“Nice place but way too pricy for what you get” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica

You added Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica to your Saves list
Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   1301 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401 (Santa Monica)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Toronto, Canada
“Nice place but way too pricy for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My room was really small and it had a handicapped equipped bathroom (like in a public toilet) which takes away from the enjoyment, I was surprised they gave me that room as the Hotel was pretty empty. In addition the walkway from entrance door to bed area was so narrow that a wheelchair could in my opinion hardly ever fit. It is so narrow that my luggage would not fit and I had to cramp it to my bedside. So narrow tat if you hang your cloths you could not access the safe anymore. Also the WIFI was extremely weak so Skype would not work, Internet via cable connection did not work either so I had to go to the Starbucks nearby to get proper reception.
Bed was above average and the room kept clean; employees very friendly and helpful.
In the hotel restaurant I had to wait 45 minutes for my breakfast and was charged 18% tip anyways, no choice to express your opinion via tipping, they just charge you. (We were only 3 parties in the restaurant) Thus I only went there the first day and later I went to Starbucks so i would get both speedy service and internet.On the positive side the location is good.
I will not go again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Franco R -

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hotel Shangrila. We were happy to have you as one of our guests.

I apologize you were assigned a room that was handicap accessible. And typically our internet connection is very strong; I am checking to see what may have occurred during your time with us.

Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in the Los Angeles area. I will be happy to personally assist you with your reservation. We want to re-earn your loyalty!

Safe travels,
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

I had an OK stay at the hotel (if you don't mind the noisy buses on the street - the new windows only help so much).

But what really takes the cake: after I checked out and returned I got an extra charge on my credit card bill. I promptly called the hotel to ask them about it and after putting me on hold the told me the could not even find the other charge and told me I needed to send them more information about it in email.

As I had already given her all of the information about the transaction I asked her why emailing it to her would make any difference and she said then they could follow up on it. She then got rude to me, and I actually said I thought it was poor customer service of them to not be able to locate their own billing record. She then got even more rude and proceeded to actually hang up the phone on me!!!!

A few minutes later, my cell phone rings and she calls back to apologize. Now she has apparently located the charge and have claimed that I took items from the mini bar which I did not. At this point I told her, "Ok, that's great, you have apologized for not being able to find my charge but what are you going to do about the fact that I did not make this charge!" She offered me no help was rude to me again and told me I could dispute it with my credit card company. I could not believe the way in which she spoke and treated an existing and potential future customer.

If she had bothered to discuss with me, perhaps she would have heard me tell her that the afternoon I checked in (somewhat early) the woman came to check the mini-bar while I was changing and then never came back. I am sure that it was the prior guest and not some intentional act to charge me for this, but the fact that the customer service was so rude about this convinced me to write a review about this- something I rarely if ever do.

So don't stay here unless you want to find extra charges on your credit card and deal with rude and unhelpful customer service.

Michael S -

We would like to thank you for staying with us recently at the Hotel Shangrila. Your business is important to us.

I apologize for the incorrect mini-bar charge posted to your account. I apologize, too, for the (lack of) service you received when you phoned to ask about this charge. This is not the service we pride ourselves on and certainly not the level of service one of our guests deserves.

We do hope you give us another chance to re-earn your loyalty the next time you are in the Los Angeles area.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Just spent one night here on business. Had a confirmed reservation but they had no record of it in their system. They were not fully booked, had a room available but made me wait a hdlf an hour while one receptionist searched for my reservation to no avail and them after no success passed me on to another one. In the interim people kept coming up and asking them questions while I stood there like an idiot waiting for them to get back to me I voiced the fact that I was tired and would they please just give me my room and do their investigation after I had left. Finally, I got a room, a one bedroom suite. Good sized bedroom, view Of beautiful Santa Monica beach but had to keep the curtains pulled so as not to give a show to the people in the office building across the street. Room was clean. Very comfortable bed and high thread count linens. Soft fluffy towels in the bathroom. Huge soaking tub houses the shower. Good luck getting in and out of that. Apholstered furniture could use a good refurbish. Nice looking pool area, but was here on business so never used it. Good deal for the price but expected more.

• Stayed October 2011
mjgboston -

Thank you for staying with us this month. We were happy to have you! I am sorry the arrival experience was less than enjoyable as we had some challenges finding your reservation.

