considering we were paying over $600 a night for the accommodation, I felt robbed and cheated, and it was not the happy experience to the beginning of our trip that I was hoping for (and had spent hours researching).

When were checking out we tried to see the manager about the problems we had incurred with the hotel, but she wouldn't see us face to face (even though she was in the hotel) and so we had to have the conversation about our issues on the telephone with her! She had apparently not been informed about any of them, or so she said. She did give us some money off, but only when we prompted it, but that didn't compensate for the poor start to our holiday and the not nice hotel experience we had there. I would definitely not return again.

I also felt the breakfast at $25 per person was very steep. They did offer a large selection which looked really good, but if one of you just wants yoghurt, cereal and a coffee, I thought it was a bit of a rip off for that and that's why I only gave it a 2 on the scores. It's nice to have once as a treat but if you are staying for few days it all adds up! If you are paying over $600 a night for a room you would normally expect breakfast to be included.

Toulouse, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Positive points :Probably the best bed and pillows I have ever had in a hotel. So comfortable. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Hotel is very clean. The pool is heated and well cared for. Check in and check out was very courteous and efficient. Internet is provided free, but be patient because it is very slow.
On the negative side:
There is not much traffic noise outside - that's because the hotel is quite far from the busy area.  There are plenty of good restaurants around but be aware that it takes a brisk 15 to 20 minute walk to get to the first sign of action.
Parking at hotel is expensive at $36 but with some searching you may park free in the surrounding streets.

The rooms tend to be a bit noisy due to the almost continuous hum of air conditioning units from adjacent rooms. The walls are thin so you may be disturbed by the tv of another guest or even an alarm call.
Be careful of prices at the pool bar. $18 for a small glass of Chardonnay for example! Breakfast is always the same choice every day and costs $25 plus tax per person giving a total for two people every day: $62.
The hotel does not seem to be suitable for teenagers as there is nothing for them to do. Even young children seem to disturb the tranquil atmosphere of the pool area. Beach is far away, by crossing the main front road then descending a steep path down to the pacific highway.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Warning: The hotel is well located though NO ON THE BEACH. Mind, you will have to cross Ocean boulevard, then take some stairs then cross over the highway...then you are there....so don't choose this hotel if you have little kids and you think they can enjoy the beach easily.

Check-in: very efficient, courteous. The staff is very young and very well trained. Got upgraded (supposedly, it just seems the hotel was full) to a suite upon checking-in.

Room: very large, amazing decoration. Very "beach chic".

Bathroom: has all you need except: shower cap (you will need to ask for it). I had forgotten my flat iron and they did not have one...this is LA! everyone uses one :)

Pool: small, not for laps, but good if you want to refresh yourself after a crazy day.

Location: excellent for shopping. You are 4 blocks from the 3rd Street Promenade.

Staff: excellent from valet to cleaning lady to waiter.

Food: EXCELLENT, tasty and novel in taste, flavors and texture. I recommend the quinoa/kale salad.

Now the big major DARK element of my review: SLEEP! I specifically wrote in advance (and if you read my reviews, you know this is my #1 problem), indicating I was insomniac and requesting a VERY QUIET ROOM. My upgrade room was on the 2nd floor, at street level then, on Ocean Boulevard!!!!! When I realized this I clearly asked about the noise level and was told I should not hear anything because the traffic dies out at night.
This is not true.

First night I barely slept 4 hours.

Second night....ha! my second night.....this is when I realized the street noise is just the #2 source of noise...the #1? The upstairs guest.....and the creaking wood floor under the carpet, and the very poor noise insulation, I could hear every single thing this person did from sliding doors at 11 pm, to walking in her room (pacing?) til 1 am, taking a bath at 2 am and another one at 5 am.

So I started the big day with major business meetings with 3 hours of sleep under my belt.

NOT HAPPY!

ps: breakfast costs $25

Room Tip: really ask for a room on the side streets!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
OceanaManager, Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
I am very sorry to read that your visit was less than ideal. While it seems as though we exceeded your expectations in many areas of our hotel, we certainly did not meet this criteria in every aspect of your experience.

With particularly sensitive sleepers, we do suggest that guests request the highest floor available. While not excessive, the foot traffic from above, can be a factor, especially if any guests are traveling from overseas and still have a sleeping schedule on a different time zone. It is quite rare to hear that the Ocean Avenue traffic is disruptive to a guest’s sleep as we are the furthest north of all the hotels in Santa Monica, which does make for a quiet evening time atmosphere both inside and outside of the hotel. Furthermore all of our windows are double-paned glass to eliminate noise. The hotel always advises our guests to call the front desk to make us aware of any noise, such that we can go through a checklist of potential ways of alleviating the problem.

As for access to the beach, we consider our location quite ideal. Being on the bluff overlooking the ocean does require a short walk down the stairs to reach the actual sandy beach, but this elevated position also creates an appropriate amount of distance from the tourists and traffic that the beach can attract. In the future, we hope you will mention to the front desk or valet team as you are leaving that you are heading to the beach, as we do have taxi vouchers that we are happy to provide for getting to-and-from the beach.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the hotel. It is our priority to not only make you feel welcomed, but to offer you the peace of mind knowing that should you need anything, we are ready to listen and respond appropriately.

Oceana Management Team
langhorne, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

As you enter the small but well appointed lobby you get the sense of homelike understated elegance. The staff are very friendly and they try to be helpful & friendly. They have a small restaurant that in a pinch is ok--if you can, go out for your meals. The rooms are nice size and the pool is heated. The location is good but it's a 15 - 20 min walk to the promenade or to good restaurants. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view--waking up in the morning and seeing the ocean with swaying palm trees is as g...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oceana Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!