“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Sydney, Australia
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

One of the best locations in santa Monica! Basic rooms are so small you can't even lay your luggage out! We didn't spend touch time in the room so we didn't mind! We only were there for 2 days! The lady when we checked in did ask If we wanted the smaller room on the high floor over larger room on level 1!

• Stayed November 2012
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hello Nes1506 -

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hotel Shangrila! We are happy you enjoyed our location in beautiful Santa Monica. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Safe travels,
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed there last night and had such a great experience I'm moved to write the first review I've ever written on anything; and I've traveled the world! This is a fantastic hotel. A great find. The staff is charming and so accommodating. The rooms are lovely - straight out of a Fitzgerald novel - and the view and locale are excellent. I'm only reticent to post this as I'd prefer not to have a lot of competition next time we want to stay there. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ocean-view suites are amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Hello Healey Y -

We appreciate your business and thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila!

Thank you for taking the time to write your review; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Maple Plain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

There is barely enough room between the foot of the bed and the dresser to walk between, The bath/shower is too tall to safely get into, you have to use the footstool they provide. Other then that is is a really nice place, great location and an extremely courteous staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is wider
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob P -

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila. We appreciate your business.

When your future travel plans include Santa Monica, we do hope you stay with us again. I am happy to assist you in reserving a large suite with kitchen - with amazing ocean views!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

The staff, concierge, and everyone is friendly. The location is unparallelled. The bartenders at the pool bar knee I needed a car to go up to San Fran so they arranged for a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder. I ended up driving to the W Hotel Hollywood and the next day decided to not go to San Fran and called Shangrila. They had my room waiting for me. I will stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012
Hello JATulla!

We enjoyed very much having you as our guest at the Hotel Shangrila! It was our pleasure arranging the Lamborghini for you and look forward to doing so again when you come back!

Thank you, again, and safe travels to you.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here in August, The building and rooms have just been renovated and they have done a good job. Good value for money in Santa Monica. just under 10 minutes walk to the center of town, 3 minutes to the beach. By far the best part of my experience was the service of the staff. They helped us out with an issue we had for our travel agent and made our stay very easy and hassle free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello rusty84612 -

We were happy you stayed with us in August! It was our pleasure working with your travel agent to ensure a wonderful stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon on your next visit to beautiful Santa Monica.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just a one night stay in Santa Monica but enough time to enjoy the Shangri-La Hotel. I found it on the web and hoped it would live up to the gorgeous photos and description – and it did. The location was wonderful – close to the beach, Santa Monica pier, shops and restaurants. The hotel itself was beautiful – all the modern comforts but retaining old-world, art deco glamour. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The restaurant service and food was excellent – I really recommend the California omelette for breakfast. If I have the opportunity, I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hello Melanie W -

We appreciate your business and are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our wonderful Dining Room for breakfast!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are a number of hotels in or near Santa Monica, and I must have looked at all of them before booking the Shangri-La for our trip last August. I had other reservations at two different hotels and cancelled them because I was not sure there were a good choice. Boy, was that a good decision. One of the places was far enough away that I don't think we would have taken in what Santa Monica had to offer, and the other was so dingy from the outside that it took me a bit to be sure it was the same place I considered. Not true with the Shangri-La - it beat my expectations in so many ways.

Thank goodness I decided to spend a few extra bucks and stay at the Shagri-La. We were a group of 4, staying 3 nights over a summer weekend - so finding a hotel that could accomodate us nicely with either 2 rooms or a suite was a challange. At the Shangri-La we stayed in one of their 2 bedrooms suites and I loved it. The beds were fantastic, the kitchenette was perfect. Each evening, when I went to my room and kicked back, I felt like I was in a boutique hotel in NYC or Boston. It was quiet, comfortable, and really I felt worth the money. The hotel has easy access to the beach and to the Farmer's Market, which we loved! It was within walking distance to the Peer. We even walked to Venice Beach.

We ate twice at the restaurant and really liked the food and service. It would be a great choice for someone not staying there.

My only complaint is the pool setup. The pool is not very big, which is fine because it is a small hotel. However, they had cabanas set up around the pool for parties to rent. When I approached the restaurant manager about using one of the cabanas he was rude, and threw up his hands like they were tied - no he could only rent them for the whole day and we'd have to spend a fortune on food. That seemed unreasonable as none of the cabanas were being used and there were no seats at the pool. He directed us to sit at the bar tables which were also ALL full. We ended up having to sit a long ways away. The next day, we went back to the pool and there were no towels. When I appoached him to ask about towels, he actually yelled at me that he knew there were no towels and "he had housekeeping getting some." We were there for over an hour and no towels ever came. We had to actually go back to our rooms dripping wet. It turns out there was a problem with the laundry. How easy it would have been for him to nicely say, "yes, there are no towels and there is an issue with the laundry - please grab your room towel and we will exchange it later this evening." No, he had to treat me like I was a nagging wife, seriously, the guy was so rude. After his behavior the day before and that day, I complained - to the manager on duty, who actually listened to me! He was excellent and helped us with our dinner plans that evening, so nice. Then, I was invited to speak to the operations manager the next day, who was so on the ball. I felt he totally understood where I was coming from and why the disrespect from the pool restaurant manager was both unnecessary and inappropriate. He even discussed with me the issue of considering the policy around the cabana use for guests when they are not reserved.

In the end, I felt valued as a guest. I don't know what the pool guys issue was, but it didn't and still doesn't effect my view of the hotel overall. Hopefully, they have either sent him off for some communication or sensitivity training or let him go. Everybody else was excellent. Even the bellhop was going to go to the basement to get me a towel as I stood shivering waiting for the elevator. I told him it was just as quick to hop upstairs and into the shower.

I would stay here again in a heart beat. It was fantastic in terms of food, location, service, comfort.

Room Tip: If you need the space their two bedroom suites are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear YueYou -

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We are happy you stayed with us and look forward to another visit very soon.

If you would like to arrange a pool cabana during your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I will be happy to assist you personally!

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica? Share your experiences!