“Worst Place to Stay in Santa Maria” 1 of 5 stars

Rose Garden Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1007 East Main Street, Santa Maria, CA 93454   |
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
Traverse City, Michigan
“Worst Place to Stay in Santa Maria”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

The Rose Garden is a terrible motel. We checked in at 4pm and were in a hurry to see family at an assisted living home. We got back at 10pm to shower and sleep only to find the shower did not work as the handle would not turn the valve stem. As we looked about the room, the floor had oil stains and the bathroom caulk and floor molding was dark and coming apart. When we checked out at 8am we asked for a refund but were given none, being told we should have called the desk at 10pm to let them know that the shower didn't work. This is not a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Always look at reviews. If only one is very negative, don't go to that motel/hotel. When ge...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Santa Maria, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We had picked this hotel for the low price and low pet fee. Room was decent. It was raining that evening so all night we had to listen the rain dripping on the gutter pipe, which sounded like a coffee pot brewing coffee. The shower had no hot water, we ran the water for over 20 minutes with no change in temperature even after turning the shower handle all the way in each direction thinking it might possibly reversed where cold is hot and hot is cold, still no hot water. We called the front desk about it and the lady at the desk said she was sending someone out, over an hour later we called again, this time she told us to try the reverse method and that it would work, it didnt since we had already tried that, about 30 minutes later the lady called our room and said she checked the room next to ours for hot water and it had hot water and that we were doing something wrong (its not rocket science to figure out how to use a shower.) She came to our room only to turn the faucet on in the sink and point out the hot water coming from the sink, we told her we dont take showers in the sink after the second time she pointed out the hot water in sink. She continued to argue with us about it, we then asked if we could move to a different room and were denied, I couldnt believe how we were treated, she was asked to leave our room. I myself work at a hotel and from have stayed at many hotels over the years and from my experience the guest is top priority and if they are not happy with something, we do whats necessary to make their stay a pleasurable one, that includes switching them to a different room as they requested. I will not be recommending or referring anyone to stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I was on my own, having dropped my daughter off at college in LA, and wanted a day in a new wine country. It was price and location which dictated my choice of this hotel which is just off the 101 Fwy in the charming town of Santa Maria in central California (population about 100K).
I paid under $70 with taxes (Sunday night, holiday weekend) and this included breakfast (juice, coffee, self-made waffles and muffins). The room was large enough, clean, and included a secure Wi-Fi Internet connection. The three other hotels which I visited earlier had WiFi without passwords which meant that anyone near the hotel could theoretically hack into any hotel guest's Internet session. I don't know if it's a problem, but I felt better when I was given an ID and pw which was generated for just me.
The TV, though the old cathode-ray style, worked fine and was enclosed in a cabinet when not being viewed. The bed was comfortable; there was a separate mirror and counter outside the bathroom. The bathroom had one of the oldest and largest water tanks wasting a lot of water, but the shower compensated for this.
Unlike almost all new showers in America, this one had a valve which not only controlled temperature but water volume. I get annoyed every time I'm in a shower which only had one flow: excessive. Somewhere along the line someone must have gotten burned when he/she couldn't control the temperature and volume while showering, so now every new hotel in America has temperature control only. The result is an unconscionable amount of water wasted!
There was a pretty large, fully fenced-in pool; an ice machine and some vending machines. I was told there was a supermarket and several fast foot restaurants within two blocks in each direction.
The staff was friendly, but knew nothing about the surrounding wineries.
There was a brochure in the lobby mapping out the local wineries and that was helpful, though I have found the best way to map out a tour among the numerous wineries in any new area is to start with one at the start of the "trail" and get recommendations from the staff or other guests once you've made it clear what style of wines you prefer. I've found some gems that way.
It turns out that, though only an inch apart on the map, the wineries in Santa Maria were 5-10 miles apart on winding, beautiful vineyard covered low hills and valleys. I visited Kenneth Volk which is known for creating unusual wines from little heard-of varietals; I also visited Zaca Mesa. Though far from the beaten path, the wineries in this area have a good flow of visitors and I had fun meeting new wine-enthusiasts.
Santa Maria puts you near other fabulous wine areas, in order of my preference: Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara ("Sideways" country). Further north is the Hearst Castle which is always worth a visit, but remember to reserve tour tickets (only way to see it) on the Internet before you go.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Where to start,, The good, it is cheap, right off the freeway, Gas & Diesel right across the street, and the night manager was very nice. The bad, bad neighborhood at night. Iffy during the day. I was road weary and needed a place to call it a night, The room was fair, not good, but fair. The bed was clean, the floor was not. I decided to do a small load of laundry, but after seeing the machines decided not too. The parking lot was very busy all night with some very shady characters. I finally just had to bite the bullet hope my truck was ok and go to sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Bakersfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We were on a trip to the coast and stayed later then we planned and had to find a room. The beds were comfortable and the hotel was fairly clean, but really run down. the room we had did not have a security lock on the door and the interior was pretty well worn. The windos opened, but there were no screens on the windows. The front desk staff was very friendly at check in and engaged us in cheery conversaion. There was a large group of oil field workers and it did get a little noisy when they left early for work. Hte hotle will do if you just want an inexpensive place to ge a nights sleep.

Room Tip: There is a Denny's right next door. Hotel is easy to get to form the 101 freeway
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Suffolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This hotel is okay nothing more nothing less, we stayed one night on our way north from LA. Wouldn't want more than one night here - cheap and cheerful is the best way to describe it. Could really do with a make over is tired and a bit tatty but served its purpose for us.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
santa maria, ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

The room was SMALL ,the carpet smelled, the bathroom tub had rust and these were the most positive aspects I could find in this motel room. Desk personel were rude and spoke very little English...Oh and did I mention the Pet deposit of $10. We used the phone to make reservations at another motel and gave our pass key to a homeless couple we met in the parking lot. Rather lose $70 than take home their bedbugs!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Rose Garden Inn? Share your experiences!