We stayed at Shangri-La during the Californian winter and the weather was as beautiful as summer. The location is on a corner block right across the beach. The Santa Monica pier could be seen from our room with beach views. On the back street parallel to the hotel you will find the 3rd street promenade which is the happening part of Santa Monica.
The hotel overall has a suave, jazz-like feel to it. The staff at reception were very helpful and welcoming upon entry and exit. The room itself was beautifully appointed; airy and minimalistic. The bed was very comfortable and the room was actually larger than many reviewers claimed it to be. There was plenty of room to place all those shopping bags in the wardrobe and under the study desk too. The bathroom was my favorite: marbled Rebekah Zaveloff tiles wall to floor accentuated by stainless steel fixtures and fittings. The amenities (soaps and body products) within very luxurious and restocked generously each turn down service. Room service was prompt and the food was generous. There is a bar with rooftop views which was busy; too busy to serve you coffee? We never ate at the hotel's restaurant so cannot review it. The pool area was a little quiet and this would have to be the negative part of the hotel. There was a nice fire pit that we sat near but it would have been nice to have a drink.
The reception were helpful in procuring tickets to a lakers game at the staples centre. The also organized a private chauffeur to take us there and pick us up.
Things to do nearby:
- Arizona Avenue (across hotel): Tender Greens Restaurant: we ate here a few times. Food was fresh, organic and filling.
- Santa Monica Pier: a few mins walk from hotel. Have lunch at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Amazing.
- 3rd street promenade: shopping and cafes
- Bloomingdales: department store towards end of the promenade.
- Urth Cafe: amazing food and coffee. Fresh, organic and hearty. Best to take the blue bus here. There is a stop a few steps from the cafe.
- Big Blue Bus: this bus services Santa Monica if you would like to get around the city. Well worth it.
- Pinkberry: frozen yoghurt. Very delicious
- TJ-Maxx: you'll probably need a spare bag to pack all that shopping.
Overall if you want a clean, comfortable hotel in a great location then I would definately stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the Pacific since 1939, Hotel Shangri-La is a dramatic beacon of Art Deco beauty, Hollywood allure, and Los Angeles history. Perched on a high bluff, mere steps from the beach, this timeless Santa Monica boutique hotel has undergone a meticulous $30 million redesign -- promising you an idyllic haven of rejuvenation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, TIG Global, TravelClick, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Hotwire, Otel, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Shangri La Santa Monica