“This is the definition of "seedy motel".” 2 of 5 stars

You added Holiday Motel to your Saves list
Holiday Motel
605 S Broadway, Santa Maria, CA 93458   |
Ranked #15 of 19 hotels in Santa Maria
“This is the definition of "seedy motel".”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

First room we checked in had no soap and dirty towels on the floor. Filthy heating vents. Rooms are tiny and cramped. When we complained it wasn't cleaned and they moved us, the second room had holes above the heater, a broken drawer, electrical outlets with wires hanging out and duct tape on the doorknob. Really? Bikes line the outside of the doors and shady characters are prevalent at night time. Came for work it was not a stay by choice. Would not pick on my own choosing.

• Stayed October 2013

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

It certainly is economical. Perhaps the savings comes from not providing the little things. There is no closet, nor is there anywhere to hang anything, no rod, no hooks, not even a chair for the kneehole desk on which to drape a shirt (and I do not count door knobs as a legitimate alternative). There was no light or lamp between the beds. No reading there at night - or being able to navigate in a darkened room. If you want light, you have to get up to turn on the overhead with the switch by the door. The door itself had no strike plate for the knob latch which undermines confidence that the lock will be secure against even the slightest effort. The walls and ceiling (stayed on the first floor) are thin and transmit sounds very well: steps and creaking from the guests above, water running through pipes of all neighboring rooms, conversations in adjoining rooms and the guy with the diesel pickup that sounded like a bulldozer who liked to fire up his ride every morning at 6 am (not the hotel's fault). The rooms do have, to their credit, a working refrigerator and microwave. To be fair, I did not see, or experience, bedbugs as a number of other reviewers mentioned. But, I did come equipped with a spray bottle and rubbing alcohol and used it on the sheets (the Internet recommendation for combating the pests). There was a 4-inch tear in the bed's covering quilt. The shower worked adequately and there was sufficient hot water. There were faint cigarette burn marks on the tub. I do not believe either the tub or sink had a way to stopper them, but I did not need to test this. The door to the shower had large areas of paint missing. There was an ice machine, but it was a vending machine and each bucket of ice cost a Quarter. That was a first. Never had to use the 50s-style wall heater, for which I'm glad - it looked a little worse for wear. When we had a problem with the switch for the light over the sink, the manager, Raj, (just over here from India for one year) responded promptly, called his maintenance person, and the problem was fixed within a couple of hours. But it was not detected, and should have been, by the cleaning crew. No in-room coffee maker (dreaming), but there was a coffee pot in the manager's office with free coffee offered between 8 and 10 am. Tried it the first day, and survived, though the pot looked a little skeevy. Took off Sunday at 8:30 am and the manager's unit was shut tight, so no joe. Spent three nights here during a disc golf tournament. It was adequate, and economical.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

This place is soooo noisy!!! All kinds of shady characters playing loud music, hanging around the parking lot with whom the manager was very friendly with. Once we got in our room, we got to hear all the construction going on, AT 7:00 pm. We came to rest. Then at 2:00 am we heard all kinds of noise coming from outside our room, heard someone take off with screeching tires. Woke up to somebodys car windows all smashed out. Manager could care less as long as he gets his money. Horrible maid, rooms filthy!!! Don't stay here if you want any rest

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am not a hotel/motel snob by any means. I see them as simply a place to sleep at night so you can carry on with the fun during the day. My husband and I stayed here because we wanted to take a last minute road trip up the coast for Valentine's day weekend. This was the ONLY motel with vacancies so we figured we would just go for it. Clean and Safe are NOT words I would use to describe this place. We got there late at night and checked into our room. We were a little alarmed to see a man across the motel entering a room through the window!! at MIDNIGHT! There were a lot of super shady people hanging out in the parking lot and smoking outside of their rooms. Once we finally got into our room, we were very disappointed even though we were not expecting much. The guy at the front desk has to light our heater with the same lighter he lit his cigarette with. I thought for sure there was going to be a gas leak and he was going to blow the place up with one flick of that lighter. Once he got it to stay lit, we were so freaked out by the place we considered leaving and just sleeping in our car. We decided to stay but slept with our jeans on and our hoods over our heads. We didn't even shower the next morning. We couldn't get out of that room fast enough. You really are better off sleeping in your car than staying here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Maria, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Driving all day and almost out of funds, thank you for a clean, safe and affordable place to get some shut eye. Front desk guy you were awesome!...sorry, just noticed I needed a few more words. Had been driving from Northern Ca. Didn't even have a reservation, just walked in and said I saw your standard rooms were available for just $40.00. My friend and I were happy to find out your also just a couple of blocks from Starbucks. With the money we saved on the room Starbucks was like frosting on the cake. We'll be back when we head back to Alaska. Thanks again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

oh the manager were very co-operative at midnight 3am . the rooms and the surrounding was very peaceful at a very resonable price. you can just book them online or just call them and do the reservation and give your time of arrival so that they are aware you are coming.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Valencia, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Horrible experience with the owner of this property. Booked this hotel through Expedia.com (never again). After I booked room with Expedia I called the hotel to confirm the reservation with the owner by the way and it was also secured with a credit card. Arrived at midnight to check in and rang the bell only to be ignored. If you plan on staying here you better make sure it's on the owners time schedule and not yours. The next morning I called Expedia and told them about the horrible service and they called the hotel to confirm the story and the owner lied and told Expedia he stayed up until 2am waiting for the customer. What can I say sounds like a wonderful place to stay if you don't want a room. After reading the other reviews regarding bedbugs I guess I should count my blessing that the owner ignored the bell.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Motel? Share your experiences!