“Slept like a baby...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
San Diego
“Slept like a baby...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

Really good experience. This hotel was surprisingly quiet, especially for being a two story walk-up. You normally hear people above you banging the doors, and clunking their luggage down the stairwell, but I heard nothing here, and slept really well.
Comfy beds and pillows. Very spacious bathroom with vanity. Big bath tub with extended curve and very large tiled ledge for towels, etc.
The rooms were a teeny bit dated, but the bathrooms looked all new. I definitely wouldn't call it the 70's. That's an exaggeration.
The room had the faintest smell of smoke, but nothing horrible.
The staff was very friendly, and they do have a giant cat sleeping on the front desk.
Breakfast looked pretty good, but crowded, although there was a great place for breakfast just next door that we opted to try.
Parking was easy. There is also a decent sized pool, and very large jacuzzi (20 people), although it wasn't steaming hot. Just warm. I would test it out before you committed to go down there (or turn the bubbles on for 20 minutes ahead of arrival). The pool area is not in the center of the complex, so the sound doesn't carry the way it would other places, and the guy at the front desk told me if you were quiet, it was ok to stay in there after hours. I thought that was nice.
Anyway...it's not luxurious, but if you have to stay in this area, it is nice, convenient, clean and over all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

The Best Western Big America in Santa Maria is a nice place to stay for the night, with good size rooms, full HBO, pool/hot tub, free wifi and an all inclusive breakfast.

The hotel is close to the main town and restaurants.

There is also a large shopping complex beside the hotel, boasting the usual stores.

Staff were friendly and the rooms were clean and that makes a nice place for me to stay for a night.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

We just returned from our stay at Best Western Big America. Santa Maria was the place for the convention and the suggested hotel listed was only Holiday Inn. By the time I got sync with this particular trip, it was passed the discounted booking period =( But I remembered someone said that Best Western was not too far from Holiday Inn. So that made me check Best Western and took their suggestion. (i did try Holiday Inn and get their current price but the only rooms left were smoking rooms and we were travelling with kids - not mine who had asthma and allergies, so I did not want to take the risk).

I booked online - Since we were travelling with kids - we thought it would be better if we got the "suites" (1 king-1Queen). I had the pics in their website helped us with our decision. I did the internet booking therefore, I could not make any cancellations, etc... But, as soon as I booked, I read the reviews and compared them with the pics of Holiday Inn and sort of regretted chosing the "internet- non-cancellation" option....Although, I had not mentioned a word, I was not keeping my hopes too high on this hotel.

Upon arrival which went fast and "smooth", we got the keys --- but as we checked the rooms given to us by frontdesk, I was really disappointed!!! They were too small, a "not too nice of a lay-out" suite. Having done some hotel layouts myself (architect by profession), I know for a fact that it seems like a doubleroom divided. It was like having a room (with a door) within a room. THe "inner" room was the queen, with a small round table, dresser with the tv and a closet and the outer was the "king" with a enterntainment and the small sink/ref. The toilet was smack round the corner.

Disappointed, we headed to the frontdesk, on our way I peeked into the other rooms nextdoor and - THERE WAS the room I saw online. Frontdesk was kind enough to show us the other room but did mentioned that it can only be available for us 2 out of the 3 nights we had. We would have to move out since this particular room was specifically requested, unless of course they cancelled. Frontdesk probably got annoyed at us, bec I was going back and forth checking both rooms and could not make up my mind.... We ended up taking their offer of 2 nights and moving on our last night. Of couse, we were hoping the other guest would cancel. I have to mention that there IS a difference in price$$$.

The "OTHER ROOM", known as the Executive Suite was indeed better for us - it had a large living room w/ a pullout "queen" sofa and a large king bed next door (no-division). The toilet was spacious with the toilet seperated... The layout was nicely done - open and roomy. THere were 2 tv's - the bedroom had the plasma, with a desk, dresser and mirror - a lot of room... THe living room, had the entertainment console, a round table and a lounge chair, together with the pullout sofa. THe small pantry was nicely tucked away. Also, conveninetly located, near the main entrance - reservation/dining and pool.

Since it summer and were blessed with wonderful weather during our stay, The kids wasted no time in checking out the outdoor pool and spa, while we worked out the "living" conditions in making the room work for us. (On our 3 day, I had the priviledge of joining the kids for a swim and they were right -- We had it all to ourselves and enjoyed over an hour of swimming and laying out at the sun. The pool was not that open for other guests to look out too, so it's location was nicely planned.

We had continental breakfast with our stay -- For both days we went earlier - we had a more relaxed time eating. Less crowded too. The choice were the usual variety of cereals, oatmeal, toast, bagels. they had 2 waffle makers. a choice of tea, coffee, juices - orange/
apple/cranberry and which I though was different (since I havent seen it offered on other chains) was they offered hardboiled eggs. Which our kids enjoyed!!! THe last day, I was able to catch breakfast just a little before breakfast ended and although staff was keeping up with what needed refill, dining was too crowded - too many people waiting for waffles, etc.. I took my breakfast "to-go".

