“Very very nice hotel!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Santa Maria Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 South Broadway, Santa Maria, CA 93454   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Santa Maria
Antony, France
“Very very nice hotel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

We only spent one night in this hotel but if we had time we would stay more time!

It is beautiful, rooms are airy and clean, staff is very nice and restaurant is excellent. No more thing to tell about it except that some movie stars stayed in this hotel.

• Liked — Hotel by itself (style)!!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

335 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
North Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

I was heading down to Orange County from Sonoma County and wanted to stop in-between. It was getting late in the day and the only place that looked decent was the S.M.Inn. I called from my cell phone to make a reservation and was told there was a room for the discounted rate of $170, therefore, a AAA rate wasn't available. This was more than I wanted to pay, but I didn't want to continue my drive so I parked and went in. I was (NOT) greeted by the young female employees, as they were busy drinking coffee and chit-chatting with each other while a few of us waited in line.
My room was in the newer section and was quite large with a sitting area and sofa. What I found odd was that there was no table in the sitting area, no desk or table to put stuff on, and no counter on either side of the TV armoire. There was just a small table against a wall filled with hotel information and parafernalia on it, and an end table next to the bed. Gosh I didn't want this review to drag on, but....
There was a refrigerator and coffee maker in the room, and I wanted to go down and get a little milk for my morning coffee. I walked downstairs and tried to find someone to help me and asked the restaurant hostess for the milk. She went to get me the milk and was gone for a while. She finally returned with a small glass of milk and charged me $3 for it. Really, for some milk for my coffee. Oh well.
Next, I ordered room service for dinner. It arrived surprisingly quickly. The food was mediocre, and also wasn't as described on the menu. Whatever, I just wanted to get to bed so that I could get the heck out of there and on my way.
Two more odd things....1. the toilet tissue roller was at a very awkward distance from the commode. About three feet to the left and back. 2. I had to iron something the next morning. The iron was tethered to the end of the board by a curly cord and also the regular electrical cord. It was difficult to iron at the pointed end as the iron did not reach the other end and kept pulling back. It actually fell on the floor once when it pulled back.
Maybe the ghosts were just having fun with me.

• Liked — The garden was attractive
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Somerset, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

After reading some of the reviews I was a bit worried - but needn't have been. We had a wonderful stay at this accommodation. Booked a romance package which included kingsize suite with a panoramic view, chocolates and a bottle of champagne, which went down very nicely! The price also included free buffet breakfast. The hotel also offers free internet access, although you do have to queue up for this, and free parking - a rareity in CA! My only slight criticism would be I was woken up early with the sun streaming through the window as the drapes did not fully close and all the local restaurants close by 9pm. Overall an great stay and would thoroughly recommend anyone to book this package.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
coldairguy@hotmail.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

Stayed overnight for business. Has a great bar from the 20's, good place to watch sports and socialize. Stayed in the older wing, room 133. No hauntings to report.
As you walk through the halls, rooms that have had high profile guests have engraved plaques on the door stating who they were.
Overall cool place to stay.

Stayed August 2007
san fernando Valley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

The Young Desk clerk upon arrival was not friendly or welcoming. She refused to give the Auto Club Discount that Hotels .com said I would get & should ask for upon arrival. Got a bad vibe after 2 hours of traveling to get there.

The key card was difficult to open door with to get into room. There was excellent handicap parking with ez access to our room. The room was very nice and comfortable with a beautiful view of the pool and gardens..The beds were comfortable enough to get a good nights rest however the TV should have a mute button that automatically creates close caption so one guest can sleep while another can still watch TV and not disturb the sleeping person.

The coffee machine and hairdryer worked great. The Lighting in bathrooms were too dim to put on make up. I Called for extra blankets and towels and they were brought up in an acceptable timeframe. Room service breakfast was excellent Saturday AM -We left to go to our reunion at 11 am and returned at 2 PM and room was not made up yet. I had to call to have the room made up.
The weather was perfect and the pool area was very attractive with comfortable lounge chairs and beautiful surroundings. The pool water was perfect temp. and whirlpool was relaxing.My mother made an appointment for a massage and the masseuse (MARY) gave her the BEST massage she ever had and she has had many.(ask for Mary) Very highly recommended! .The 24 hr.gym workout room was adequate for the hotel,also has a shower and steam room.
Dinner in the hotel dining room was very nice but a bit pricy. After dinner we sat in the lobby and people watch- that was fun and very comfortable as the lobby is cozy and very inviting.
Sunday 9 am called for same continental breakfast and they said it was too late and that was disappointing. Checkout was EZ. All in all, our stay at the Santa Maria inn was a good experience, I would come back to this Hotel again. The hotel staff needs to be a bit friendlier and accommodating to weary travelers.

Stayed July 2007
El Monte, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

This was my first visit to Santa Maria and we got to stay at the Santa Maria Inn. The atmosphere was great. They had a lot of extras for us to enjoy. They had a self-guided wine tour in which we could go explore the wineries in the area. The food in the restaurant was also excellent! We had a great visit!

Stayed May 2007
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

Excellent hotel in a charming city. The staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were exceptionally clean, beds smelled fresh and were comfortable. A great getaway place for a romantic weekend with many quality restaurants nearby. My wife and I were there for our anniversary and we had lovely time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience a high quality hotel. I have stayed at four star hotels in the past, believe me the hotel will feel like a four star quality, although they do not have meal service at all hours. I believe that the Michael Jackson crowd of lawyers and media stayed at the Santa Maria Inn during the trial. You could stay in a regular three or four star hotel and not have the same fun of staying in rooms were Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe stayed. Movie Stars came to Santa Maria for their trysts from L.A., many of the hotel rooms have the name of the movie star who stayed there.

• Liked — the cleanliness of the rooms, the feel of class, much like a Vancouver, Can. four star hotel
  • Disliked — not much, it was overall a good experience
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Santa Maria Inn? Share your experiences!