We spent 12 days at the Shutters in October. The location is excellent, the pool was outstanding and housekeeping did an outstanding job maintaining the cleanliness of the rooms. The Monday night specials at the Coast Restaurant were very good and Jesse was very helpful and pleasant to talk to. Also, there was a young lady working at the pool each day it was opened, that I thought was personable and did an outstanding job even though we never ordered anything from the pool bar/grill. The majority of staff were very friendly and helpful.
My biggest disappointment was with the room. There is a wall with built-in shelves filled with books. However, the space in my opinion could have been more functional to store items especially when you are there for an extended stay. Also, there were six or seven pillows on each bed. Each night you had to find a place for the unused pillows. The Keurig coffee pot had to be stored every night because there was no room for it. Also, I hate the single server coffee pots. Nightly the turn down service asked if you need more bottled water or ice. However, if you wanted ice before they showed up, it did not say where you could get it. Also, each night we would close the window between the bathroom and the bedroom. It must be on the maid's checklist because each day the maid reopened the window.
The front entrance is a mess. The hotel I believe only has valet service so there are constantly cars there, but if you walk out the front entrance you either weave through the cars that are jockeyed around or you walk out the side on a very narrow and hazardous sidewalk. My biggest disappointment at the Shutters was the other guests. We spent a considerable amount of time at the pool and heard some strange comments/requests from other guests directed at the staff. If you want Tuna salad, then you should order Tuna salad. If you order Tuna and get Tuna, but you wanted Tuna salad then should admit your mistake and pay for the Tuna. There were a number of other situations where it just seemed unreasonable demands were placed on the staff, but staff responded in a courteous and accommodating manor. Others would probably look at this as a definite positive, but it made me uncomfortable.
- Also Known As:
- Shutters On The Beach Hotel Santa Monica
- Shutters Beach
- Shutters On The Beach Hotel
- Shutters Santa Monica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shutters on the Beach is more than just a spectacular place to stay, it’s the epitome of Southern California’s breezy lifestyle. This captivating hotel is located directly on the sand and within walking distance of the area’s biggest attractions including the Santa Monica Pier and hundreds of shops and restaurants. For business or pleasure, this quintessential beachfront hideaway is known as the place the high-profile go to be low-profile. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, LHW, Booking.com, Tingo, Otel, Fareportal and Venere so you can book your Shutters on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.