“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Sydney, Australia
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here in August, The building and rooms have just been renovated and they have done a good job. Good value for money in Santa Monica. just under 10 minutes walk to the center of town, 3 minutes to the beach. By far the best part of my experience was the service of the staff. They helped us out with an issue we had for our travel agent and made our stay very easy and hassle free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Hello rusty84612 -

We were happy you stayed with us in August! It was our pleasure working with your travel agent to ensure a wonderful stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon on your next visit to beautiful Santa Monica.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just a one night stay in Santa Monica but enough time to enjoy the Shangri-La Hotel. I found it on the web and hoped it would live up to the gorgeous photos and description – and it did. The location was wonderful – close to the beach, Santa Monica pier, shops and restaurants. The hotel itself was beautiful – all the modern comforts but retaining old-world, art deco glamour. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The restaurant service and food was excellent – I really recommend the California omelette for breakfast. If I have the opportunity, I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hello Melanie W -

We appreciate your business and are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We are also pleased that you enjoyed our wonderful Dining Room for breakfast!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are a number of hotels in or near Santa Monica, and I must have looked at all of them before booking the Shangri-La for our trip last August. I had other reservations at two different hotels and cancelled them because I was not sure there were a good choice. Boy, was that a good decision. One of the places was far enough away that I don't think we would have taken in what Santa Monica had to offer, and the other was so dingy from the outside that it took me a bit to be sure it was the same place I considered. Not true with the Shangri-La - it beat my expectations in so many ways.

Thank goodness I decided to spend a few extra bucks and stay at the Shagri-La. We were a group of 4, staying 3 nights over a summer weekend - so finding a hotel that could accomodate us nicely with either 2 rooms or a suite was a challange. At the Shangri-La we stayed in one of their 2 bedrooms suites and I loved it. The beds were fantastic, the kitchenette was perfect. Each evening, when I went to my room and kicked back, I felt like I was in a boutique hotel in NYC or Boston. It was quiet, comfortable, and really I felt worth the money. The hotel has easy access to the beach and to the Farmer's Market, which we loved! It was within walking distance to the Peer. We even walked to Venice Beach.

We ate twice at the restaurant and really liked the food and service. It would be a great choice for someone not staying there.

My only complaint is the pool setup. The pool is not very big, which is fine because it is a small hotel. However, they had cabanas set up around the pool for parties to rent. When I approached the restaurant manager about using one of the cabanas he was rude, and threw up his hands like they were tied - no he could only rent them for the whole day and we'd have to spend a fortune on food. That seemed unreasonable as none of the cabanas were being used and there were no seats at the pool. He directed us to sit at the bar tables which were also ALL full. We ended up having to sit a long ways away. The next day, we went back to the pool and there were no towels. When I appoached him to ask about towels, he actually yelled at me that he knew there were no towels and "he had housekeeping getting some." We were there for over an hour and no towels ever came. We had to actually go back to our rooms dripping wet. It turns out there was a problem with the laundry. How easy it would have been for him to nicely say, "yes, there are no towels and there is an issue with the laundry - please grab your room towel and we will exchange it later this evening." No, he had to treat me like I was a nagging wife, seriously, the guy was so rude. After his behavior the day before and that day, I complained - to the manager on duty, who actually listened to me! He was excellent and helped us with our dinner plans that evening, so nice. Then, I was invited to speak to the operations manager the next day, who was so on the ball. I felt he totally understood where I was coming from and why the disrespect from the pool restaurant manager was both unnecessary and inappropriate. He even discussed with me the issue of considering the policy around the cabana use for guests when they are not reserved.

In the end, I felt valued as a guest. I don't know what the pool guys issue was, but it didn't and still doesn't effect my view of the hotel overall. Hopefully, they have either sent him off for some communication or sensitivity training or let him go. Everybody else was excellent. Even the bellhop was going to go to the basement to get me a towel as I stood shivering waiting for the elevator. I told him it was just as quick to hop upstairs and into the shower.

