“"Boutique Hotel RNR suite rocks!"” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1301 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
LA
“"Boutique Hotel RNR suite rocks!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Our search for a 55 BDay Bash leads to this boutique hotel @ The Shangri-La. No frills but ticks in alls the right places, mostly,,...
Room: with King bedding; Showers fits for a King; Throne: a tad too small; View: .. of sunsets nightly just rocks!

Shape is a wrap around style overlooking the beautiful bluish ocean: with the Malibu to the right and left to the pier and as far as one can see ...just awesome!

Upon Halloween nights on Thursdays..tends to get loud at noc due to DJ suite 700 n cocktails cheers! Yes, we did venture out to this suite since it is located across the hall with camp fire style outdoors..very nice and cozy atmosphere..impressive.

We, had a great time celebrating my Husbands B Day bash at Sushi Roku (separate review) with a rocky molten chox cake with fireworks complementary, much appreciated since no courtesy or, comp. BDay acknowledgement noted at the Shangri-La,lol

No worries, we partied on since Halloween was our last night and we had stayed on to extend our RNR, pricey...but, worth it since I noted only one RNR available throughout the hotel with complementary creeks on occasions to enlightened the Halloween mood!

Location, location, it is an easy walk to the promenade for some shopping which seems endless and to the pier for some chowder and fresh seafoodies.

Check in and check out was seamless with parking on site @$34 nightly and some sort of $3 bks nightly added to the bill for SM tourism marketing district???
Overall, we had a ghoulishly weekdays short outings for the 2 nights say,
Cheers!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We're so happy and honored that you celebrated your birthday with us!
The Rock 'n Roll suite seems to have been perfect for your stay.
It's also so wonderful that our location made it easy to explore this great city, and provide a retreat for you to come back and watch the gorgeous sunsets we experience nightly.

Please come back, and see us again.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us.

546 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

It is refreshing to stay in a hotel in a popular location that is not all glam, perfectly styled and boring but this hotel is tired. The traditional art deco style is nice and the rooftop bar inside is nice with all the original art deco features. Outside the rooftop area is small and I overhead one guest say it was like being in a prison - this made me chuckle, she was referring to all of the metal wire fencing surrounding the balcony area. Not what you expect to see!
Good location. Only a short walk to the pier, the map of the area is quite deceiving, it looks like a 20-30 min walk but it only takes 10 mins.
I think the hotel is expensive for the finish and standard you are getting in the rooms. We had a sea view 'suite', to me this was just a standard bedroom size but I have read the room sizes are small on the coast in LA.
All the staff were very friendly and courteous.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us.
We know you have a lot options when it comes to choosing a hotel in Santa Monica.
Thank you so much for appreciating the historical design of our hotel.
Please forgive the chain linked fence along the terrace. Due to this building being a historical landmark, there are certain things we just aren't permitted to change.
We are, however, happy that you took advantage of our rooftop bar. It really has the best views of the sunset here in Santa Monica.
Thank you so much for your feedback.
It is very helpful to us to as we strive to improve the experience that we offer guests, and grow as a hotel. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Hotel Shangrila
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had our last night of our road trip here in September and we were not disappointed.

on arrival the computer system was down that delayed booking in but this was not too long and we were offered drinks and even food vouchers (that we didn't take as we felt there was no need but a nice gesture).

The hotel has an art deco style and even features the old type lifts. The rooms were great too with an unusual bathroom feature where you can see from the bathroom into the main room, with a modesty curtain if needed.

The view we had too was good, on the front and you could see the beach and pier.

We didn't use many facilites with this being a very short stay, but we did make use of the roof top deck bar. this looks like it is styled around a ship and features a great view over Santa Monica. The ambience was great and looked like the locals used this before hitting the town.

Overall a good stay with great staff and would come back again, for longer next time.

Room Tip: Sea front view is great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Please do come back for a longer stay.
We are so happy that you enjoyed your time here.
Even in the event that our computers act up, we still wish to provide luxury service to our guests.
It is great that even in your short time with us you could catch the views from the rooftop bar. That sunset sure makes an impression. When you come back, and have more time, we'd love to introduce you to our Sybaris: Rejuvenation Lounge in our courtyard. Massage/Skin treatments are at your finger tips. An easy way to relax.
Thank you so much for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

All the best,

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very disappointed in this hotel for the following reasons:

1. Requested a early check-in due, but not checked in until 3pm
2. Requested a 1 hour extension on check-out, and this was also not possible
3. My room was on level 3, right on Ocean Avenue - very noisy with road traffic all night, and no double glazed windows
4. This hotel deceptively advertises itself as being part of the SHANGRI-LA group of hotels, which is most definitely is not
5. For $450 per night, a lot better hotels in LA

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
First and foremost, thank you so much for your feedback.
It's helpful as we try to improve the experience that we offer guests.
We can then adjust how we operate to better serve.
Early check ins are something we struggle with everyday.
Being a small hotel we often find ourselves at a high occupancy, and with a 12pm check out time, we don't always have rooms available before our 3pm check in time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
In regards to the Shangri-La chain found all over the world, we don't wish to be confused with them. We are in fact an independent hotel, that was one of the first here in Santa Monica.

