“Dirty, Run-down and Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
laguna niguel, ca
“Dirty, Run-down and Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I was taking a required class at the nearby college and needed a 1 night stay. Figured for the price it would suffice. Boy was I wrong. The hotel was just run-down and old. Check-in was nothing spectacular and the room smelled dingy and musty. The bathroom had broken tile grout and everything was just dirty and gross. I was worried whether my car would still be in the parking lot the next morning. If I ever pass through Santa Maria again I will gladly pay extra for a cleaner and safer hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room was dirty and dingy.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

Customer service left something to be desired on two issues:

1) When we had a problem with TV reception, they sent over someone right away. His repair didn't last, and we called the front desk again. They made us change rooms, and only as we shuttled all our bags to another room did the repairman tell us his original fix was temporary, as he was about to make the fix permanent.

2) A few days after getting home I noticed on my credit card an additional $3.00 charge. I called the hotel and found out the rental agreement includes a $1.50/day charge for use of the in-room safe -- which I never opened. I called them and they agreed to refund the $3.00. I wonder how much they make off this little $3.00 charge?

A very average hotel, the only plus being the heated pool and spa.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Hidden in-room safe charge.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

This well-maintained property has nicely landscaped grounds with the rooms arranged around the large pool and spa. You park at the rear or sides of the building and walk into the central common area to reach your room. Some rooms have balconies or patios. My room was large and spotlessly clean. There was a refrigerator, microwave, and safe. The front desk staff was prompt and polite. The lobby has an inviting fireplace and large-screen TV, and a continental breakfast. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. I really enjoyed my stay!

• Liked — landscaped grounds
  • Disliked — nothing negative
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lugano
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

I was at this hotel with a prepaid booking made on the web.

The room was dirty, with big stains on the carpet. The towels didn't smell of clean and so did the sheets on the bed.

They claim "free breakfast", just forget it, all they offer is just coffee and a muffin, better to go outside.

However, what really irritated me was the fact then a week later on my c. card statement I found a surcharge of $ 1.50. When I called the answer was: "this is a fee for each room, per night for the safe in the room". I travel a lot and never heard of this.

Obviously the point is not so much the $ 1.50, but the cheap way they have found to get some extra money (probably few thousand dollars at the end of the year).

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stockton, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Stayed there one night on family business. Paid $100, which seemed a lot to me, but there was supposedly wireless access. We couldn't get online though. Don't know if it was their fault or something to do with our computer. Motel complex looks looks like Travelodge took over a somewhat shabby business and converted it. Looks OK, but kind of funky. Room pluses were: TV had lots of channels and there was a microwave and fridge. The main problems were in the bathroom. I went to take a shower at 11:30 p.m. Guess I should have checked it when I got there because the shower simply did not work! The water dribbled out of the faucet. The faucet and the spigot were both loose and I was afraid that if I pulled them too hard, the whole thing would come out from the wall! I called the front desk (angry, I will admit.) They offered to send someone over but I declined since it was so late and my family members were already asleep. Then I noticed that the bathroom window would not lock! This is a ground floor room backed up to a parking lot/alley. I wedged it with a hanger and crossed my fingers. The next day upon check out, I asked for a break on the price because of the shower situation. The clerk essentially shrugged and said that a work order was put in to fix the shower. That really helped me--not! Basically it's a $60 motel charging $100. When I return, I will either pay more for a genuinely nice place or get a cheapo place for $60-70 and get what I pay for.

• Liked — proximity
  • Disliked — room: bathroom was unacceptable--shower did not work, window to alley did not lock
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CALIFORNIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

We were unclear whether to get a room at travelodge. Exterior was very nice and inviting, liked the waterfall. Staff was friendly. Was very suprised by the room, it was clean and spacious. Made cup of coffee and had glasses and mugs, nice touch ! Kids enjoyed the heated pool. Walked to nearby restaurant. Had lots of variety for breakfast, made fresh waffles. Well it was really worth the price and would definatly come back.

• Liked — room was spacious, bed were comfortable.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spokane wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

On my quest to save money on my last trip to California, I booked the Travel Lodge on Priceline for $72 a night. As I drove deeper into town, I remembered the line of hotels on the old Pacific Coast Highway from my childhood in the 60's. I didn't realize the Travel Lodge would be one of them. After my initial surprise, I was fairly impressed by the renovations. The place looked pretty good from the outside and the young lady at the front desk couldn't have been friendlier. The room was old, but large and clean. The old "make your own waffle" and cereal greeted me the next morning. Overall, not bad but definitely nothing to get excited about.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travelodge Santa Maria? Share your experiences!