I would stay here again in a heart beat. It was fantastic in terms of food, location, service, comfort.

Room Tip: If you need the space their two bedroom suites are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear YueYou -

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. We are happy you stayed with us and look forward to another visit very soon.

If you would like to arrange a pool cabana during your next stay, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I will be happy to assist you personally!

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've not given this hotel 5 stars because it's not on the beach and the prices for breakfast and drinks are kind of high for the level of hotel it is. Saying that, I'd give it 5 stars all day long personally. The rooms are excellent, 1920's & 1930's grandeur to match the whole hotel feel.
The service is personal from the outset, with a handwritten welcome note from the management and check in directed just to you at a beautiful table & chairs rather than a counter.
The pool is great, as is the gym, although who'd go to the pool or gym when Santa Monica beach is only yards away, and the rooftop bar is amazing - albeit small. People - locals and residents of the hotel alike - flock to the rooftop every evening to watch the sunset.
Overall a great hotel in an even greater location. I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello jandrewsesq -

Thank you for your review. We were happy to have you as our guest at the Hotel Shangrila and look forward to your next visit!

Until then, safe travels.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night in early October. I was initially given a room on the ground floor, which was lovely, but I prefer to be up above the traffic if possible. I went back to the reception to ask if I could move to a higher floor, and the staff were very accommodating, helping me out quickly.

The room was different to what I expected, in a good way. A full kitchen, living area, and BIG bathroom, with a seperate bedroom. The bed was super comfortable, and of course the location is fantastic.

This hotel isn't cheap, but it justifies the price with great decor (note to other hotels trying to achieve that "vintage look - THIS is how you do it!), pleasant staff and a great location.

Room Tip: The traffic noise isn't TOO bad, but request a higher floor for a bit more peace and quiet, and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear gibosity -

We are happy you enjoyed your suite with a full kitchen and our location. We are pleased you chose our excellent location for your stay while in Santa Monica and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Port Hedland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Had a great time in this hotel. Superb location, pier, shopping and beach is closeby. The services was alright; we stayed in a suite, its big but a bit outdated but have a very nice balcony that overlooks the ocean. Swimming pool and gym is great. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Terrace suite is really nice, we got this on special deal so opt to get this type of room, so worth...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tins_travel -

Thank you for staying with us! We are happy you enjoyed the hotel and your time in Santa Monica. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Buff Point. NSW Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have just returned from 4 nights at this hotel. Firstly the location is superb, the beach directly across the road, the pier only minutes away and 3rd St shopping and dining, 2 blocks away. The hotel itself is slightly dated but the facilities including pool make up for this shortfall. We booked a Deluxe Ocean view room and were disappointed with the size of the room, yet the view was amazing. The room only had a bed and a wall desk and the bathroom was missing a bath ( advertised a bath on their website ) The room was cleaned regularly and the staff were helpful with suggestions as to where to eat and shop. Breakfast was available in the downstairs restaurant or you could purchase your own fresh fruit from the Farmers Markets and sit by the pool each morning. If you choose this hotel I suggest spending the extra for a larger room as we were at the end of a 2 week stay in US and we struggled with the space in the room with all of our luggage. You will not need to take taxi's to any of the local sights as everything you need is in walking distance. A great place to stay if you want to be close to everything. The shopping on 3rd St is amazing with all the known brands as well as a huge range of dining options. The SM pier is 2 blocks down and also offers dining and shopping. We hired bikes from the beach shack and rode down to Venice Beach which is a great easy ride and allows you to see the sights along the coastline. A drink on the rooftop bar is a must especially around sunset as it gives a spectular view of Santa Monica. I would recommend the hotel because of its great location and friendly service provided by the staff.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a larger room overlooking the ocean .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Heather M

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to write such a great review!

We are happy you chose the Hotel Shangrila during your visit to Southern California. We certainly hope you visit us again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any assistance!

With appreciation,
Matthew Moore
Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica? Share your experiences!