“Killer location, nice enough place but not outstanding” 3 of 5 stars

Chaminade Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Chaminade Lane, Santa Cruz, CA 95065   |
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Austin, Texas
“Killer location, nice enough place but not outstanding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I spent 5 days in Chaminade for a company training program. Physically the hotel is dated and getting rather worn. The location and view of Monterrey Bay/Pacific Ocean are stupendous.

From a layout standpoint, the hotel is a sprawling collection of two story, 8-10 room structures (4-5 rooms per floor) spread out through a small redwood forest on the slopes of the Santa Cruz mountains above the city of Santa Cruz.

My room was generously sized although the bathroom was a bit cramped. There was definitely a bit of a musty odor to the place although a few nights of sleeping with the window open seemed to have solved that. Sheets, towels and so on were clean. The shower was obviously in need of a good grout replacement. We had a hot water outage one morning.

Meals in the dining area were buffet style but reasonably well implemented. The bar was a pleasant place to spend an evening with older but nice warm wood tones.

Overall, it was an ok place with someone else paying but I wouldn't recommend that you seek it out. It's actually a bit of a shame that the owners haven't done more with the place because the location is first rate.

Room Tip: Given the sprawling layout, it really depends on whether you want to eat in the resort or go down in...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Antioch, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Great place! Beds were so soft and comfortable. Food was awesome-unique and well presented.We used the pool and hot tub-clean, perfect temperatures and lots of soft, fluffy towels poolside. Staff is great-always available and knew the area well. Great value! We used a Living Social deal and it paid for dinner, breakfast (cook to order and very fresh), drinks and the room. We could see the ocean from our dinner table. Quiet and secluded.

Room Tip: We chose a forest view, away from the pool and road.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ChaminadeResort, Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review of our resort. We pride ourselves on our four diamond service as well as offering a plethora of amenities at your fingertips. Please come back to visit us and stay tuned for more great deals and special offers on our website.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

What a wonderful place to relax, enjoy, and celebrate. The Chaminade is a short drive up the hill, and a world away from all the hustle and bustle. There, I enjoyed drinks with a sunset view, walks in the redwood forest, and relaxing hours poolside or in the spa.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
We are delighted to hear such fabulous comments! Hope to welcome you back in the near future!
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I wish I could put negatives for the ratings.

I am honestly so sad to say this but I am so disappointed with the Chaminade. I had my wedding here and the Chaminade ruined it. Don't get me wrong, the ceremony came out beautiful. I married my husband and that was the most important thing.

Let me tell you a little about what went on....
The Chaminade broke my unity sand container that was performed during the ceremony. I had to pay the Chaminade more than 10,000 and they could not even take care of my items. I was suppose to cherish my unity sand for the rest of my life and now I cant. I put all of my trust in this venue and they completely broke it. Our wedding coordinator Angela [--] was anything but helpful. She basically told me its broken and there is nothing she can do about it. The food and beverage manager told me all of this comes down to business. And now the general manager.....Kevin [--]. He did not follow through with anything that he said. None of the employees that I worked with came through with what they said. Kevin said he would call me to treat my husband and I to a spa service in Hawaii but that never came through. He claimed it was because he didn't want to harass me yet I told him on multiple voicemails to call me back if he would still like to give us the spa treatment. We argued over the phone mulitple times and sure enough it came down to business. Kevin, Angela, and all the others we worked with are horrible. I cannot even begin to tell you everything else that went on. Just stay away from this venue and get married somewhere else.

I pray no other bride and groom has to experience what we went through. You will have to remember what they did to you for the rest of your life. Please rethink getting married here. Your wedding is supposed to be something that is amazing and something so beautiful. My cermeony was beautiful because I married my husband but unfortunately my memories of everything else was ruined because of the carelessness and the horrible disrespect we got from the "general manager" Kevin [--] and the wedding cordinator Angela [--]. This is so sad. You would think a wedding venue with views as beautiful as it has, has such a horrible staff and way of managing a wedding.

Thank you Chaminade for the ruined memories I have of my wedding. Please change the way you operate so other bride and grooms can actually have beautiful memories.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Samantha G.

