“Heaven on the beach” 5 of 5 stars

You added Shutters on the Beach to your Saves list
Shutters on the Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405 (Santa Monica)   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Loyola, CA
“Heaven on the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

I guess it can't be perfect but it is very close. The rooms are lovely, comfortable and fun. Ours had a yoyo! Room service is efficient and tasty. The lounge is like a living room away from home. And the beach is right outside.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

At $700 a night I expected a sliver of an ocean view, a cup of tea and perhaps a bike. I got none. And not even a phone call from the manager upon requesting one after one of the servers closed the complimentary beverage service down early one morning and told me I could go pay for a drink in the restaurant if I wanted one. What an awful experience for my son and I on our vacation. I was so disappointed in this tired, nothing special place, I couldn't leave fast enough. My kitchen at home was bigger than the room. The shower door leaked and soaked the entire bath floor. The pool is in the shade and the people hated their jobs working there. clearly. What more can I say to encourage one to stay elsewhere. Fancy price tags do not automatically translate to enjoyable experiences. This fell far beyond par. Cut my stay short two nights and went to a place where people were genuinely happy we were there to stay, did not charge us for room service sent wrong and after we waited for an hour and were in bed to get it or that didn't nickle and dime us for ever extra. I probably got charged for the extra towel I had to ask for. Hands down, worst hotel experience in the world, literally.

Room Tip: Choose a place where you won't be hit with an attitude and will be able to enjoy the time you...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
“Dear traceme2kc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. The experiences you describe are not characteristic of the level of service our colleagues strive to provide and we apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. I have personally shared your comments with my team and would be pleased to discuss the details further should you care to do so. Please check your TripAdvisor inbox.

Gregory Day, General Manager
Shutters on the Beach
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

It had been more than ten years ago since the first time I stayed at Shutters. There's a reason why it still is what I think of first when I think of Santa Monica. There is something special about the place even though it's not necessarily the newest of the hotels on Ocean.

Being directly on the beach is great. My room had a view of the ocean and the pier. The service is friendly and helpful. The decor is relaxing. Love the complimentary coffee/tea bar in the morning, snacks and drinks in the evening. Room service food is delicious.

The only thing to note is that the place is showing its age a little. Rooms need better sound proofing to the outside. I heard the trucks and cars outside. The bathroom tiles are a little old. The place needs a little sprucing of the rooms. Decor and little touches are great though. Bed is really high up - the stool is in the closet if you need one.

Room Tip: Doesn't really matter since the hotel is not a high rise, but I would choose one as high up as p...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Our 3rd visit in the last year and our most enjoyable. From the moment of arrival a cheerful welcome from the doormen and an enthusiastic and warm check in. Fortunately we didn't get the grumpy redhead from the last 2 visits. The rooms have a well suited beachy vibe. The beds are divine and the decor elicits a relaxed homely feel. The small separator windows between the bath and bedroom are perfect to maintain a conversation. My wife thought the dermabrasion facial at the in-house spa the best she's had in years. The lobby has a lively feel, and Coast restaurant has a picturesque setting, great menu and very naughty cakes. It's not an excellent review because the price is a bit punchy and the rooms a bit small i.e. value for money is not top of their list. One last thing - restaurants close at 10. I get this is California but overseas visitors like us must find that frustrating. We will be back though if not just for the Coast carrot cake.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is probably one of my favorite hotels. I had the pleasure of staying here for two days for a business meeting. From the first class service when you arrive, to the front desk, to the showing of the room, to the housekeeping turndown at night, service is a priority for them. It's location is right on the beach in Santa Monica with views of the pier from most rooms. The rooms are tastefully decorated in a nautical type theme. Not always my favorite because it is cliche, but so tastefully done I wouldn't mind my house looking like it! The bathrooms are well appointed with red flower amenities. Plus the bath apothecary has some great items to purchase. My room was on the third floor overlooking the water. I was a bit concerned as it was above the busy-ish Ocean Dr., but traffic is minimal at night, so I slept wonderfully. While CA isn't a destination on my travel list I would specifically come back to the LA area just to stay here again. You really can't go wrong with this wonderful hotel!!

Room Tip: Rooms higher up allow better views of the ocean, but really all the rooms, including the lower floor...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
DSM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Shutters on the Beach does a pretty good job of being both a fun beach side hotel and an elegant full-service hotel. First, the fun beachy stuff.
The small pool is tucked between buildings, blocking the wind, but providing plenty of chairs on a tiered deck that allow a great, but narrow view of the beach. Since it was February, there were only a few people sunbathing with me although it was sunny and perfectly comfortable. The lobby has a small balcony right over the beach with a few tables that have the most comfortable people watching in Santa Monica. Down the stairs to the beach, there is a small desk renting chairs and bikes that closes at five, but the attendant said that hotel guests can request a bike after five and the concierge will retrieve it.
Now for the elegance. Our room (317) was small, but packed with amenities. The small bathroom had a single sink, two-person jetted tub and separate shower with side jets that didn't work very well. The tub had a little whale bath toy that the hotel encourages guests to take pictures in various settings and send them to the hotel. Our group enjoyed getting creative with our whale pix (I suppose that should go above with the beach fun!). One wall of the bedroom had bookshelves that housed the TV and a Bose iPod dock, plus books, games and random beach items of interest. They would have come in handy on a rare rainy day. Be careful of the threshold. It's raised about an inch, and although we knew it was there, I tripped over it at least twice a day.
I really liked the lobby. It was full of upholstered furniture with a Nantucket vibe. We ended the day there most evenings with a glass of wine and enjoyed the jazz trio. Sunday breakfast at the beach side restaurant downstairs was really busy, so go early.
Here's a good example of the great service we encountered. After asking the doorman to call a cab for me, he asked how far I was going. Since it was under three miles away, he said the hotel courtesy car would take me. Cool. Then a lovely new Tesla rolled up to take me to the restaurant. Very Cool. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We were glad our room wasn't on the alley that separates the west beach building from the east b...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

There's not much to say about Shutters other than it is wonderful. The hotel feels like the beachside mansion of the rich uncle you wish you had. The rooms are seaside chic, the lobby is seaside elegant and the rest is seaside fun. If there are any negatives they are around the food. Coast, the casual restaurant, and room service did not impress. Two small dings on an otherwise fantastic place. It ain't cheap, but it is worth it.

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Shutters on the Beach? Share your experiences!