“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This was a very nice hotel that was nicely decorated. The rooms had plenty of room and were very comfortable. The best part of this stay was the helpful suggestions from the staff. They were very informative and quick to offer some wonderful suggestions. The pool and hot tub were very nice. The gym was a good size with plenty of equipment.

Location

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Oakland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

While my granddaughter and I truly enjoyed the beach and the excitement of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, at the end of the day, I was soooooo relieved to leave it behind and head to the wooded retreat of the Hilton in Scott's Valley. Our room was clean and quiet, the pool and hot tub were very enjoyable, and we had a great time just relaxing and reading on the mezzanine level. I look forward to another opportunity to stay here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Location

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

When we first arrived we were thoroughly impressed with the nice view and scenery all around. Our room was on the 4th floor and we had a good view of the adjacent parking lot from our balcony.

The first impression of the room was okay. The furniture and inventory were state of the art with a decent TV, tiny fridge and a microwave. Our room had a sink in the room in addition to the one in the bathroom. Upon arrival the sink was blocked and therefore unusable. The hotel has taken care of it on the next day with the result of a remaining sewage odour hanging over our room. This had fortunately passed the day after.

What had also passed the day after was our ownership of a pair of sunglasses and a couple of pieces of fruit that we had purchased on the day we arrived. It is fairly obvious that these items had been removed by housekeeping, since no one but ourselves and hotel personnel have had access to our room. If you look at other reviews here you will find that it is not an isolated case where food left in the room has gone missing. After talking to the person on the front desk I was informed that housekeeping sometimes mistakenly assumes people had checked out and they then collect the remaining items to lost and found. While I think that bags and clothes being left behind are a decisive indicator for people not having left I gave the benefit of the doubt. On the next day I returned to the front desk to ask for my sunglasses and all I got in return was "I am sorry". This is an unacceptable way to treat your guests. Especially at north of $220 per night. If allegations like this arise I do not understand why the guest is the one being held in doubt. I understand that hotels need to protect their employees but they have some kind of responsibility towards guaranteeing the safety of their guests and their belongings. It cannot be that mistakenly leaving something on the night table ultimately leads to the loss of said item.

The pool area is fairly small for a hotel in California and therefore very busy at most times. It offers complimentary towels and a very nice hot tub though.

There is ample parking space available.

1 Thank bmikev10
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

What a nice hotel! After staying at six different hotels this summer, all Hilton brand, this was my favorite. The location is nice. About a five to ten minute drive to shopping plazas, close to Felton, near Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park, and even not too far away from Big Basin Redwoods State Park. We were able to get to our room promptly after a quick check-in. The room was clean, with a pretty classic design. What makes this place a five star stay was the outdoor pool overlooking the forest, the balcony, the restaurant, the nice fish tank while waiting for the elevator at the lobby, and the overall design of the hotel. For the one night we stayed here, I decided to spend it relaxing at the pool at night. It was surprisingly crowded with kids. It wasn't too annoying being with them but it probably would have been a little nicer without them there. Anyway, the pool overall is nice plus there's a Jacuzzi. I must say though living by the Gulf of Mexico in Florida made the pool a little uncomfortable considering I was in the pool at night in about 60 degree weather. But I must say that the pool was at least somewhat heated. My only negatives here was the slow Wi-Fi (not specifically this Hilton but all Hiltons have slow Wi-Fi), even though we're Hilton Honors Gold Members we only got two free continental breakfast vouchers even though there were three of us, and the pool did not have shower to wash the choline off (is that only a Florida thing?). The hotel also has the best and largest selection of TV channels I have ever seen in a hotel. They have DirecTV with an actual guide and tons of HD channels. Overall, I had a great stay and would love to return!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
sedona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

There is so much lacking at this hotel in comparison to what you would normally find at a Hilton Property, I am actually taken aback.

First, this is my second stay. Housekeeping on both occassions threw away baggies that I use for both my jewelery and toilet articles for packing. I'm a business traveler and this has only happened in all my years of travel at this hotel. The front desk did have a someone bring me up 10-15 baggies tonight, but that this happened is absurd. The Housekeeping staff definitely needs to be trained better.

This is a no smoking property EXCEPT for an ashtray placed outside a door leading into the 4th Floor rooms and just outside the pool. REALLY? How disgusting to have people smoking outside the pool. And the cigarette smoke (during my last stay) actually came into my room on the 4th floor as the ashtray is just outside a well trafficked door.

I was given the wrong room number when I first checked into my room. I was on 5th floor, and actually had a cart I was pushing along the maze of hallways in order to get to the 5th floor rooms. There is only one elevator so by the time I got to my room, I was very frustrated when I found the keys did not work. When the bellman brought me replacement keys I learned I was at the wrong room. I was compensated with a $20 credit at the restaurant.

Ah, but the restaurant. I ordered vegetables without butter as I cannot eat butter; it makes me physically sick. When my order arrived, my vegetables were cooked with butter. And the salmon portion was abysmal.

There is no maintenance staff at the hotel after 6pm. This is a large property; if something goes wrong, there is no-one here to help. This is unprecedented.

The clock in my room was 45 minutes off. Hilton Hotels require a special screw driver for resetting the time so I had to call to have a bellman come up and do this for me. This is something that should be on a check list for every guest change over.

I had purchased 3 apples; I only have 2 left in my fridge. I'm willing to place bets: Someone from Housekeeping took it.

Scotts Valley has very little healthy food restaurants to choose from. I ended up driving to New Leaf Market and getting some great food to go (closer to River Street). Next time I come into town I will be staying in that area.

If you are traveling on business, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. There are families with screaming children (running down halls, pushing all the elevator buttons so that when the elevator does finally arrive you now have to stop at every floor) Why parents allow this type of behaviour is beyond me.

I'm usually not this disdainful about a familes with children. I'm truly not. I'm just weary after a really frustrating stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank LoisSedona
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

For all the hype about this place, our two day visit turned out to be a let down. The exterior is great, looks like a castle. But that hides a run-of-the-mill hotel. There is absolutely nothing special or extraordinary about this place. The rooms are pedestrian, bland, and give no sense of luxury. The restaurant has a minimalist menu with rather small portions for the price. The staff (desk and restaurant) are not particularly welcoming and do nothing to make one feel "special." In fact, when I asked what "perks" I would get as a "Hilton Honors" member, I was handed two small bottles of water. That was it. By-the-way, no one tells you that if you book through any method other than directly with hotel or with Hilton, you don't get Hilton Honors credit. Bah Humbug. A cut above Motel 6 but not much of a cut.

Room Tip: Do not book through a third party vendor. The best rooms go to those who book directly. And you do n...
Simi Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Upon our arrival, the staff (Joe) was very nice and checked us in a little early. The room itself was a different story. When we entered the bathroom, we noticed that the maids had left the soap in the shower, covered with hair, from the previous guests. We called the front desk, and they immediately sent someone up to clean the tub and shower. The next day when we returned from our day out, the bed had been made, but that was about all. They maids left empty shampoo bottles in the shower, did not empty the trash, didn't vacuum the room or wipe down the furniture, didn't restock cups that we had used, and didn't put a new liner in the ice bucket. I'm a Hilton Honors member, and expect more from Hilton. On the plus side, the staff (Joe again, in particular) responded as well as one could expect. He comped us a couple of desserts to help make up for our dissatisfaction. Unfortunately, room service took three tries to get our order correct. The beds were less than comfy, as it was the first time I have ever woken up in the middle of the night with my hip sore from sleeping on my side.