“Great historic hotel with friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
CA
“Great historic hotel with friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful stay at the Santa Maria Inn. Our room was upgraded to a suite w/living area and two EXTREMELY comfortable king beds. The rooms are clean and crisp and the amenities are delightful. Everyone at the hotel is friendly and accommodating. The historic décor is beautiful. We would highly recommend staying at the Santa Maria Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and rose garden are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
HistoricManager, Manager at Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you so much for that wonderful review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a family reunion. It was full of ambiance. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. My kids had a great time. We went ghost hunting at night in the older part of the hotel. The breakfast buffet was also tasty and they serve Starbucks coffee....yay! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
HistoricManager, Manager at Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay when you were in town for a family reunion. Yes, having Starbucks is a HUGE plus that our guests really appreciate!
We look forward to seeing you again!
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I enjoyed my brief stay at the Santa Maria Inn. It's a great value. I stayed in the "traditional" (i.e. older) side of the hotel. The room was small, but they fit a tremendous amount of very nice, functional, furniture into the space. Honestly, the only complaint I would have about the room is the lack of soundproofing around the door (I could hear everything out in the hallway, and I could hear everything in the rooms I passed when I was walking down the hallway). However, the bed was so comfortable that I slept through all of the noise that may have been out there. And I couldn't hear a peep from the rooms next door to me.

The hotel layout is a little confusing, but the staff is happy to show you the way. There's a nice little restaurant and coffee bar onsite, as well as a variety of other shops. I also loved the amenities - the bath products provided were fantastic! I don't usually use hotel shampoos/lotions, but I absolutely loved the lotion provided by this hotel. I stayed over a Saturday night, and ended up with an entire Sunday paper at my door the next morning. Most hotels don't provided papers on the weekend, and I greatly appreciated the small touches like that.

Overall, this place isn't perfect, but it's a great historic hotel at a wonderful value!

Room Tip: Traditional rooms are in the historic part of the hotel, and are rather small and somewhat noisy due...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
What a wonderfully detailed review of your stay! Thank you so much for all the kind words! We agree, our beds are SO amazing! We get so many positive reviews about them, that we even started selling them! We also agree about the bathroom products, they are great!
We really appreciate you mentioning to us that the door could use better sound proofing, we will make sure to let our engineering department know of this.

We hope to see you in the next time you are in our area!
Whittier Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have been here many times. It is no frills and dependable. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We like to stay in the older part, close to the pool. The gardens are beautiful and well kept. It's a pleasure to enjoy the roses and other flowers while sitting at the pool. The downstairs wine bar is comfortable and has a good selection of local vintages. Another plus is that Shaw's Steakhouse is across the street. They have a great tri-tip and early bird specials.

Room Tip: We like the rooms in the older section near the pool and gardens
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay. We are so glad that you continuously enjoy yourselves! Reviews like yours are always our favorite to read, nothing makes us happier than hearing that our repeat guests always enjoy their time with us!
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I were very pleased with our stay at the Santa Maria Inn. We had one of the 2nd floor King Suites, and for the price, it was a great deal. When you come to this hotel, remember that is a historic building, so it is older. It is not like staying in a top of the line Marriott, but it is beautiful. It is not a cookie-cutter hotel, so if that is what you are looking for, you should go elsewhere, but if you enjoy older hotels that have been kept up, and are a very good value, then you should consider this one. The beds are very good, it is clean, and best of all, it has character. It's courtyard is beautiful. It has a nice gym, and nice pool.

Room Tip: We choose a corner king suite on the 2nd floor. If you ask for one of those, they come with a balco...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you SO much for that wonderful review! We appreciate all the positive things you had to say about your stay with us! You are correct, we definitely are not cookie cutter, we have almost 100 years of charm, nostalgia and more to offer!

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I was very pleased and satisfied with my recent stay at the Santa Maria inn. I chose it because of its proximity to my daughters home. Admittedly , I was also intrigued by its history and supposed hauntings. I elected to stay in the original building because, quite frankly, what's the point of staying in an historic hotel if you're not going to experience the original rooms? If you MUST have a bigger room, you should stay at a Hampton Inn. But I digress. I found my room (238), with a king bed, and balcony, to be very clean and comfortable and perfect for myself and my husband and obviously good enough for Clark Gable and Carol Lombard. The bed was comfy, the refrigerator was great to hold water, etc. I never used the coffee maker or microwave, but those were available to us as well. The large TV was fine as well. So, again I ask, why would anyone NOT stay in these rooms? The hotel does have a hauntingly feel to it, but other then my room lights shutting off by themselves, I didn't experience any ghosts. I might want to mention that the light switches are on motion detectors and will shut off automatically to preserve energy I'm assuming. Sorry to disappoint all you ghost hunters. There is a Starbucks available in the lobby which was perfect for any tea/coffee urges. The Wine Cellar is a great place for a drink as is the Taproom. I did partake in the breakfast buffett which I found very fresh and worth the price. I treated myself to dinner in the garden room one evening. A little pricey, but the food was very good. If I had any complaints at all it was the service in the Garden Restaurant. For the prices, I would expect better service. For example, upon greeting us our waiter asked if "we knew what we wanted" without ever asking if we wanted a drink or cocktail to start with. Once he got our drink order, it took forever to get them (and it wasn't at all crowded). Dessert came sans the coffee/tea we ordered. Waiter came with our check (after we already finished dessert) and we had to remind him we still wanted our tea/coffee. For a place this pricey, how about investing in some experienced wait staff. One more thing regarding past reviews saying the neighborhood is not great. This is the Carriage district which is a desirable area of Santa Maria. I walked to and from my daughters hOme during day and night and NEVER felt uneasy. Also across the street is the Pantry, a great family style restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you so much for the very detailed review of your most recent stay. We appreciate all the kind words you had to say about your room and experiences. We are sorry to hear that your service in our Garden Room was not up to par. We take all feedback, both positive and negative very seriously and will make sure to address all your very valid points in our next meeting.
We also agree that this is a nice, safe neighborhood and appreciate you stating this as well.
Lanaken, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We spent just one night. The hotel is dated, the room wasn't that clean, the bathroom was very basic. We didn't had breakfast, just a coffee at a counter in the hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at Santa Maria Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Very happy that you liked our staff.

Been to Santa Maria Inn? Share your experiences!