“Not Quite 5 Stars” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 hotels in Santa Monica
Ithaca, NY
“Not Quite 5 Stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having heard rave reviews of Shutters for years we decided to try it when visiting family in LA. Upon check-in (we arrived an hour before the stated check-in time) we were told our room was not ready. When I asked when it will be, a surly person at the check-in desk replied "ITS BEFORE CHECK IN TIME, IT’S NOT READY!" I reiterated my question and was told "it is being turned over" I asked how long that takes and was then told "Engineering is in the room." Having travelled a fair bit this was of concern to me as I did not want a recurring issue. When I asked why engineering was in the room I was told "It is not your business, you arrived before check-in time, I will let you know when the room is ready, are you finished?!" Taken aback we walked away to sit by the gorgeous bar and enjoy the view of the pacific. A few minutes later we were told the room was ready, and "I HOPE it was important and you really needed to get into the room" when handed our keys....a very sour note to start off a $600/night stay.

The room was great. However, not sound proofed and you could hear all the street noise (motor cycles, garbage trucks, horns 24/hrs. a day) ask for an interior room.

The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever, I repeat, ever, slept on! Kudos!

Other than the rude gentleman at check-in the staff (especially at Coast for breakfast) was just wonderful. Friendly, anticipating needs and always there to help.

The pool, well we were there in November, had no towels out for guests. If not for a helpful maid who walked by and offered us some it would have been quite chilly. Not a 5 star experience.

Other reviews have said that unless you are someone famous the staff treats you as a second class citizen, had I only interacted with the one person at the front desk I'd agree, however the rest of the staff nearly made up for it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear LuxHappy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for bringing your encounter at the front desk to my attention. The behavior of our front desk agent was most certainly uncalled for and inappropriate, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the way you were treated. Rest assured I will address this issue with our employees to reinforce the importance of resolving guest inconveniences in a polite and respectful manner. That being said I hope this experience will not deter you from future visits to Shutters on the Beach.

Kindly,
Gregory Day
General Manager, Shutters on the Beach

728 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

i enjoyed the decor, position and views, but was annoyed at how far we had to walk to get to our room, we had to change lifts and walk around the entire hotel each time we needed to get access to our room and overall i felt it was overpriced for what we had....pity as its such a good spot, but needs to be more user friendly..........

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have wanted to stay here for years and except the first night when we had to change rooms due to the Internet not working for some unknown reason it was a wonderful stay.
We had a spa room off the pool which does not have a view but is a large room with a terrace and direct access to the pool area. The rooms looking directly on the beach looked amazing.
The lobby is a bit scary when you come in first. It's a hive of activity and is loud, however when you get used to it it's interesting.
Pool area is lovely. There are chairs on the beach too.
Restaurant at beach level is busy, casual and average. Breakfast here was better than dinner.
Concierge was helpful and the town car came in handy for the shopping!
Parking at the front of hotel was a bit of a nightmare.

Room Tip: There are Internet blind spots so beware. A spa room is large enough for an accompanying teenager.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Just spent 6 nights with Shutters for work and pleasure. I go every year at the same time and each year it gets better. From the style to the position to the service, everything in this hotel is sublime. Nothing is too much to ask from the courteous staff and this ambient approach is reflected throughout the hotel. Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

Stayed October 2012
switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed here with my family again in October for a few nights before we had to go home. It was really nice to come back here and I was surprised that we were welcomed "back". I thought this was a really nice touch. We booked the same rooms again because they are connecting, and although they are on the small side, I decided that I still really like them. They are beautifully decorated (nothing changed from our visit last year, I am just noticing it again), and I think the color palette of pastel blues and sea greens is very calming and perfectly in keeping with the views outside.
I love the views! I love to wake up to see sunrise over the ocean, and all the surfers out there on their boards!!! This alone is worth a visit to Santa Monica!
I used the concierge this time and he was awesome. So, so nice and he could do really absolutely everything. I feel like if I tried to order the moon I could have had that sent to our door!
I also used the fitness center. I liked it. Cozy, intimate, the machines were not the newest but definitely not old - there was a nice free weights area too.
Everyone who worked there whom we encountered was very very nice - also the housekeeping ladies. My only observation would be that, for families with children, perhaps housekeeping could try to come before 7 pm; our ladies were coming at 9 pm and that was a bit too late because we were all so tired from all the fun we were having!
We ate at Coast, the food was really good and thank God they serve vegetables so that is something great. Service also good, nice people there. I had breakfast there two mornings and enjoyed it very much, the atmosphere is also awesome.
I still liked it! I will still go back! Still can't manage to get a seat in the lounge though... :-(
That is my goal for the next trip.

Room Tip: If you take full ocean view, your room looks over the parking lot. That isn't so great, but it i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

There really are very few high-end hotels where you feel that every dollar spent is worth it. Shutters is one of those places. Every detail makes you feel like you have the comforts of home times a thousand. The beds are absolutely the most comfortable I have ever slept in, and the only reason I even get out of them in the morning is to eat the delicious breakfast downstairs at Coast. Jacuzzi tubs, high-def flat screens, shelves full of good books, and even a place to plug in your ipod just add to the fun and the experience. In the evening, hang out in the plush lobby and listen to a world-class jazz band while sipping a wine from their incredible list. Then eat a world-class dinner at One Pico before heading back to your room and diving back into that incredible bed. Heaven.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxnard, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Shutters has been my "home away from home" for all business travels to California since the mid 1990's. The staff is the best and has always been willing to accomodate my every need, whether business or pleasure. When meeting with clients at Shutters, you feel as comfortable as you would in your own office, with the added benefit of dynamite views of the ocean, wonderful dining options and a location directly on the beach, not on some adjacent street claiming oceanfront, as many hotels in Santa Monica, such as Lowes, like to do. The rooms are quite unique, with elegant design florishes reminiscent of an early California beach house, feathring outdoor decks, and the best beds and linens money can buy. I would recommend staying in the "beach house" section of the hotel if possible, request a full or partial ocean view, the room with a fireplace, or the one with a small kitchen. However, any room at Shutters on the Beach, is a great experience.

Room Tip: Request a room with a direct ocean view and in the "beach house" if possible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Shutters on the Beach? Share your experiences!