“Good Manager, Bad Room” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
Palo Alto, California
“Good Manager, Bad Room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Travelling with the whole family (7 of us) to the Oceano Beach dunes, we had reserved two non-smoking rooms but when we got there the rooms smelled of smoking very bad. I stayed at this same motel once before and didn’t have a problem, so I was surprised this time the rooms had such a bad stench. We went and asked the manager for different rooms but the place was full – being Labor Day weekend and all. He did go to the room and checked it out personally and explained that sometimes people will smoke in a non-smoking room and they will leave the bad smell behind. He was helpful and agreed to let us walk away and refund the cost of the rooms. Just wish they would check the rooms before renting them to avoid wasting so much time and money on rooms that are not clean.

Room Tip: Always have a plan B if you get last minute surprises like this..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Morro Bay, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The gal who refunded my money deserved a star, I suppose. The room I got had a broken front door, evidence of a disaster; a party going on outside.
I decided to go elsewhere. While I stood in the lobby I watched a guy come up with no car, rent a room with cash, and take a key.
Another was told by the clerk "that room was tooken" and offered another. Perhaps it was just a large city, but it was enough for me...

Room Tip: don't go there at all. (After reading this other review I am glad I left and didn't have to...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Valley Center, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We just blew into this motel unannounced at 2 am in the middle of a long drive. We only stayed for 5 hours and all we needed was a clean, quiet, safe, cheap place to stay and it fulfilled those minimum requirements. For the price it was not what I expected, but in a good way. There wasn't a musty smell or peeling wallpaper or a leaky faucet and it didn't feel gross walking across the carpet barefoot. There were 3 of us in a double room; it was small but not cramped, we didn't use the TV, didn't need ice or try all the lamps but while not new, it was clean and extremely quiet. No amenities here, bring your own everything except bar soap & towels. No trash at all in the parking lot and was it convenient to the highway. From reading prior reviews, I suspect either they've cleaned it up or it's chancy which room you get but I had no complaints. In other motels I've stayed we've spent a longer period of time there so have had more time to look around and find thing wrong but for a brief time to rest off the road it was perfectly fine.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Came to Santa Maria for a few day's for a business trip. Overall I saved myself ateast $100.00 Bucks comparison from other Hotels in the area. I was happy with my stay and served it's purpose and saved some Loot. Everyone was very nice and I was able to get some rest as well. SO I was Happy camper.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Riverside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I came to Santa Maria to attend a wedding with my fiance and her father, the groom was the one who made the reservations and due to a cultural festival in the area all other hotels were booked so Motel 6 on Preisker lane was our only bet. After checking in we entered our room and immediately noticed it was a little run down. Two out of the three lamps in the room had bulbs that were broken, the sheets were from the 90's and there was a half inch gap between the door jam and the door (it is unnerving in the night when you look at it and see that much light coming through). Upon further inspection the carpet outside the bathroom was soaked from what I can only assume would be the toilet as the shower (which is small, small, small) was on the other side of the bathroom and was all dry.

The room had one queen size bed and a full size bed (advertised as two queen beds though), if I had to guess I would say they are about 15-20 years old and boy do they show it. Both of the beds had a huge dip in the middle with a pretty steep incline- in other words VERY noticeable and uncomfortable. I didn’t have back pain when I arrived but I could barely stand up straight after sleeping here.

We requested no service for our room- we were only there for two nights and it really wasn’t necessary. When we left for the wedding (around 1pm) the maid had already passed our room and was vacuuming the room next door. When we came back (around 4pm) our room had been serviced (against our request)- but the beds weren’t even made. Now- this is where our stay gets REALLY bad- my fiance and I had set aside $20 for a Subway dinner that night but the money was nowhere to be found! We tore apart the room and our car, emptied our pockets and everything but I know with 100% certainty that I left it on the night stand so I wouldn’t lose it (go figure). I called the Front Desk and asked to speak to a manager, one was not on duty but I was told that if I came by in the morning that I would be able to speak to the GM.

The next morning around 9am I went to the lobby to talk with the GM, at first he was polite but once I mentioned my problem his tone changed drastically. I informed him that I had no reason to lie and that my accusation was genuine, he decided to go and get the maid so he could ask her about the situation in front of me. From there on it basically turned into a he-said she-said debacle of unprofessional management- the maid denied- I insisted that I would have no reason to lie about this and that we had requested no service but were given service anyway. The manager was not even remotely understanding to my plight, I had to use money that was originally intended for gas to eat the night before so I was worried about even making it back home (about an 8 hour drive). The manager offered to call the police but I declined because $20 wouldn’t even count as petty theft and I could not prove the maid took it therefore it would be a waste of the police officer’s time. I told the manager this and attempted to request that I be reimbursed instead but he just kept insisting to call the authorities- a tactic I believe he exercises often to discourage those who cannot fully prove that they have been robbed (which I am sure happens often at this establishment). This is truly terrible, atrocious customer service and when added together with the abhorrible room conditions and beds I would have to say this is literally the worst hotel I have ever stayed at...and I am a understanding person, I do not like leaving reviews like this but I feel I owe it to other would-be guests/victims to keep them from falling into the same trap.

On our way out we did our cursory room search so as not to leave anything behind (like we would get it back anyways) and my fiance’s father removed the sheets to his bed looking for his wallet only to find a massive yellow stain (urine or God knows what) that covered the majority of the mattress and even spread to the side of the bed. I would have taken the sheets off of my bed as well but I decided I would rather not know what it looked like. This hotel has at least 120 rooms, if they sold each room at even 45 dollars a night that is still $5400 a night, more than enough money to buy some much needed mattresses. To make a very long story short- do not stay here, you will get robbed and treated like you do not matter.

Room Tip: Go anywhere but here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

This Location was next to my family. So we decided to stay there. But rooms were tiny and they smelled like feet. We changed Rooms the next day same result. Plus i guess the local kids rent out rooms and party all night long. skip this one next time!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

Driving my daughter to UCSB and we needed a quick cheap overnight. If you just want a cheap overnight this works. The room we had smelled musty and the beds were squishy but hey, you get what you pay for, right? Overall it seemed clean. A key learning and a bit of 'tripadvisor': apparently the new trend in low budget hotels is that they do not provide shampoo. Really?! Yes, we asked the front desk for some and the answer was NO. Wow. So advice for you is to Bring Your Own Shampoo! My suggestion to the hotel is to add shampoo to their vending machine. Anyway, we are well rested, less money out of our wallet and on our way to UCSB, even if our hair is a bit greasy. (-:

• Stayed September 2010

Been to Motel 6 Santa Maria? Share your experiences!