“STAY AWAY!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
Los Angeles, California
“STAY AWAY!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Asked for a non-smoking room but got a smoking room anyways. Then it turned out there were no non-smoking rooms. Lost out on $70. I left to another hotel after only about 2 hours. Shower was horrible, and dirty and NO TOWELS! I've stood at other Motel 6s before so I know they only provide the basic which is okay, I'm not picky (its not a Hilton obviously), but this place does not even provide the minimum. The only convenience of this hotel is that is right of the highway, but if you drive more into town away from the highway, there is a Best Western and Travelodge. The Travelodge was really good. Slept like a baby (in a room by the front office.. I've heard the rooms by the back are not as good). As for this MOTEL 6, just STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
MrsRoro
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked our room the day before our stay due to original lodging plans cancelled for our daughter's softball tournament over the weekend. During my online reservation I seemed to have reserved the last room and it was smoking. We were desperate and on a budget seeing that all other places were asking for $200+ We called and asked to keep an eye for a non smoking room for us. When we checked in we got lucky! Non smoking it was. I was a little skeptical of the place based on other reviews and the fact that there seem to be young people hanging out drinking beer outside their room at 6pm. The room was average but surprisingly clean. My complaints: the TV was a box tv, they should definitely upgrade and most channels were blurry but I wasn't there to watch tv so I didn't bother me so much. The shower was super small but it had hot water which is what I needed. The beds... The comforter had cigarette burns, the mattress was not like my own bed, woke up with a sore back but I got some sleep. Overall I'm glad I stayed there, I've paid a lot more money in other places for the same quality. We were out of there the next morning by 9 so I dont have any other reviews.

• Stayed July 2013
Los Angeles, California, Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

When I arrived in my room, there were no towels, a broken phone on the bed, the power button on the TV was pushed in and stuck, the TV remote didn't work and the carpet was dirty and smelly. At night, I noticed the pillows even smelled. The WiFi, which isn't free and I expected that at a Motel 6 was extremely slow as if it was dialup access or a slow DSL connection. I won't stay there again.

Room Tip: There are two hotels next door, the Holiday Inn & Suites and the Fairfield Inn so try tehm inste...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Santa maria, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

They tell the house keepers they have 13 mins to clean a check when they start out, but if its not done in 7 mins, their given a lecture at the morning metting in front of every one that you need to speed it up!! They don't have enough time to clean toilets, or change beds!!!! Also, if you leave a tip, make sure you give it to them..or the head housekeeper, who checks rooms before housekeeper gets to it, including stay overs!! Beware..plus the pool is disgusting!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Palo Alto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Travelling with the whole family (7 of us) to the Oceano Beach dunes, we had reserved two non-smoking rooms but when we got there the rooms smelled of smoking very bad. I stayed at this same motel once before and didn’t have a problem, so I was surprised this time the rooms had such a bad stench. We went and asked the manager for different rooms but the place was full – being Labor Day weekend and all. He did go to the room and checked it out personally and explained that sometimes people will smoke in a non-smoking room and they will leave the bad smell behind. He was helpful and agreed to let us walk away and refund the cost of the rooms. Just wish they would check the rooms before renting them to avoid wasting so much time and money on rooms that are not clean.

Room Tip: Always have a plan B if you get last minute surprises like this..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Morro Bay, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The gal who refunded my money deserved a star, I suppose. The room I got had a broken front door, evidence of a disaster; a party going on outside.
I decided to go elsewhere. While I stood in the lobby I watched a guy come up with no car, rent a room with cash, and take a key.
Another was told by the clerk "that room was tooken" and offered another. Perhaps it was just a large city, but it was enough for me...

Room Tip: don't go there at all. (After reading this other review I am glad I left and didn't have to...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Valley Center, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We just blew into this motel unannounced at 2 am in the middle of a long drive. We only stayed for 5 hours and all we needed was a clean, quiet, safe, cheap place to stay and it fulfilled those minimum requirements. For the price it was not what I expected, but in a good way. There wasn't a musty smell or peeling wallpaper or a leaky faucet and it didn't feel gross walking across the carpet barefoot. There were 3 of us in a double room; it was small but not cramped, we didn't use the TV, didn't need ice or try all the lamps but while not new, it was clean and extremely quiet. No amenities here, bring your own everything except bar soap & towels. No trash at all in the parking lot and was it convenient to the highway. From reading prior reviews, I suspect either they've cleaned it up or it's chancy which room you get but I had no complaints. In other motels I've stayed we've spent a longer period of time there so have had more time to look around and find thing wrong but for a brief time to rest off the road it was perfectly fine.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Santa Maria? Share your experiences!