Your business is important to us and we hope you return...either on business or for a relaxing time away!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Very Nice Hotel, Excellent Location. Beautiful Ocean Views, Walking Distance to Everything. Room Very Nice, Ultra Modern, Clean, Neat and Tidy. No Coffee Machine though in the Room; it would have been Nice to Have in the Room For Early Morning Breakfast; instead, I found an Ample Supply of Freshly Brewed Coffee in the Lobby, which was Nice. Ate Dinner in the Hotel Restaurant-Very Good, Excellent Service. Valet Parking is Expensive. Pool Area is Excellent, Great Atmosphere, Nice Place to Relax if You Do Not Want to Go to the Beach. Overall, A Great Stay, would be Happy to Stay Here Again. Highly Recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for An Ocean View or A Poolside View, Quiet and Away from it All.
mrfoxycat -

Thank you for your recent stay! We are happy you enjoyed Hotel Shangrila and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We spent our last 4 nights of a 3 week US holiday here and could not have been happier with everything. We did not use a travel agent (relying heavily on tripadvisor) and found Santa Monica the hardest place to book which ticked the boxes for the family given the cost of SM accommodation.
Checked in on the Sunday of the Columbus Day long w/e and was therefore not overly surprised that our room (1 bed suite with kitchen) was not quite ready at 2.30, went for a walk and then to the hotel bar whilst we were waiting, without any fuss at all the concierge walked over to the barman and had our drinks comped. Nice start.
Had requested a room with a sofa bed for our kids (11+8) and was aware that couldn't be reserved, when we were told there was not one in our room a rollaway and sheets for the sofa were quickly organised at no extra cost. The room and hotel was a breath of fresh air with plenty of room compared to other hotels. The Art Deco touches were really well done. The view spectacular!! Position couldn't get better, 5 minute walk to SM pier and 2 minutes to 3rd St Promenade. Had worried that the hotel was only for the "beautiful people" but found the staff fantastic with the kids, always asking them how their day was or where they were off to and also helping us with tips on restaurants, shopping, directions etc.
Even the unseen staff went above and beyond - my son had left his apple headphones on the coffee table and in cleaning the room they were snapped. Without us even being aware of this the next night on our return there was a brand new set of apple headphones with a hand written note from the head of housekeeping explaining the situation and apologising. This may seem insignificant to some, however I believe it shows the professionalism of the place as had the broken headphones just been thrown out our assumption would have been that our son had lost them.
Only downside was the daily valet ($34 quite expensive, but we had it paid for in a package so keep an eye out for inclusive packages)
I have already passed my thoughts on to a few friends back home and will continue to do so. A great way to end our holiday.
Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Get the suite with Gourmet Kitchen, plenty of room for a family of 4
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Hello 'Stubbsyt' -

We enjoyed having you and your family with us during your visit to Santa Monica. We are happy you received the new headphones - we felt badly when our vacuum cleaner accidentally ruined your original set!

Safe travels and we will see you next time at the Hotel Shangrila! Matthew Moore, Director of Operations
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We had a fabulous stay at Hotel Shangri-La! We were given a huge suite with very generous accommodations for our family. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms—although no true sitting room or sofa, we had plenty of room to sit, sprawl and roam. We even had a side view of the Pacific, which was all way more room than we expected. Hotel and room were of gorgeous design—art deco luxury. Rooms and bathrooms were immaculate and well appointed with fine quality linens and toiletries.

This location is amazing!Our spectacular view of the ocean was met with a very acceptable walk across Ocean Ave, then over the access-way to cross PCH to the beach. We recognize there are very few (if any?) hotels that have easy access to the beach in this area, so we were very happy with the stunning view from our perch above the ‘cliffs’ of Santa Monica State Beach. We also were thrilled to take advantage of the Farmer’s Market on Arizona as well as easy walking access to so many great restaurants and shops.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hello 'JLS85' -

Thank you for your kind comments. We were happy to have you as our guest and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future! Safe travels, Matthew Moore, Director of Operations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We spent our penultimate night of our wedding & honeymoon trip here - the location is unbeatable, the rooms are modern and comfortable (and very peaceful) and the staff were unbelievably friendly and helpful from the minute we arrived. They allowed us to check in early and also gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and strawberries. Out of the 13 hotels we've stayed in 3 weeks, this is the first to go out of their way to make our honeymoon feel special. Thank you guys.

• Stayed October 2011
Hello 'Actiongt' -
Happy Honeymoon! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your many anniversary visits in the future! All the best, Matthew Moore, Direction of Operations

Been to Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica? Share your experiences!