“Heaven in santa monica” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
“Heaven in santa monica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a great place in a fabulous location, walking distance to great shops, restaurants and pier.
Staff were vey friendly and helpful on checking in and organising a driver for our day at universal. We stayed in a one bed room suite as travelling with 2 teenagers. The room was spacious and modern, fully equipped kitchen and huge bathroom with spa bath and shower. The pool area looked very decadent with curtained cabanas and fluffy towels. We didn't go to the rooftop bar for happy hour because we weren't allowed to take our boys who are 15 & 17 because they are under age which was disappointing because I am sure they would have loved the view and the hotel missed out on our custom.
I really liked the room, bed was great, nice to have a kitchen to make breakfast, they even had a toaster which is unheard of in usa rooms! The one downside was for $400 a night they could have supplied coffee and some uht milk in the room so I didn't have to go to maccas in the morning to get my coffee! On our last day on checking out, I did notice free coffee was provided near the entrance to the restaurant..but nobody told me that. Another thing, I had a prepaid voucher and we didn't use a thing from the mini bar, on checkout I was told everything was fine, no charges, but on returning home have noticed a $7.67 debit on my card, a small amount I know, probably not worth chasing, but I suspect we have been charged for something we did not take from mini bar. That is frustrating...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hello Tricia L!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We were very happy to have you and your teens stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in beautiful Santa Monica!

564 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
gold coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

After choosing to make our reservation through our travel agent, we were a little concerned after reading some unfavourable reviews on Trip advisor and Yelp.

I am pleased to say however that the Shangri-La Santa Monica and it's staff has exceeded our expectations in every way. From the efficient hotel car that picked us up and dropped us to the airport, to the amazing location & great service that we experienced during our stay.

We loved the decor and attention to detail of our suite, with great little kitchen, wonderful views of Santa Monica Beach and pier. The bed was extremely comfortable, we loved the large bathroom with separate bath and shower. The suite was beautifully decorated with lovely parquetry dark timber floors.

The staff were very helpful and courteous, the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, the food and service was very good, definitely value for money.

I am pleased to say that we are very happy that we chose to stay at The Shangri-La Santa Monica and we would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Book ocean view suite
Hello Karen777smith -

Thank you so much for the kind review. We were happy to have you stay with us and look forward to your return visit very soon!

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our stay at the Shangri La. From start to finish it was a wonderful experience. The staff were fantastic and we even got a free upgrade as we were celebrating my husbands 50th birthday. They also helped him in organising the rental of his Harley Davidson. We had delicious chocolate dipped strawberries delivered to our room on our first night - thanks so much, they were yummy. The room was beautiful and the rooftop bar is fantastic. I plan on returning to this hotel next year and would highly recommend it. Thanks to all the staff for making this a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view - the view is amazing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jackie S -

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you and your husband next year to celebrate his 51st birthday!

Safe travels,
Parma, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Yes, nice hotel but what a nightmare! We had a reservation for an ocean view room, we stayed in a “front building view” room. After the check-out we have been debited for a minibar drink we never had, against written complain it was reimbursed. But the best one month after when I discovered on my credit card a charge of 430 usd! Without any email, warning, explanation, they debited us for the full stay nevertheless we had a PREPAID voucher. I don’t care if the hotel had problems with the travel agency (this is what, I guess, happened), this is not my business since I already paid for the services. The real problem is that the hotel used my credit card at their own business and without a valid reason. And this is totally incorrect and outlaw. If you go I suggest you keeping an eye to your card statements! During our tour around Arizona/California we stayed in 12 hotels, we had problems only with this one……to you coming to a conclusion!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear raffi336-

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila!

I regret the errors with your billing and am glad the erroneous charge was reversed. If there are any other issues with billing please contact me directly as I will assist immediately.

We hope you give us another chance the next time you are in the Los Angeles area. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back!

Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We spent 6 nights at the hotel in January. We were upgraded, partly we guessed because it was our second stay. The hotel is charming, the front of house staff helpful and friendly, and they go the distance to make your stay memorable.

Our main gripe revolved around the house keeping staff. We had two bedrooms, with three people in total. The day we checked in we asked for a total of 4 towels. Day 2 we were back to only 2 towels, and had to ring again. Day 3 ditto, but my day 4 we had 5 towels and they replaced equal numbers daily. Similarly, housekeeping didn't provide additional toilet paper when the roll was running low, so we had to call to ask. These are only minor issues. But stop the hotel from being great.

We had the experience this time of some building works on the roof occurring directly above our room. The hotel staff handled our concerns extremely well and efficiently, and everyone knew we were the family in the noisy room. The hotel staff could not have apologized more. Or indeed done more to compensate us for work that should already have been completed.

We love this hotel, and can't understand why anyone would stay in downtown whe. You can stay on the beach, close to shops and restaurants, and watch the sunset every afternoon. We will return!

Room Tip: Room 600 has two bedrooms and is absolute ocean front balcony view. Lovely.
Hello Adelaide5000 -

We appreciate your comments. It was our pleasure having you stay with us!

I have shared your comments with our Houskeeping team so we may better serve you when you return. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful location near the Pacific!

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you very soon!
Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Arrived New Year's night early and bar was closed!!!! Could hardly believe it! Room was OK but bathroom design is not user friendly. Only towel rack in room was at the end of the tub which was VERY deep and hard to get in and out of. Could not reach towels from sink!? Clean and great view. Staff cool and not too helpful, would not stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello 1972rick -

Thank you for staying with us - we appreciate your business.

We regret that your stay was not perfect and we hope you will come back and visit us again soon. Please contact me directly as I will be happy to assist you personally.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We travel to Santa Monica several times a year for a mixture of both professional and recreational purposes which makes our needs somewhat tough to meet. Hotel Shangri-La has shown to have no problem addressing our needs in a crowded and competitive Ocean Avenue hotel market.

Our most recent visit was over Christmas 2012 and despite arriving at 9:15 am on Sunday, December 21, and without giving the hotel any advance notice, we were greeted immediately outside the door and our bags were on the bellman carriage before we got to the Reception Desk.

Once we sat down at the Reception Desk, we were shown the warm and friendly welcome we've come to miss when staying at other properties. It felt more like we were coming into a friend's home rather than checking into a business who sees thousands and thousands of guests a year.

The personal touch extended up to our room as the bellman walked us through our room, taking the time to show us the room's amenities and ensuring we were taken care of. While this type of care in the hotel industry was common in the past, fewer and fewer places take the time to really make you feel like a guest.

The view, as others have remarked, is simply amazing (see my photo). The location is perfect as well, Ocean Avenue, just outside of the 3rd St Promenade, and a block from Wilshire, and just minutes from the PCH and Malibu. Easy access to both the 10 and the 405 if you're heading downtown.

The hotel bar has a great staff who, despite working through the holidays, remembered our names each time we stopped in for a before/after dinner drink. A mixed crowd of both young and old seems to frequent the bar (which is located on the top floor and includes the best outdoor patio on Ocean Ave).

Room service is served promptly and with a smile from polite and courteous attendants.

While I'm new to Trip Advisor, I'm a veteran traveler who hates wasting time and money and that's what's brought me here- to help others who may find themselves looking for a great place to stay, a great value, and a trip that won't include regret.

Kudos to the staff, including Matthew Moore, I can't recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Be sure and request an ocean view, the higher up, the better!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Ana M for your review!

Our pleasure having you with us and we look forward to your return visit very soon!

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica? Share your experiences!