“Grand Hotel in the California Redwoods” 4 of 5 stars

AAA Family Fun Package
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Anderson, California
“Grand Hotel in the California Redwoods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel is very beautiful. We were there on a business trip and arrived at 1:00 am. They helped us immediately and we were in our nice room within a few minutes. Even though our particular room was on the bottom floor with a view of the parking lot, it was very spotless and quiet. The complimentary wifi and Direct TV was a plus. We stayed two nights, a Thurs. and Fri., and truly have never had such a noiseless stay anywhere else. The mattress was a little problematic. We had a king and whenever my husband shifted in the night, it woke me up. (kind of like being catapulted on a trampoline). My biggest problem was my breakfast on Fri. morning. Only one other person was in the cafe, but I stood forever waiting for someone to finally seat me-then another lifetime to get coffee. Opted for the continental breakfast, which was really nice. There were several danishes and croissants, bagels, and slices of various bread to toast. Yogurt, fresh berries, melon, granola and hand squeezed orange juice rounded out the offerings. The server kept checking on the one gentleman sitting at his table and totally ignored me the whole time. I kept trying to get her attention so I could have more coffee, but she refused to even look in my direction. Finally, I got up to leave and had to chase a server to the service area just to pay my ticket. The next day for breakfast, I was with my husband and another couple, and the service was wonderful. Because of the desk staff and second day server I'd have to say that overall it was a great experience.

Room Tip: I heard that the suites are magnificent, with fireplaces and separate shower and tubs. Try the mattr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at this Hilton when visiting Santa Cruz in September 2012 and decided on this location as it was close to Santa Cruz but not right downtown which is our usual strategy. Scotts Valley is a nice mountain like area which is about 15 minutes away from downtown Santa Cruz. The Hilton has a nice workout room, pool, and restaurant onsite. We ate at the restaurant for convenience before going out and it was a good choice. I'm sure there may have been better choices if we were foodies, but this was good for a quick bite without having to search. The room was very spacious and clean and I would stay at this hotel again. Only downside was that the continental breakfast was not included in our room because we booked through travelocity. Nice place. -

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a nice hotel in a very pretty, wooded setting. Parking appears sparse at first, but there is more parking up the hill behind the hotel. When I arrived around 7:00 on a Friday evening, it was very difficult to find a spot within walking distance of the lobby, however, there is complimentary valet parking. Free Wi-Fi is also offered & greatly appreciated. The restaurant/bar is not huge but the food is good. Room service is very quick & again, good food. Front desk staff was very pleasant upon check-in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Only place I stay in Santa Cruz. Great rooms, great service. Great happy hour, try the appetizers all good. Close to everything. Staff in the bar and at the front desk bend over backwards to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed September 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this facility for a work conference. I had a room on the first floor. Rooms were clean enough, though the hotel should probably invest in some Febreze. Parking was easy. The location was just off the highway, making it easy to travel to San Francisco, Pacific Coast Highway and Monterrey. Food was pretty standard, a bit expensive. I would stay here again if I needed a place to sleep and shower. I would not pay more than $250 for this room. Wifi reception was terrible on the first floor.

Room Tip: My first floor room had spotty wifi reception.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days this summer. Wanted to stay in or near Santa Cruz and there did not appear to be many quality options. So stayed here, knowing it was a little way out of town. The hotel is surrounded by trees, and not far from some stunning Californian coastline.

At check in, was offered a room on the 4th or 6th floor (there are 6 floors). What I was not told was the 6th floor room was in a distant part of the hotel so involved taking 2 elevators and a fair walk – not great if just as you were leaving for the day you realised you left something in the room!

Staff were helpful, with one exception. I had left the breakfast vouchers I had as part of my rate inn the room, and the lady at the front desk didn't bother to confirm what rate I was on so just handed me the standard voucher (for a Continental buffet) rather than the full breakfast. This in spite of my explaining we had the breakfast rate.

The room was comfortable enough and quiet, as I had requested. Bathroom on the small side.
The hotel is a fair way out of Santa Cruz and taxis were not that easy to find in Santa Cruz – despite being told it would be 10-15 minutes we generally waited 45-75 minutes. This for a journey of 10-15 minutes!

There is a restaurant on site with standard buffet at breakfast.

Did not think the hotel was particularly good value, but that reflects the lack of quality alternatives in the area. If I were to return I would probably stay further away and get something nicer for the same price.

Room Tip: only take a 6th floor room if you are prepared for a long walk to your room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My daughter and I came to Scotts Valley because she had a job interview in Santa Cruz. The day of the interview we discovered that we had left the lights on in our rental car. At that point my daughter only had 30 minutes to make it to the job interview. We went to the front desk clerk who immediately contacted their facility person who came with jumper cables to help us start the car. Unfortunately the cables were too short to reach the car's battery. The facility person then found a landscaper on the property who had a longer set of jumper cables. Long story short, they put the two sets of cables together and started the car battery for us. Thanks to the staff my daughter made it to her job interview on time and we avoided the charges for a cab which might not have been able to get her to the job interview on time

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley? Share your experiences!