“Location, Service and Comfort” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1301 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Sydney
“Location, Service and Comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at Shangri-La during the Californian winter and the weather was as beautiful as summer. The location is on a corner block right across the beach. The Santa Monica pier could be seen from our room with beach views. On the back street parallel to the hotel you will find the 3rd street promenade which is the happening part of Santa Monica.

The hotel overall has a suave, jazz-like feel to it. The staff at reception were very helpful and welcoming upon entry and exit. The room itself was beautifully appointed; airy and minimalistic. The bed was very comfortable and the room was actually larger than many reviewers claimed it to be. There was plenty of room to place all those shopping bags in the wardrobe and under the study desk too. The bathroom was my favorite: marbled Rebekah Zaveloff tiles wall to floor accentuated by stainless steel fixtures and fittings. The amenities (soaps and body products) within very luxurious and restocked generously each turn down service. Room service was prompt and the food was generous. There is a bar with rooftop views which was busy; too busy to serve you coffee? We never ate at the hotel's restaurant so cannot review it. The pool area was a little quiet and this would have to be the negative part of the hotel. There was a nice fire pit that we sat near but it would have been nice to have a drink.

The reception were helpful in procuring tickets to a lakers game at the staples centre. The also organized a private chauffeur to take us there and pick us up.

Things to do nearby:
- Arizona Avenue (across hotel): Tender Greens Restaurant: we ate here a few times. Food was fresh, organic and filling.
- Santa Monica Pier: a few mins walk from hotel. Have lunch at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Amazing.
- 3rd street promenade: shopping and cafes
- Bloomingdales: department store towards end of the promenade.
- Urth Cafe: amazing food and coffee. Fresh, organic and hearty. Best to take the blue bus here. There is a stop a few steps from the cafe.
- Big Blue Bus: this bus services Santa Monica if you would like to get around the city. Well worth it.
- Pinkberry: frozen yoghurt. Very delicious
- TJ-Maxx: you'll probably need a spare bag to pack all that shopping.

Overall if you want a clean, comfortable hotel in a great location then I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with beach views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear Eat-Travel-Smile -

Thank you very much for staying with us and also for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel and our location.

We are happy you enjoyed the Hotel Shangrila and beautiful Santa Monica. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We decided to spend our last night in Santa Monica after 3 weeks of travelling, we knew it was not going to be a cheap area but thought we would splash out $400 to stay at the Shangri-La as this is a chain of hotels we know well. as soon as we arrived I knew something was not right, the hotel was very small and I instantly had a bad feeling that this was not the type of hotel that the Shangri-La chain would go for, I went straight onto their website and found that this was NOT one of their hotels. The reception staff told me some story about how this was the original Shangri-La but I think it is really bad that they trade under the same name.
The room was not great, the pictures that I had seen on bookings.com did not look anything like the room we were given. The room was a studio style though it is called a suite! It felt like a bachelor pad that was lacking in furniture, a good size lounge area off from the bed that has just 2 chairs in it and no couch or dining table as shown in the pictures.the bathroom was old, and dirty. The kitchen is new. All the bedroom lights are red! Which makes me feel very seedy. Do not stay at this hotel!! We picked this based on the name and the photos but got nothing but disappointment, we would have complained but needed somewhere to stay for the last night before we flew home.
On the up side the location to everything is good.

Hello Diver3

We thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila Santa Monica. We are glad you enjoyed our wonderful location.

I regret you did not enjoy certain aspects of our boutique hotel. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance to you as I will be happy to help.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The hotel is a striking building in a great location, within easy reach to the beach and pier or to the main shopping areas around 3rd street and Broadway.
I didn't find the front desk staff especially welcoming, but maybe because we had come from super friendly Hawaii it seemed that way. The rooms felt a little claustrophobic, nice furniture but not enough space or storage. We stayed for three nights, and realized on the last night that the same torn sheet that was on the bed when we arrived was still on the bed! at $350 a night I would have liked new bedding... and preferably not torn come to that!.
I would not stay here is again, though the building on the outside is wonderful, inside I found it a little soulless to be honest.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Izzy31

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write your review. I regret the issues you experienced while with us and we hope you will stay with us again in the future. Please let me know if I may assist you in any way. Until then, safe travels.

Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was looking to spend one night on a SoCal trip in a very nice hotel and after reading reviews here, I decided on The Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, right on Ocean Boulevard across the street from a cliff that drops down to Santa Monica Beach. The hotel staff was wonderful and accommodating. Their restaurant had personable service, good food and drink, and inflated prices, but I knew that. What I didn’t know was that the room would be so claustrophobic. While it is beautifully appointed with modern furniture, you can’t take a step without bumping into the wall length desk, bed or easy chair. The bathroom was unusually configured with a Japanese style tub and two shower heads. But if you were a person of short stature, you needed a stepping stool on both sides to enter the tub, and if you’re a person with challenged stability, forget it. I’m tall and I still felt like I had to clear a track hurdle to enter the tub. The conventional chair used for the desk was unsuitable. I’d say get an Aeron chair in there, but there would be no room for it. There is NO storage space; only a closet too small to stow luggage and no drawers. I also could not figure out the lights. It seemed like the only option was all on or all off. At night, I was awakened a few times by two sets of people screaming obscenities at each other from what sounded like the pool area. I'm not surprised by that in an urban setting, but still. This was one of the rare times that I didn’t ask for an upgrade, and perhaps I should have. Yes there was a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean thru swaying palm trees, but this wasn’t a room that made you want to spend time there.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a bigger room, even if you have to sacrifice upper floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello Scubatripper -

Thank you for staying with us and also thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your comments.

We are happy you enjoyed the amazing view from your room and our staff. Keep in mind that we have many suites in the hotel that are very spacious; some with a full kitchen!

We look forward to welcoming you back - until then, safe travels to you!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

One of the best locations in santa Monica! Basic rooms are so small you can't even lay your luggage out! We didn't spend touch time in the room so we didn't mind! We only were there for 2 days! The lady when we checked in did ask If we wanted the smaller room on the high floor over larger room on level 1!

• Stayed November 2012
Hello Nes1506 -

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hotel Shangrila! We are happy you enjoyed our location in beautiful Santa Monica. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe travels,
Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed there last night and had such a great experience I'm moved to write the first review I've ever written on anything; and I've traveled the world! This is a fantastic hotel. A great find. The staff is charming and so accommodating. The rooms are lovely - straight out of a Fitzgerald novel - and the view and locale are excellent. I'm only reticent to post this as I'd prefer not to have a lot of competition next time we want to stay there. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ocean-view suites are amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Hello Healey Y -

We appreciate your business and thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Maple Plain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

There is barely enough room between the foot of the bed and the dresser to walk between, The bath/shower is too tall to safely get into, you have to use the footstool they provide. Other then that is is a really nice place, great location and an extremely courteous staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is wider
Dear Bob P -

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila. We appreciate your business.

When your future travel plans include Santa Monica, we do hope you stay with us again. I am happy to assist you in reserving a large suite with kitchen - with amazing ocean views!

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica? Share your experiences!