“Wedding was beautiful! Hotel-not worth it.” 2 of 5 stars

Chaminade Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Chaminade Lane, Santa Cruz, CA 95065   |
Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Diego, California
“Wedding was beautiful! Hotel-not worth it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This review is solely about the hotel portion of the resort, NOT the wedding venue. We were here for an absolutely stunning wedding and the onsite wedding planner was wonderful. Very beautiful venue.

Unfortunately, the hotel portion of the trip didn't come even close to our expectations. Our air conditioning was broken for over 5 hours and we had to call multiple times to get someone out to take a look at it. It was an unusual 80 degrees that day and we were not given any compensation for the inconvenience of napping and getting ready in an incredibly hot, stuffy room. The jacuzzi at the pool had jets that shot out the top of the water, not the relaxing time we'd hoped for. We had to call 3 times across a span of 2 hours to get a microwave to the room to heat up food for the bride. Disappointing to say the least for the expensive price of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Beneath the glossy marketing this place is a joke. The experience we had was very bad. The room (suite) was dated. The walls are as thin a paper (so you can hear the smallest noise around us from other guests). The in room dining (breakfast) was not pleasant. I'm just never coming back again.

• Stayed September 2013
Union City, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

What happened to this place?

My former employer hosted our annual Christmas parties here for years and would put us up for the night. It use to be a lot nicer, but it looks like wear and tear plus age have taken its toll on this once beautiful property.

Check in was smooth considering they had quite a few large parties for the weekend. I had reserved a king room but we were given a room with 2 queens. A fast call down to the main building, and they quickly sent staff to help us move from the 800 building to the 700 building. Thanks Greyson for the upgrade to the junior suite.

Our room was nice enough but the bed sheets didn't fit the bed and the bottom of the sheets were rough! Upon closer inspection we determined that the sheets did not cover the bed and we could feel the padding under the bed with our bare feet. Weird! It grossed me out and I had a difficult time sleeping. I would think it was a health issue not having the sheets properly fit the bed. Violation! There were also blondish red hair strands on the shower wall that greeted me when I went to take a shower. Housekeeping may need to spend a bit more time and not rush cleaning the rooms.

My other pet peeve was that parking was limited and most of the hotel patrons including us had to park in the overflow lot which is not paved and poorly lit. Low and newly washed cars, you are [--]. Lucky for us we have an SUV that was already in need of a washing so it was never an issue.

I also felt tricked by Chaminade. I purchased a Mountain Top Breakfast package but they never said that the hours for the breakfast were limited to 7:00 - 9:30. It was not disclosed anywhere on their website about the limited hours for the breakfast and we only were told upon checking into the hotel that this was the deal. If you wanted to have breakfast in the Sunset Room as a part of the package I purchased, you would have to wake up early. So much for sleeping in. Apparently they have a Sunday Brunch that begins at 10 a.m. but that was NOT a part of the package that I purchased. Tricky, tricky Chaminade. No bueno!

Like other yelpers I was surprised with the $22 resort fee that they don't mention until you check in. Talk about deceptive practices. Trick me once, shame on you, trick me twice, shame on me. This will definitely be the last time we stay at Chaminade.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Redding, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Staff is amazing!! I took my daughter to Santa Cruz to move into her dorm at UCSC in our newly purchased used pick up truck. While at dinner, the window in the truck broke and was stuck inside the door while rolled down. When we got back to the hotel, I asked Junior, our helpful valet if he could keep an eye on the truck with my daughter's belongings since the cab could not be locked. He assured me her things would be secure. When we woke the next day, the window was rolled up and taped to the outside of the truck! He had done his best to fix the problem. We drove home to Northern CA and had a quiet, peaceful 5 hour ride instead of a loud, windy ride.
Both mornings we enjoyed several cups of complimentary coffee on the back patio with a gorgeous view before going in for the best breakfast buffet around. The hotel is clean, the food is delicious and the staff is incredible! This is my second stay and second 5 star review.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ChaminadeResort, Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
So glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you were able to enjoy your stay (and ride home) stree free! Come back again to enjoy those gorgeous views!

Thank you!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

A great value for your money, with lots of activities to take advantage of - great gym, tennis courts, pool and a few hiking trails. It was a lovely venue for my friend's wedding (100 people). At about 6pm... mist began to creep into the area making the backdrop for the wedding photos sublime. The hill below the patio made for a great playground for the younger (and older guests) who decided to take a roll down the hill :)

Room Tip: Top floor :)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I needed a relaxing getaway and this place was perfect. Quiet area, friendly staff, great rooms and bar/patio area. We look forward to our next visit to try a couples message.
They have a wonderful view of the city and ocean. There are great areas to visit and eat all within a 20 min drive.

• Stayed August 2013
Oakleigh, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The room was very nice. Standard but clean and well kept. Definitely overpriced, and we could hear all the neighbors with their kids, and the next room's tv playing very loudly through the wall.
Scenery around the hotel was gorgeous. Front desk was flustered by two weddings going on. Little communication between emloyees in the restaurant who moved us from our seats to accommodate the wedding. bar tender made a great mint julep. Couples 80 min massage in the spa was great. Lots of KIDS everywhere. So if you want quiet, beware.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chaminade Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!