“Great Location...Definite 4 Diamond Property...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shutters on the Beach

You added Shutters on the Beach to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
California
“Great Location...Definite 4 Diamond Property...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Spent a couple of nights at Shutters for a conference. This was my first time staying there and was surprised that it wasn't included (to my knowledge) in the AAA Diamond rating system. There are some definite pluses about this place (and a few cons) and I would definite recommend staying here if you are wanting to experience a really nice taste of L.A. by the beach. Here is my detailed review of the place.
Location/Hotel: Located right on along the beach, less than half a mild from the pier. GPS lead me right to it, but I still missed the hotel entrance. I was expecting a grand entrance and was surprised to find a small (very small) circular driveway. Valet seemed to be the only option so I pulled up. Lobby was very nice and checkin was a short walk from the driveway. The hotel is situated on both sides of the street and is connected by an overpass. One of the biggest downside to this hotel is the confusing layout. I did not find out if there was a specific ways the rooms were laid out, but you may have to go up multiple elevators or stairs (up and down) to get to your room. I actually had to escort one of our elderly guests because she didn't remember which stairs to take to get to her room. Second of all, I believe that a very low percentage of the rooms had actual ocean view. Because of the way the rooms were set up, some of the rooms appeared to be hidden behind different structures. However, I love the location and took advantage of it by waking up and going for a run along the beach. Venice pier is 1 mile away and the bike and jogging paths were awesome. Lots of restaurants to eat nearby.
Service: I thought it was actually pretty good. Checkin was a breeze and the receptions offered to walk me to my room (since it was "confusing" to get to). The service we received for our event was good as well. Food service went smoothly. Valet was prompt (as long as you called in advance). I left my toothbrush at home. Within 5 mins of calling, I had one sent to my room. The hotel was also very clean throughout. At 6am, they were washing down the deck by the pool. Fitness facility was well stock and clean. I didn't utilize room service so can't comment. All in all, I was pretty satisfied. Nothing stood out to make it a 5 diamond, but definitely at least a 4.
Room: The set up reminded me of cape cod. Very nicely decorated rooms and followed the vibe of the hotel really well. First, the bathroom I was impressed with. I had a standard room (I think) and it came with both a jacuzzi tub and separate shower. Towels were plentiful (including beach/pool towel). There was also a unique cupboard that had other amenities that you could purchase (razor, sunscreen, and other lotions). The entertainment bookcase had actual books, a nice Bose System (that actually charges your phone), a DVD player, and a couple of kids things (juggling ball and yo-yo). TV was good size and easy to use. The Chair there had too many pillows and was not really appealing to sit in. The desk had a keurig, cordless phone, and lots of outlets for charging. I thought the bed was really comfy. Had a pillowtop down but then there was a firm mattress below. Great night sleep. There was also my bedroom slippers laid out. My room was on the 3rd floor but was street level. Noise level wasn't bad. A tad of a pain to get to from the lobby, but once I found the shortcut, it wasn't too bad. The room was on the smaller side, but the bathroom was decent. If I had to compare, the room setup was similar to another hotel that we visited in Del Mar (L'Auberge). However, the rooms here totally blows that resort out of the water. I would give it a 4/5
Amenities: I did not utilize the restaurants but they looked nice. The pool looked very invitiing. Lots of lounge chairs set up with amazing view of the ocean. No cabana (too small a space). They offer food service pool side. Work out room was nice. Had about 5 treadmills and 3-4 elipticals. They had some interesting weight machines. Only free weights were dumbbells (up to 50-60lbs). I did not utilize the spa.

All in all, a great hotel with a great location. It feels intimate and not large and expansive. I think it is a perfect getaway. Not really kids friendly (so think ahead). Not quite 5 diamonds (service would need to be over the top) but definitely one to check out.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

we used Valet at Shutters to park while we hired bikes and rode along the pier.
On our return we decided to have a nice bottle of wine and a snack late afternoon. The hotel is gorgeous and in such a great position.
Unfortunately the guy that served us was either really inexperienced or just had no idea (I think the latter). I wasn't familiar with the wines and was asking for advice on a dry white - all he came back with was, this one costs x and this is cheaper and etc about the prices? I was embarrassed and didn't know whether to feel insulted or not. I was asking about the wine not the price - I asked if they had a sommelier and he looked at me blankly. He should have been serving in a uni pub not a hotel. We ordered one glass of wine and left for The Viceroy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Riverside, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Shutters has a fantastic location on the beach in Santa Monica. The rooms are very nice and are painstakingly decorated. The restaurant is very good and the location cannot be beat. The only complaint is the service. The staff is inattentive and slow to act. It is mediocre at best. This is unacceptable given the cost of an overnight stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Dukelmp,

I appreciate your constructive criticism, but would dearly like to learn more so that we can correct any issues possible. I have sent you a direct message, please check your inbox. Thank you!

Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I stayed here thanks to a great Corporate rate, loved the room especially the bathroom, luxurious and relaxing decor. Made a business trip feel like vacation. Hotel had their private car take me to my local yoga class. Great product from Red Flower in all rooms and at gym.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer O.,
Thanks so much for staying with us and the nice comments. We LOVE red flower too!

Shutters on the Beach Hotel
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed for three nights and were a little anxious due to having read some of the reviews about staff attitudes! We had nothing but polite and welcoming staff from our arrival! Our room on 7th floor was amazing with views of the Ocean and Santa Monica pier.Those amazing sunsets! Pool was quiet as out of season and again staff were helpful. Spa tub did not really work properly due to some city regulation but was my only negative. Bikes were provided by the hotel and we had an outing along the boardwalk as far as Marina del Rey.Easy walking from hotel to shops and restaurant. Drinks in the bar watching the sun go down and looked after very well by Melody (Muse fan as well!) This hotel is expensive but I had always wanted to stay there. This was our engagement treat and was everything we wanted it to be!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Nerys M,

Thank you for choosing Shutters on the Beach for your engagement celebration. Congratulations! We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you return to celebrate all your anniversaries with us!

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Really great service, clean linens and a lovely restaurant. Very close to santa monica city and the amenities are just lovely. We walked down the beach every day! love it! I think that many different people will enjoy this hotel, couples, solo etc. Dont pass it up, worth the money and better than loews up the road...

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Juan Capistrano, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Can't get any better ! Wonderful accommodations great service and always willing to meet your needs.
Great location on the beach and if you opt for a ocean view you won't be disappointed.
On the expensive side but we'll worth it. If you can ask for high floor corner room.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks Chris A! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Shutters on the Beach Hotel

Been to Shutters on the Beach? Share your experiences!