“Almost Great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
Long Beach, California
“Almost Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel excels in many areas--new, modern, clean. It has a great kitchenette for everything a business trip needs. Free dvd rentals, food store downstairs. Fitness center is good. Front desk staff is friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the one area this hotel fails in is the most important--bed comfort! The hotel does not offer a king size bed! I'm a tall guy, and when my wife is with me, we need a king size bed. None exist in this hotel. The queen size bed offered is more like a midget queen. That is the smallest queen size bed I've ever been in. The bed was too small for me, and my wife complained I kept waking her up with all my tossing and turning. Quiet level was great, but then I requested a room facing the parking lot--I've learned that from past hotel experience. The other downer about this hotel--no housekeeping service. If you want clean towels, you have go downstairs and get them yourself. Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

This hotel excels in all areas, except for the most important--bed comfort. If they started offering king beds, I would give this hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Pam L, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, CA.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Merced
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here last year and this year. It is quiet, clean and comfortable. It doesn't have housekeeping everyday, but you can get extra towels at the desk if you wish. They have free coffee all day. They have a bbq area that you can have access to anytime. They also have dvd's that you can watch in your room for free. Just ask to see the list of movies. There are kids' movies which makes it nice if you want to have them calm down after a long travel day. Candlewood Suites is on Broadway in town and is close to shopping, restaurants, and just about anything you need or want.
It's close to the freeway for easy on and off access.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front of the building away from the street if you are a light sleeper. It is right...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fairfield Inn S, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for selecting Candlewood Suites Santa Maria CA during your visit to California’s Central Coast region. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and look forward to an opportunity to serve you again when visiting our area.

Best regards,

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights at the Candlewood Suites this last weekend. We were visiting the Santa Ynez Valley on a wine tasting trip with another couple. My husband and I have made several trips to this region, as we love the central coast and all the the valley has to offer. We booked our reservation via Orbitz.com and were pleased with the rate for a 1 Queen bed suite. When we arrived, my husband went in to check in, while myself and our friends unloaded the car. My husband was almost finished with the check-in process , when I came in, with our friends following behind shortly thereafter. Our friends checked in after us, and told the employee that we were all together and would like to have rooms close by, if possible. She obliged, but seemed flustered. At the time I thought nothing of it, until we got to our room and started to unpack. We were given a handicapped room???? Now, neither my husband nor myself are handicapped in any way. We are both 30yrs old, in pretty good shape, and not in need of any kind of assistance. I would assume that a hotel should reserve these rooms for persons with disabilities, correct? I figured maybe it was just a mistake, but not that big of a deal. Then we went next door, before going to dinner, to hang out in our friends' room for a bit, and I was quite surprised! They're room was not a handicapped room, and was much nicer than ours! They had a leather recliner, a granite vanity in the bathroom, and a non-handicapped tub/shower. Ok, fine, I said, I'll just let it go. We returned from dinner, and my husband I then both learned that our shower was awful! Very little water pressure from the shower head and warm water, not hot. I never want to be the person to complain or switch rooms. If we had been staying for longer than 2 nights, I would have demanded a new room, but we sucked it up and dealt with what we were given. I truly believe that we were given this room as a result of receiving a discounted rate via Orbiz, and that the only reason our friends did not receive the same, was due to the fact that our room was assigned to us before the front desk employee realized there were 2 couples traveling together, and she was stuck giving our friends a room close to us.

I don't believe we will be staying at the Candlewood Suites the next time we visit the Santa Ynez Valley.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam L, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations. We value your business, and would like to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

I understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you. Please know that our General Manager will personally be handling your case, and will be in contact with you until this issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

It is our goal to restore your confidence in our hotel by solving this problem and preventing it from happening again.

Thank you again, for your honest feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We are here to visit family that lives about 5 miles up the road and this hotel has exceeded all our expectations. The room is very spacious, and the free laundry facilities is a major plus to wash clothes after a three week trip. The staff at the front desk has been very friendly and helpful and the cupboard store that is open 24 hours a day is a wonderful idea.
We have a full sized refrigerator, small appliances, dishes and storage containers, pots and pans, a comfortable bed and comfortable chairs. Just like home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam L, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites for your recent stay in Santa Maria, CA. We have read your comments about our hotel and we greatly appreciate that you took the time to write them, as our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority.

We understand that you have many options in the marketplace, and are pleased that you have made Candlewood Suites your premier choice for lodging accommodations.

Best regards,

Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I never do a review or take the time to care BUT this hotel was Awsome....... So clean and so quiet. It is like a little house its has everything. Only thing I wish they had was more two bedrooms.... Other than that I would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2013
Pam L, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 16, 2013

Candlewood Suites Santa Maria CA
Harrisonburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my favorite hotel stay of my three week business trip to California. Great extras, small food shop, exercise room, free laundry, all what you would typically expect from a business suite stay. The part that made my time there special was the staff. Friendly, knowledgeable about the area and they had the best suggestion for places to eat and things to do. They even gave me the low down on the best prices for gas!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Pam L, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We appreciate your comments and are excited to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Candlewood Suites Santa Maria. We will look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to the Central Coast.

Janesville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed for three nights while visiting family. One issue was that the icemaker in the fridge didn't work and leaked on the floor; however, it was fixed promptly. But then how many hotels offer an icemaker IN YOUR ROOM? The internet tended to be slow at night as well. I loved having FREE laundry and the little store in the lobby, as well as a kitchen. With no housekeeping, we were allowed to be messy without having to lock up our electronics and pick up everything every morning as well. I might also add that the staff treated you as family. Very very homey!!!

Room Tip: No restaurant and no kids activities in the hotel but lots in the area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Pam L, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 7, 2013

Candlewood Suites
Days Inn Santa Maria
#8 of 20 in Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 stars 136 reviews
Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Maria

Been to Candlewood Suites Santa Maria? Share your experiences!