“The most beautiful hotel in California” 5 of 5 stars

You added Shutters on the Beach to your Saves list
Shutters on the Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405 (Santa Monica)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Michigan
“The most beautiful hotel in California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This is an extremely nice hotel located right on the beach. The service is wonderful (I forgot my comb and the hotel sent an employee to the store to get me one!) , the rooms are large, clean, offer magnificant hot tubs with TV's, nightly turn down service, and Kurig coffee machines. The also have an onsite Spa, at which I recieved the mani/pedi and a body massage, Wow! Excellent! The Santa Monica Pier is located within 5 minutes of walking, Muscle Beach and a chess park is on the boardwalk. The palms, the fresh air, and the ocean are only a few things that this hotel has to offer. They have room service that is unbelievably good, we had ribs, fries and the absolutely magnificant smoothies (made with all fresh ingredients) and it was about $100 for 2 people. When we weren't walking the boardwalk and the beach, we were sitting on the deck and admiring the views. This is definately a 5 star hotel and one that is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Santa Monica, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

My wife and I have been coming to Shutters on the Beach for years, and it'is just one of those incredible places. The rooms are beachy, inviting and have great views of the Pacific. We love One Pico, the chef is wonderful, the wines reasonable compared to other hotel dining spots, and you can't beat the view. Coast, sits right on the strand and makes you feel like your in Nantucket and has a great outdoor spot to enjoy drinks, dinner, etc. It has always held a special place with me. I spent my 35th birthday here and had a small wedding celebration here as well. I can't wait to go back!

Orange County, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed here in early September. We stayed in a partial ocean view room that was cozy but lovely. The linens are luxurious and we loved the bed. What cannot be overemphasized is the location! You are right on the beach and what a beach! It is amazing! The service at the hotel is exemplary, we were treated like movie stars, and there were movie stars in abundance while we stayed.
The restaurants are great. We loved One Pico for its fresh, innovative cuisine and very user-friendly wine list, and the prices are very reasonable.
All in all we have to say that this is one of the best hotel experiences that we have had in the past 10 years,. We can't wait to come back.

Lymington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

A relaxed and charming welcome got things off to a good start. My room wasn't ready so I sat on the porch overlooking the pacific and had a drink. Cold Bloody Mary, hot sunshine. The room was large and well equipped and they even found me a travel adapter in about 30 seconds. The beds are huge and high and mine came with 8 pillows which was a bit over the top.

The Coast Restaurant is airy and the only draw back is that you can't sit outside. The only other shock is the notice in the room saying that some of the food may be cancerous! This is a Californian health fascism directive to do with possible mercury in tuna and toxins in grilling. So it was grilled tuna for dinner without hesitation. The hotel along with all of them in Santa Monica doesn't allow smoking within 25 feet of the property so beware or they will fine you $500.

These tiny but humorous points aside this is a lovely hotel, far nicer than it's cousin Casa del Mar. Stay here and enjoy the ocean, the food and the service.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
SoCal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

First off, whomever is responsible for styling and decorating this hotel should win some kind of award. Every choice of fabric, furniture and even fixtures is superb. It is a joy to behold the rooms and especially the two restaurants.

We arrived around 3:15 in the afternoon, purposely waiting until traditional hotel check-in time and dallying by the pool at the nearby Fairmont Miramar where relatives were staying. Got a VERY good impression of the Miramar, by the way. So it was a bit anticlimactic to arrive with high expectations at Shutters and be told that check-in was not until 4 pm. "Oh, so you must have a very late check-out time?", I queried. No, not really. Check in at 4. Check out at noon. Hmmm. just a bit miffed by this, but settled with the other chumps in the lobby lounge and sipped a Bloody Mary that was all mix with some unidentiable roughage but apparently no alcohol.

4 pm came and went. The manager came over to tell us it would be another half hour or so, even though we'd earlier been told our 3rd-floor room had been vacant since noon. Another twenty minutes was spent on negotiations and finally, we settled for a different room, main floor now but with a balcony. For the uninitiated, Shutters has two buildings, one smaller one right on the beach and a larger one above it. Our room overlooked the boardwalk, which was great during the day; very noisy at night and there is quite a bit of ambient noise in the hallways as well. Not the place to go if you're looking for uninterrupted sleep.

The room was charming. Styled AND merchandised -parents traveling with children may want to sweep the room first to clear out the box of juggling balls and other attractively placed items - all of which are FOR SALE. The beachy decor was spot-on, everything clean as could be. The downsides:

1) the price: combined with the bumpy check-in process, our initial take on Shutters was that it is a supreme rip-off. A quick on-line check suggested that we could have had a suite at the Fairmont for half the price of our room at Shutters. We had just come from a trip to NYC where our 1,000 sq ft 50-th floor midtown view suite cost just a smidge more per night than the tab here at Shutters. You just can't do enough with cute and charming to justify the price point here.

2) the oddly-designed "open" bathroom could present issues, even for the long-married. My spouse took to using the common bathroom down the hall due to the lack of privacy in the room.

3) parking is a nightmare. The hotel entryway is so cramped that cars stack up on Pico creating a traffic jam to enter and leave the property. The valet staff are mostly indifferent and unprofessional.

As the weekend went on, we settled in a bit. Loved Sunday brunch at 1 Pico, their fine-dining restaurant. Excellent service and good food. Loved our tiny balcony - I would definitely choose a balcony room over any other. Before checking out, we also had a breakfast in the casual restaurant, which was bustling - seemingly with locals as well as guests - and just as cleverly designed as the rest of the property.

Would we stay here again? No. Yes.. Maybe. The beach location is so tempting but the price point is just wrong. Never a good idea to make your guests feel like fools for paying too much to stay with you. Most likely we would stay at the Fairmont, which is absolutely lovely and appears to be a heck of a value in comparison. And then head over to Shutters for dinner...

Chicago-
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

I don't get in to LA as often as I used to but I always hope to fit in some time at Shutters. For me it is a respite, an oasis removed from all the other hassles of Los Angeles. I love being on the water but during the summer the beach walk can be noisy and busy as a plus, the people watching is incredible. The rooms are fully equipped and very comfortable and the staff is attentive and responsive without hovering, which I prefer. For me it is a perfect treat and I cannot wait until I return during the winter.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

When I travel up to LA staying in Santa Monica is always recommended. A morning run on the beach helps to deal with LA traffic. Shutters is always right on the mark. It really does not feel like a hotel. I love the rooms and work out area. Waking up and going for a run is the best. The staff is always nice and remembers me and which part of the hotel I like to stay. While I don't get to use the pool much, it always seems that people enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Shutters on the Beach? Share your experiences!