Although Chaminade shared on multiple occasions our sincerest apologies for the broken vase, we feel it is important to also highlight the positive comments that were shared from you and your attendees during and following the event. Chaminade serves as host to over 50+ successful weddings each year. Our talented service team- I am proud to say can be considered the “Best of the Best”! Again, we understand the importance you have placed on the vase and our staff was horrified that it cracked during transport. Unfortunately, actions taken to remedy stalled out when negotiations centered around refunds well into thousands of dollars and threats of negative online reviews, Chaminade elected to hold firm on our commitment to our employees. Chaminade had hoped the complimentary services, food and beverage, and refunds to your account would satisfy. Outside of our sincere and deep regret for the grief caused by the broken vase it was unclear what more we could do.

Looking forward, the team has/will review procedures and expectations for items left behind by our wedding parties to ensure both the proper care and liability has been established during the planning phase of the ceremony. With one goal in mind, to create lasting memories and long term friendships.

Yours in hospitality,

Kevin Herbst
Santa Clara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

A beautiful location in the mountains with views of the ocean. The rooms themselves are a little dated and could use updating. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The pool facility is very nice with new cabanas on the pool deck and heated year round. The resort fee ($22/night) is ridiculous and meant to cover such services as Internet, room cleaning and tennis facilities. This is another way to increase revenues with services that are either expected or not used by all guests. Case in point, the WiFi had good coverage but the Internet speed was terribly slow such that is was virtually unusable for duration of our stay.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 600+ are nicer than the rooms in 100-300.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the kind comments on the team! We are excited to be in the planning stages of our upcoming guest room renovation stay tuned for the details. This past summer, we have upgraded all the access points in all the guest rooms, doubling their numbers and quadrupling the coverage area. Also, we have tripled our available speed. This being said, I have looked into this reported issue. Without knowing the dates, location or devices used, it is hard for me to discern what the issue could have been. I have done a site survey or the property, and have not run into any issues. I’m sorry about that inconvenience that it may have caused. If I knew more about the details, I could make sure that it doesn’t happen to anyone with the same devices or locations again.
Sincerely Yours,
Kevin Herbst
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I had my wedding at Chaminade and it was incredible. It was a picture perfect setting with an incredible view of the Ocean. It is on a beautifully landscaped property with redwood trees, gorgeous flowers, hiking trails and a really pretty grass hill we took a lot of pictures on. Our pictures came out GREAT. The best part of the wedding was the staff - they are so friendly and helpful. The wedding coordinator Angela was amazing. She was so patient with us and helped guide us through the whole process. She was the first one we met when we first went to tour the grounds and she is wonderful. Very knowledgeable and nice - my parents thought she was great too. She was there the day of the wedding too and was invaluable to have around. She took of everything - all of our ceremony things - pictures, candles, card box, etc. then took care of the favors and set up the placecards in pretty row on the table in the hallway. The room for the reception is really pretty too and the hotel room and spa were wonderful. Best decision ever to have our wedding at beautiful Chaminade!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ChaminadeResort, Marketing Assistant at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
So excited to hear about your perfect wedding! Thank you for all the fabulous comments and of course Angela wishes you and your husband nothing but the best! Congratulations!
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My husband & I had business come up in Santa Clara at the last minute, and decided to book this place for one night and not "do" the typical hotels in Silicon Valley. It was a little drive, but well worth it. The place is stunning. It reminded me of the old resorts from the 30's and 40's. Very scenic and "hidden" in Redwoods that made it very secluded. The main building is the lobby, meeting rooms and restaurant/bar. The food was quite the surprise-very very good. The view was lovely from the table near the bar. Service at the entire hotel was astounding!

The view/outside grounds are just gorgeous. A wedding and/or reception would be lovely here.

Our room (more like a suite) was in a separate building, as are all of the rooms. And it was HUGE. The bed was surprisingly the best hotel bed we've ever slept in!! I want to go back just for the bed. The decor is a little retro mixed with lodge. It worked well for the surroundings and building. It had hot tubs, pool, spa, etc. but we did not have time to try them.

I would go back in a minute!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to hear such great things from such an avid traveler. Please do come back and save time for the pool and other amenities in which you missed out on in November. Hope to welcome you on another business or leisure trip!

Been to Chaminade Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!