Well --- we did have to move on our 3rd day --- but it also worked. It was only for 1 night and we made it work. I just didn't like NOT having the "airy-ness" and missed the condusiveness on being in 1 large open room seeing what the kids were upto,etc...Probably given a different circumstance, the 2nd suite would still be fine.

Overall - our stay at the BW was okay! Kids had FUN.... I believe that we had a better time than those who booked at Holiday Inn as I heard most of the people at the convention were there. Breakfast was crazy, pool was packed (at times you want to be on your own, not seeing other people in the same convention). Some people were noisy at the hallway, etc...Most we talked to hesitated to complain and not make a big fuzz about it.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others --- but I would definitely request the EXECUTIVE SUITE!!!

Reviews about the furniture and finishing - yes, they can go modern like other chains. Ohh, but one thing we would definitely remember abt our stay in Santa Maria is the "Cougar" of BW - they have this HUGE cat who we thought originally was a stuffed animal. So huge that it can pass for a cougar...It was quiet and was sleeping most of the time. Really didn't bother us but the kids can't stop talking out it...AND ONE MORE - Should mention, When in Santa Maria --- Check out the BBQ!!! We ate at Shaw's Restaurant for their Early Dinner BBQ Specials and tried the BBQ Corner at North Broadway. Should be a MUST to try some BBQ while in Santa Maria...THey are known for it and it is AWESOME...Made our trip COMPLETE!!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sacramento, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

Ok first of all, I am not going to slam this place or give it high praise...A Hyatt it is not. But, if you're in Santa Maria it is a decent place to stay and reasonable in comparison to other hotels/motels in the area. My first choice was the Holiday Inn up the street as I have stayed there previously and it is a nice property. On this trip the Holiday Inn had sold out of their larger suites and the available rooms would not meet our needs. (We were traveling with children). Upon driving into the Big America I noticed it was quite clean, no litter, plants and lanscaping were well kept. I walked in and was given a good rate on a 2 bedroom suite, well Big America's version anyway. Upon entering the room I was overcome from the smell of cleaners, perhaps the room had not been opened for a while. The room is made up of a room in the front with a queen bed, there is a very short hallway with an entry to a bathroom, and to the left is another room with a king bed. The room also had a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator with a wet bar style sink. The room was fairly clean, furnishings definitely need updating, bed was a tad hard for my tastes, and the comforter... well just ugly. I defnitely had my doubts. I had already paid so decided to stay. In hind sight it was good experience overall. I slept well, the complex was quiet, and the other people staying there made up for a good crowd of people. No derelicts, or party throwers, just everyday folks either traveling or there to visit the nearby wineries. The breakfast in the morning was good, the staff friendly and helpful. The only thing I don't quite get is the decor... Its like early American mets mid 80's modernist architecture. When in Santa Maria, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, thats if I can't get into the Holiday Inn first.

• Liked — Good price for room type in the are, clean, friendly staff
  • Disliked — small room, needs updating, hard mattress
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

If you are seeking a vacation destination, then you may be disappointed, but if you are looking for a reasonably priced, big, CLEAN room to spend the night, then this place is right on target! It seems that room rates are elevated all over coastal California as compared to other places I've traveled. I was able to get a rate of $90/night for a 1 night stay while traveling from Santa Ynez Valley to Paso Robles.
The front desk was prompt, had warm cookies, and recommended a pretty good steak restaurant (Shaw's). My room was #230 and it was the biggest room that I have ever seen at a best western. It had a king sized bed, pull out couch. Mini-bar w/ small sink, refrig and microwave. The bathroom was huge w/ good separation between a private toilet, makeup area w/ mirror, closet, shower/ tub and then a countertop-sink area w/ another mirror.
This is no luxury hotel, but its the nicest "overnight" motel that you will find between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles.

• Liked — Big Clean Room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I had to write a review to balance out some of the other more stellar reviews of this place. I normally stay in Hampton Inns and this motel (as was pointed out in a previous review, this is a motel not a hotel) was not as nice as your average Hampton. Nothing was terribly wrong with this property but it feels kind of dated and breakfast in the morning was just okay. Overall, I would probably stay here again in a pinch but not before looking for something else better.

• Stayed January 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yorkshire U. K.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Stayed here for 1 night on route from Frisco to LA. Check in was quick and we where offered free freshley baked cookies. The room was spotlessly clean and for some reason included a huge mirror on one of the walls.The bathroom was large and well equipped. The hotel was not in the best part of town but we always felt very safe. The free breakfast was brilliant with lots to choose from including fresh friut, yoghurt and make your own waffles
Overall a very good stay after a long days drive.

• Liked — comfort breakfast pool cookies
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Big America? Share your experiences!