“Not as Good As I Expected” 4 of 5 stars

You added Shutters on the Beach to your Saves list
Shutters on the Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Santa Monica
Madison Wi
“Not as Good As I Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent 12 days at the Shutters in October. The location is excellent, the pool was outstanding and housekeeping did an outstanding job maintaining the cleanliness of the rooms. The Monday night specials at the Coast Restaurant were very good and Jesse was very helpful and pleasant to talk to. Also, there was a young lady working at the pool each day it was opened, that I thought was personable and did an outstanding job even though we never ordered anything from the pool bar/grill. The majority of staff were very friendly and helpful.

My biggest disappointment was with the room. There is a wall with built-in shelves filled with books. However, the space in my opinion could have been more functional to store items especially when you are there for an extended stay. Also, there were six or seven pillows on each bed. Each night you had to find a place for the unused pillows. The Keurig coffee pot had to be stored every night because there was no room for it. Also, I hate the single server coffee pots. Nightly the turn down service asked if you need more bottled water or ice. However, if you wanted ice before they showed up, it did not say where you could get it. Also, each night we would close the window between the bathroom and the bedroom. It must be on the maid's checklist because each day the maid reopened the window.

The front entrance is a mess. The hotel I believe only has valet service so there are constantly cars there, but if you walk out the front entrance you either weave through the cars that are jockeyed around or you walk out the side on a very narrow and hazardous sidewalk. My biggest disappointment at the Shutters was the other guests. We spent a considerable amount of time at the pool and heard some strange comments/requests from other guests directed at the staff. If you want Tuna salad, then you should order Tuna salad. If you order Tuna and get Tuna, but you wanted Tuna salad then should admit your mistake and pay for the Tuna. There were a number of other situations where it just seemed unreasonable demands were placed on the staff, but staff responded in a courteous and accommodating manor. Others would probably look at this as a definite positive, but it made me uncomfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having heard rave reviews of Shutters for years we decided to try it when visiting family in LA. Upon check-in (we arrived an hour before the stated check-in time) we were told our room was not ready. When I asked when it will be, a surly person at the check-in desk replied "ITS BEFORE CHECK IN TIME, IT’S NOT READY!" I reiterated my question and was told "it is being turned over" I asked how long that takes and was then told "Engineering is in the room." Having travelled a fair bit this was of concern to me as I did not want a recurring issue. When I asked why engineering was in the room I was told "It is not your business, you arrived before check-in time, I will let you know when the room is ready, are you finished?!" Taken aback we walked away to sit by the gorgeous bar and enjoy the view of the pacific. A few minutes later we were told the room was ready, and "I HOPE it was important and you really needed to get into the room" when handed our keys....a very sour note to start off a $600/night stay.

The room was great. However, not sound proofed and you could hear all the street noise (motor cycles, garbage trucks, horns 24/hrs. a day) ask for an interior room.

The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever, I repeat, ever, slept on! Kudos!

Other than the rude gentleman at check-in the staff (especially at Coast for breakfast) was just wonderful. Friendly, anticipating needs and always there to help.

The pool, well we were there in November, had no towels out for guests. If not for a helpful maid who walked by and offered us some it would have been quite chilly. Not a 5 star experience.

Other reviews have said that unless you are someone famous the staff treats you as a second class citizen, had I only interacted with the one person at the front desk I'd agree, however the rest of the staff nearly made up for it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear LuxHappy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for bringing your encounter at the front desk to my attention. The behavior of our front desk agent was most certainly uncalled for and inappropriate, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the way you were treated. Rest assured I will address this issue with our employees to reinforce the importance of resolving guest inconveniences in a polite and respectful manner. That being said I hope this experience will not deter you from future visits to Shutters on the Beach.

Kindly,
Gregory Day
General Manager, Shutters on the Beach
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

i enjoyed the decor, position and views, but was annoyed at how far we had to walk to get to our room, we had to change lifts and walk around the entire hotel each time we needed to get access to our room and overall i felt it was overpriced for what we had....pity as its such a good spot, but needs to be more user friendly..........

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have wanted to stay here for years and except the first night when we had to change rooms due to the Internet not working for some unknown reason it was a wonderful stay.
We had a spa room off the pool which does not have a view but is a large room with a terrace and direct access to the pool area. The rooms looking directly on the beach looked amazing.
The lobby is a bit scary when you come in first. It's a hive of activity and is loud, however when you get used to it it's interesting.
Pool area is lovely. There are chairs on the beach too.
Restaurant at beach level is busy, casual and average. Breakfast here was better than dinner.
Concierge was helpful and the town car came in handy for the shopping!
Parking at the front of hotel was a bit of a nightmare.

Room Tip: There are Internet blind spots so beware. A spa room is large enough for an accompanying teenager.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Just spent 6 nights with Shutters for work and pleasure. I go every year at the same time and each year it gets better. From the style to the position to the service, everything in this hotel is sublime. Nothing is too much to ask from the courteous staff and this ambient approach is reflected throughout the hotel. Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

Stayed October 2012
switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here with my family again in October for a few nights before we had to go home. It was really nice to come back here and I was surprised that we were welcomed "back". I thought this was a really nice touch. We booked the same rooms again because they are connecting, and although they are on the small side, I decided that I still really like them. They are beautifully decorated (nothing changed from our visit last year, I am just noticing it again), and I think the color palette of pastel blues and sea greens is very calming and perfectly in keeping with the views outside.
I love the views! I love to wake up to see sunrise over the ocean, and all the surfers out there on their boards!!! This alone is worth a visit to Santa Monica!
I used the concierge this time and he was awesome. So, so nice and he could do really absolutely everything. I feel like if I tried to order the moon I could have had that sent to our door!
I also used the fitness center. I liked it. Cozy, intimate, the machines were not the newest but definitely not old - there was a nice free weights area too.
Everyone who worked there whom we encountered was very very nice - also the housekeeping ladies. My only observation would be that, for families with children, perhaps housekeeping could try to come before 7 pm; our ladies were coming at 9 pm and that was a bit too late because we were all so tired from all the fun we were having!
We ate at Coast, the food was really good and thank God they serve vegetables so that is something great. Service also good, nice people there. I had breakfast there two mornings and enjoyed it very much, the atmosphere is also awesome.
I still liked it! I will still go back! Still can't manage to get a seat in the lounge though... :-(
That is my goal for the next trip.

Room Tip: If you take full ocean view, your room looks over the parking lot. That isn't so great, but it i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

There really are very few high-end hotels where you feel that every dollar spent is worth it. Shutters is one of those places. Every detail makes you feel like you have the comforts of home times a thousand. The beds are absolutely the most comfortable I have ever slept in, and the only reason I even get out of them in the morning is to eat the delicious breakfast downstairs at Coast. Jacuzzi tubs, high-def flat screens, shelves full of good books, and even a place to plug in your ipod just add to the fun and the experience. In the evening, hang out in the plush lobby and listen to a world-class jazz band while sipping a wine from their incredible list. Then eat a world-class dinner at One Pico before heading back to your room and diving back into that incredible bed. Heaven.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shutters on the Beach? Share your experiences!