Having heard rave reviews of Shutters for years we decided to try it when visiting family in LA. Upon check-in (we arrived an hour before the stated check-in time) we were told our room was not ready. When I asked when it will be, a surly person at the check-in desk replied "ITS BEFORE CHECK IN TIME, IT’S NOT READY!" I reiterated my question and was told "it is being turned over" I asked how long that takes and was then told "Engineering is in the room." Having travelled a fair bit this was of concern to me as I did not want a recurring issue. When I asked why engineering was in the room I was told "It is not your business, you arrived before check-in time, I will let you know when the room is ready, are you finished?!" Taken aback we walked away to sit by the gorgeous bar and enjoy the view of the pacific. A few minutes later we were told the room was ready, and "I HOPE it was important and you really needed to get into the room" when handed our keys....a very sour note to start off a $600/night stay.
The room was great. However, not sound proofed and you could hear all the street noise (motor cycles, garbage trucks, horns 24/hrs. a day) ask for an interior room.
The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever, I repeat, ever, slept on! Kudos!
Other than the rude gentleman at check-in the staff (especially at Coast for breakfast) was just wonderful. Friendly, anticipating needs and always there to help.
The pool, well we were there in November, had no towels out for guests. If not for a helpful maid who walked by and offered us some it would have been quite chilly. Not a 5 star experience.
Other reviews have said that unless you are someone famous the staff treats you as a second class citizen, had I only interacted with the one person at the front desk I'd agree, however the rest of the staff nearly made up for it.
- Also Known As:
- Shutters On The Beach Hotel Santa Monica
- Shutters Beach
- Shutters On The Beach Hotel
- Shutters Santa Monica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shutters on the Beach is more than just a spectacular place to stay, it’s the epitome of Southern California’s breezy lifestyle. This captivating hotel is located directly on the sand and within walking distance of the area’s biggest attractions including the Santa Monica Pier and hundreds of shops and restaurants. For business or pleasure, this quintessential beachfront hideaway is known as the place the high-profile go to be low-profile. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, LHW, Olotels, Otel, Hotwire, Venere, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Shutters on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.