“THEY HAVE BED BUGS AND WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE & ITS DIRTY THERE AND SMELLS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   619 Riverside Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Formerly Travelodge Santa Cruz Riviera)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #48 of 51 hotels in Santa Cruz
GreenLeadersSilver level
Modesto, California
“THEY HAVE BED BUGS AND WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE & ITS DIRTY THERE AND SMELLS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

THIS IS THE WORST MOTEL EVER!!! I HAVE BED BUG BITES ALL OVER MY BODY!!! It is disgusting there. I went to celebrate with my mother in Santa Cruz for me starting my master degree. We stayed at this motel. It was cheap and thought it was a good idea, I was so wrong. They were rude from the start and the own hung up on me when I was just simply trying to ask for the password for Wi-Fi. There website said 24 hour front office desk service. Morning came and breakfast wasn't served even at 8AM. Plus, the people next to us in the room were drunk and fought all night. I had to call the police twice on them. And I woke up with bed bug bites all over. I noticed them on my pillow. I also noticed a blood stain, it is gross. Also, the room had a funny smell. The bed was in an awkward position where I couldn't watch TV comfortably and my mother felt the same way. I guess you get what you pay for; sometimes paying less is not always the best option. When I called and complained the owner had the nerve to tell me he will give me a 20% discount when I next come back. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I have never been so traumatized by a motel until this one. PLEASE DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He and his wife are both retarded and blind to the fact that they are losing customers

Room Tip: No rooms from this motel are good, please go else where.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
South Lake Tahoe, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and I have stayed here 2 years in a row, The staff is always very friendly and the rooms are clean. They have an awesome indoor pool and Hot tub that the whole family can enjoy. The rates are reasonable and its not too far from the Boardwalk!

Room Tip: If your going to be there a few days and have a group, I would stay in the 2 bedroom apt. It has a f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Well im not suprised this hotel is rated as one of the worse in Santa Cruz.We stayed here for one night while travelling in California and of the six hotels we have stayed in so far this is the worse by a long way. The rooms are dirty and need updating, the breakfast was rubbish and we had to take it back to our room to eat as there is no dining area. We paid $90 dollars to stay here, that now seems a rip off! We were just glad to get out of there after only one night, there are plenty of other hotels in santa cruz so try one of them!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is relatively close to the beach and main attractions not really walking distance, this was a last resort for us a family, it's a dingy hotel, stayed here during the summer weekend of 2012 the hotel gets really busy lots of people, loud and a somewhat ghettto, booked thru priceline( $117) the hotel fee was small bout 2 bucks for a night and just glad we had a place to sleep and glad to be outta there the next day.
Check in was fast and easy, service was prompt and efficient not too interactive but good, wi-fi was a plus, free parking but gets busy, didn't try the pool seemed too cramped up, did like that at night the whole place is very brightly lit! I gave it an "average" for the type and price/season if it's not a heavy busy season I would not have paid that for this hotel. expect towels, and if your like me remove the top blanket it just gives me the hivie-givvies! thankfully we had out on blankets! oh and don't let the "breakfast" influence your booking it's nasty bread, fake oj, and cheap tasting oatmeal!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Riverbank, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

some people want a 5 star hotel but only will pay for a 1 to 2 star rate. our room was clean and very comfortable, the spa is big as is the pool. it is close to the boardwalk and warf. people that complain about when the trash is picked up by the city grow up do you tell your city when to pick yours up? granted the breakfast could be better but i will stay there again. the management that i talked to was very kind and respectfull to us unlike some for the people who write some to these reviews.

darrell costa

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

Crackheads asking for tin foil. Bums asking for cigarettes and money. Punks having band practice from 8pm till 3am Monday through Sunday. Bed bugs. Rude lady at the front desk. Save your money and stay in your car. I'm here for work and will never stay in this hell hole again.

• Stayed February 2012
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I went to Santa Cruz for a concert and was looking for a decent place to crash, watch a movie, shower, have breakfast, and be on my way. I was looking for a bargain hotel, but this isn't a bargain, its a dumpster.

I stayed here somewhat on a whim. I work in the hotel industry and know how what I need in a hotel. Again, I was on a low budget. I was originally going to stay at the tried and true Santa Cruz Beach Inn I'd stayed at before, just bought by Days Inn. Days Inn had an issue locating the hotel in their database, which I took as a sign. So I decided I'd stay across the street at Torch Lite Inn, which I'd checked out before. I was quoted $55 dollars, which seemed totally worth it, but I wanted to check out a few other options, so I didnt book there. When I walked to Torch Lite Inn that night, their office was closed, and they had no vacancy. Bummer.

Then I passed Travelodge Santa Cruz Riviera. I remembered they had an indoor pool and spa, which was a big plus for my sore muscles. I rang the night bell, and a grumpy looking old man came up and quoted me $50 (he was rather terse). I decided this place was probably better than the alternative, staying down by the water in a motel. I accepted, still thinking about the spa and pool.

I was in room 216. Do not let them put you here (or in any room) without seeing it first. There was a plethora of things wrong. I think they probably built the hotel around 1980 and haven't renovated or fixed anything since. Chunks of paint chipping off the walls in every room, light switch didnt work in bedroom area (lights turned on individually, but the switch was useless), fridge was too colors, burn mark on the wall next to stove (wow I felt safe!), no drain plug in bathtub and didn't have any extras. Stains on floor, mild amount of mold. Probably cleaned in about 5 minutes. Also, they do not have conditioner. I called to ask since there was none in my room, and they only have facial soap and shampoo.

I slept well at least. Then in the morning I woke up early ot leave enough time to enjoy the spa/pool. One door to the facility was locked, the other wasn't, which was weird. I entered the area to discover the spa was not hot... at all. It was too cold to even sit in... I was in there for about a minute. Kinda dirty feeling too. Pool was also not heated. Who doesn't heat a hot tub? Epic Fail.

The same guy was there in the morning, and was a little less grumpy. I told him about the hot tub, and conditioner, and the room, and he seemed pretty much apathetic. That's fine. I won't be returning. I would rather give my 50 bucks to one of many other budget hotel/motel/inns that at least upkeep their property and heat their hot tubs.

Stay at Days Inn across the street for $10 more dollars (as quoted the next morning). It's a lovely hotel, great value for the money. They have a hot tub that is hot, and rooms with newly applied paint.

Never again.

Room Tip: Days Inn across the street is recently renovated, same basic perks of hotel, much better value.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!