“Mass hypnosis” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Coral Gables, Florida
“Mass hypnosis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Don't get me wrong. The resort is nice quaint clean and relaxing and stones throw to Santa Monica beach. It's just not a 4/5 star resort. Front desk staff was good not great. Concierge too. Same goes for spa. 1 Pico restaurant was a good experience but other restaurant on property was a big disappointment for late dinner. Rooms are on small side but w nice baths. Overall I prefer the Fairmont Miramar nearby.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed here as a stop over hoping to enjoy the Santa Monica beach. Compared to beaches around the world, this is disappointing. The water is 500 yards away. Breakfast is offered in a restaurant and the nemesis traditional hotel fare, nothing special. A buffet would more welcome. Don't ask for a room with a water view unless you know the room as their idea of sea view is with a telescope. I would trade wifi access for free for an extra $10 in the room rate. Why do they try and gouge us for such a basic commodity. Would they charge for soap and water? I would stay there again

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Corona Del Mar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the minute you step on the property you know it's special. From the valets to the front desk personnel to the wait staff all are well trained and hospitable. The rooms are small but well appointed. The price is steep but well worth it. A great property for a special occasion.

Room Tip: get a room overlooking pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

It's a pretty hotel. The bed was comfortable but it takes up the whole room so you have to lie in bed to watch TV. Internet is not included in the room fee. The outlet to charge an IPhone didn't work. There was nothing special in any way that could justify the price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hello FrancesWithAnE,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your response about your recent stay here at Shutters on the Beach. I'm truly sorry about your experience in our room and the troubles you had with the outlet. We will use your response to assist us in making a better experience for all of our guest.

Gregory Day, General Manager
Shutters on the Beach
Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a very nice hotel on a beautiful spot, next to the clean beaches of Santa Monica. Very friendly service and superb rooms. Personally, I have preferred the casual COAST restaurant to the more fancy signature restaurant that serves dinners. If you go to COAST restaurant, we highly recommend the Coast Burger which was the best Burger we had on a two weeks trip through California. Try also the red velvet cake if you are not on a diet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from a lovely weekend at Shutters!

Splurged on a “Premier Ocean View King”, and the hotel was able to honor my request to be placed in the Beach house side of the property, so I was thrilled. But I must say that based on some of the reviews, I had some anxiety on the trip there; they state right up front that there is no guarantee that your requests will be granted. I “think” I may have been disappointed if I was assigned the Ocean House, since it is across the street, but it’s hard to say. I’m sure the view is stunning from the higher floors there as well.

But I digress…the room was lovely and a decent size. Very light and airy feel and I liked that you could open the tub area up to the room if desired. Lots of great books to peruse in the room! Patio is super tiny, but I liked having the option to sit outside with coffee or a glass of wine to watch the sunset or the lights of the Ferris wheel on the pier. Easy walk to the pier, although the pier itself was a disappointment unless you are into dirty carnivals.

The lobby jazz trio was excellent, as was the pianist. We found the lobby service a bit inconsistent, but we weren’t in a hurry and enjoyed settling into the comfy chairs at the end of the day.

The workout facility is gorgeous and large with more than the usual array of hotel machine fare. I was wishing I had discovered the pool/patio area sooner – it looked pretty inviting.

I really REALLY wanted to give this property and excellent rating. I wanted it to BE an excellent rating, given my high expectation and the high price of the room. It is my first foray into beach front properties in Santa Monica, so I have nothing to compare it to there. But I am a self-professed Beach Front junky so I have a pretty sizable measuring stick…and for the price, this property fell a little short, if only by an inch or two.

The beach “front” sits right over a boardwalk, which is not as private as I like, but makes for interesting people watching. The beach is quite a large expanse, so you don’t get the wonderful surf sounds that lull you to sleep at night and drown out some of the “humanity”.

The room was “clean enough” and tidy but not stellar. There were a few dried on crumbs stuck to things and a little mold in the shower.

There is some sort of drainage channel on the beach, and the last night we were there is rained and a bunch of trash seemed to drain out of the channel and onto the beach and even out to the sea. We’re talking dirty diapers, bags with dog poop, prescription bottles, etc. etc. YUK. I definitely did not want to walk barefoot in the sand…

The first night we were there, at 2:30 A.M. a rather large, LOUD group of partiers arrived, cranked up the music and carried on like it was 1999. While we appreciate a good time, this was beyond rude. It took the hotel three tries and multiple calls from multiple guests to get them to stop. We could hear everything. I admit it was a little entertaining to hear the guest ask security to “bring them some coffees” but still…

On the last night there, we were awakened by a false fire alarm at 6:30 A.M. No answer at the front desk when I called to inquire. Finally a hotel staff member came to our floor and told everyone (who had now assembled in the hall) that it was OK.
The hotel did step up on that one at check out and gave us $50.00 off of a room service order, so that was a nice gesture. Speaking of room service, we had breakfast in our room 3 mornings and each time it was warm and tasty and delivered in a timely fashion.

We ate in every restaurant on the property, and honestly? Meh. There were a few outstanding dessert items such as the butterscotch pudding at Coast and the PB&J Parfait at 1Pico.

I give the hotel staff an “excellent” for the most part. Hassan in reservations was especially helpful.

Also of note is that we had zero issue with theft from our room. In fact, we left tips for housekeeping on the nightstand and they did not take them for a couple of days! Left a Nook on the desk charging and it was still there when we returned.

NOTE – if you use American Express Platinum to make your reservation, you can get a onetime $100.00 resort credit, some food credits and a late check-out. But you must make your reservation through AMEX, not the hotel. But one wonders if booking through an agent puts your special room request to the back of the bus…wait…did I just say that our loud?

I might try another property if I go back, but beachfront pickin’s are surprisingly slim in Santa Monica.

All in all, I’d say this Beach Front Junkie got her fix…but it was a pricey one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Shutters April 25-28; we were in town for a conference. From the moment we walked in, the staff were so pleasant and helpful. The decor does give the feeling that you are in New England; there is a real attention to detail. It is a rather large property and it was a good walk to our room which was slated for "handicapped". (The bathroom didn't have a tub, but a shower with a shower bench and rails) I think it would be challenging for a true handicapped individual to come and go given the distance to the lobby. However, we were happy with the room. It was not an ocean view, but when we were on the balcony, we could catch a glimpse of the ocean.
The pool is heated to 80 °, and there is a hot tub. We did not partake in these activities as it was quite chilly while we were there.
We did enjoy the jazz band that played on the weekend while enjoying an adult beverage in the lobby lounge.
I also recommend walking to the 3rd Street Promenade. There is a lovely outdoor mall there and lots of street performers which were entertaining.
We did not have an issue with items going missing/ theft at all. The cleaning service were very thorough and friendly. There is a room safe available as well.
We ate breakfast at the Coast Beach Cafe, which was pricey, (I believe $14 mimosa) but very good.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Shutters on the Beach? Share your experiences!