Most importantly, our main goal is providing exceptional service to our guests, and to read that we have fallen short of that goal is a disappointment for us all.
We, of course, would love another opportunity to show you what this hotel stands for and all of the wonderful experiences we have to offer.

Thank you so much for choosing us, and if you have any further comments or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me at Sonny@shangrila-hotel.com. It would be my pleasure.

Hotel Shangrila
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Visited my mom in LA with my boyfriend, and we wanted a place close to shopping and the beach but also romantic. Finding parking is impossible, and you have to drive by several times to see the valet, and you are charged an arm and a leg to basically park your own car. We waited a bit until someone was available to check us in, and I had reserved a suite and while checking in the lady whispered to her co-worker that the room we reserved was booked. Immediately I was upset, because I had spent hours picking the right hotel and specifically wanted that room. She proceeds to tell me, "oh we would like to offer you a free upgrade to our .... room that is comparable." She showed me the floor plan of it, and I let her know I would take the room but I was not happy with what they had done. Once we arrived in our room through a VERY small elevator that was uncomfortable for 3 people, I was disappointed. I did not want to express this in front of my bf and mom who had came with us to see the room so I did not ask for a room change. There was a TON of empty space in the room with no decoration or use whatsoever. The kitchen was nice and fully equipped, and the bed was comfy. The balcony had a nice view, BUT it is shared with every other room down the hall which was very disappointing. The bathroom was JUST as described by several other people on their site, but I assumed that if that was the ONLY flaw in the room I would be happy except in my instance it was not. The bathroom is extremely small. Two people can not stand comfortably and get ready in there. The sink area was not big enough to hold mine and my boyfriend's things, and the jacuzzi tub was a nightmare. It was over 3 feet deep and you literally had to climb up on the ledge to get in. The shower curtain was awkward, and the hot water heater was in the bathroom in a closet that was just tacky. The pool looked nice, but was shaded so we did not visit since it was cool out. The pros of this hotel was definitely the location, the beach was directly across the street once you hiked up and down a bunch of stairs and walked forever to reach the water lol. It was gorgeous and clean though. There were a ton of restaurants and shops nearby that I loved. The hotel bar was small and COLD, but was a nice edition. They had another area that was closed off for a private event so we did not get to enjoy the entire bar. We did not try any of the food options at the hotel. I am 50/50 on the hotel so me personally would not stay there again. I was fooled by the online photos, and I should have listened to the reviews.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your review.
To be honest, I've read this review many times, and I have the same reaction every time.
We, as a hotel, have to do better than this.
Having the opportunity to respond to reviews that our valued guests take time to submit on TripAdvisor, I become increasingly more grateful for the information given.
You should know how sincerely sorry we are to read of your dissatisfaction.
I want to address every part of your review, and tell you all about how your review has sparked a new level of practice at the Shangrila when it comes to customer service.
But what I wish write more is our desire to have another opportunity to show you what this hotel has to offer. Our location is wonderful, and Santa Monica is a beautiful city, but inside the walls of the Hotel Shangrila is a dynamic, restful, and exciting luxury experience. And you deserve nothing less.

If you find yourself in the area again, and are in need of a hotel, please feel free to contact me directly at 310.394.2791. Ask for Sonny, the Guest Relations Manager. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back, and help make your stay special. As it should be. Thank you so much again.

Guest Relations Manager.
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I really enjoy to stayed at Shangri-La in Santa Monica beach, my boyfriend and I, really love it. Really helpful staff, good services, the room is really nice, we got the beach view, super clean, huge bathroom. Cute swimming pool area. Really fantastic location, super convenience to walk around, go to the beach, pier and the third street.

The roof top is really great spot to see sunset, a little bit crowded.
The parking is quite expensive for the hotel guest, but parking valet staff really great.

Internet wifi connection really need a seriously fix, not working probably.

Love it there

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting your review.
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay, and everything this hotel has to offer.
In regards to our WiFi, I wanted to let you know that we recently just tapped into the city's fiber optics system. Our internet is truly lightning fast, with a strong signal all throughout the hotel.
Please come back and see us again. We look forward to sharing with you all of the advancements we strive to make everyday.

Thanks so much again for your feedback.
Have great days until we meet again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and really loved the ambience of the Shangri La from the pool area to the room to the rooftop bar where the views were fantastic! The customer service from the concierge desk was exceptional, and we were able to plan day trips for each day with great attention to detail provided by the staff helping us to make the most of our time in LA. Food in the restaurant was delicious. Thank you to all the staff for your great customer service, we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The standard room was a little on the small side, but the ensuite was a good size, and you can obvio...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us.
Exceptional service is our top priority.
The front desk/concierge staff want your time in our city to be full of all of the sights and experiences you desire. So happy that we could be helpful in that way.
We are also glad that you enjoyed the restaurant. The menu changes seasonally, and takes advantage of the local produce found at the farmers market that happens twice a week here in Santa Monica.
Please come see us again, and keep an eye on our website for any packages or promotions for some of our other room types. The Deluxe Ocean View room is one of our more popular rooms with great views of the pacific.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica? Share your experiences!