“Not what I expected.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Fresno, California, United States
“Not what I expected.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I was expecting more from a AAA Four Diamond resort. The walls are paper-thin. We were woken up by housekeeping or inconsiderate guests. We made the mistake of staying on the first floor. It sounded like bears were above us. We also had a couple of spiders staying with us. I would also like to be able to open the patio door without cigarette smoke from next door wafting in my room.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Alameda, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Delightful, tucked away resort; I can't wait to return!

Up a road of (I think) Eucalyptus, the property is self-contained - I'm a sucker for this; I don't like to leave a delightful hideaway unless I have to. Pool - amazingly warm. Hot tub - perfect! Little gazebos. The rooms are great - perfect for a corporate getaway, with a little separate table. The beds are comfortable. The restaurant is *fantastic*, with a view of the bay. And fire tables! Who doesn't like fire with their foggy evenings?

The night we were there they'd just started their picnic-on-the-lawn thing, with movie nights by the pool. What a great idea, genius for summers!

I could've done with a bit more quiet; you definitely know you have neighbors, but NOT during fourth of July week, this would be perfect; particularly if you had a conference here.

I wish I'd know about this the last time we had to book a corporate event. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonora, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were looking for a much needed time away for relaxation along with some family fun! Chaminade was the place!! It is far enough away from the crazy Santa Cruz attractions that it was easy to relax here. When we wanted to venture out, Dillion G, was able to offer us great places to eat in Capitola for the kids and us to enjoy the beach atmosphere while dining. The employees at Chaminade were wonderful. Both of my girls ended up getting the stomach flu while we were there (my other child just got over it the day we arrived) and the staff was so helpful and accommodating. The pool, volleyball and tennis courts were great. The fact that they let you borrow all the sporting equipment was superb. I saw several groups there using the pool that were also using the spa services. Great idea! Next time I am taking advantage of that! The breakfast buffet was incredible and we ate outside everyday enjoying the amazing views and grounds. At night they had fire pits available which added so much ambiance. We had the luxury suite which was good for our large family. My only suggestion was a bigger bathroom.:-( I have already recommended you to some family and look forward to when we can return. Thank you for helping us with the much needed relaxation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ChaminadeResort, Public Relations Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Grant,

Thank you so much for the kind comments. Keep on the lookout for our new outdoor family movie and s'mores nights during the summer.

Hopefully everyone is feeling better and we hope to see you and your family again very soon!

Cheers,

Team Chaminade
Lafayette, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were shown a room that was dark, musty and not what was shown on the web site. Desk clerk was very rude and unresponsive, saying we "didn't do our homework" before making the reservation. He also told us he was selling rooms, not pictures. Needless to say, we left the hotel. We would never recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you check in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dixon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The grounds and setting are very nice. The rooms are not resort like. I had a mini suite and did not even have a mini fridge.
The food at the restaurant was awesome. The service at night was turtle like, the young man seating people was more concerned with his phone than seating hungry patrons. Because the food was so good, we went with it.

As far as checking in, it took hours for our room to finally be clean and ready. The front desk people were great. There were some employees such as the wait staff at night at the retaurant need serious training. They are more concerned talking to each other about their lives than paying attention to their jobs. The restaurant manager needs to do some server training.

For the price, I will find a better destination. Despite all, still had an enjoyable weekend. The lunch waitstaff was on the ball and very friendly.

Hats off the folks at the check in desk, very helpful and friendly. Not a 4 star resort though.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Patterson, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here 7/1-4/2013. I found this resort via 'pet friendly' and what a great surprise - grounds are well kept and beautiful with all the flowers and the trees. Nice hiking areas for my dogs. Had a great experience from the friendliness of the staff - starting with valet, check in, waitress, and maids. Best I've ever had - and I travel a lot! Met the GM, Kevin, at breakfast which was a fabulous buffet included in my package - had a chef making made-to-order eggs and omelets which was also excellent, lemon soufflé pancakes, Belgium waffles, fresh fruit and lots more. Had a private deck overlooking the redwoods. The room was clean and fresh - and I did not have any issues with the retro-look of the furniture. Bathroom was pristine and loved the full bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash on the wall of the shower - brilliant!. Dual Shower heads really kicked it up a notch. Only had a 2 day reservation, but asked to stay a third night based on all of the above - and I haven't even talked about the pool/spa! My vacations will be at this resort in the future. Truly impressed.

Room Tip: make sure to ask for the rooms with the deck - better experience I think.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Susan,

Thank you so much for the glowing review. We hope to see you and your pooches again soon at our new 'Yappy Hour'.

Cheers,

Team Chaminade
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I think this truly is one of those places you go because of everything else but the rooms, and the rooms are OK enough to make the rest worth the cost. I stayed 3 nights. The proximity to fun places around Santa Cruz is great, and the restaurants have awesome patios looking out towards the bay. The food and service was great in the restaurant. The resort is very reminiscent of a retreat center or camp with dorms, buildings spread out far but they have valet parking. There is also a very nice hiking trail on their grounds in the forest, so nice and cool and a beautiful walk with a wide walkway. Of course there is also a nice pool and jacuzzi area.

The rooms are spacious but as others have mentioned the bathrooms are unnecessarily tiny and the shampoo, soap etc. is a joke (a wall-mounted dispenser used by everyone). Wifi is great and no charge. They have a gym with lots of equipment.

The number of AC receptacles is absolutely terrible so if you have computers and phones, etc. bring extension cords and multi-outlet adapters (none by the bed!). I'm not a good judge of room decor but my wife was not impressed.

I'm giving it 4 stars because of everything else but the rooms but they are perfectly fine if you're not spending your day there. Don't go here to stay in 4 star rooms, go to be in a beautiful resort away from the crowds, nice restaurant, but still close to the parks and beaches you'd like in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Request first floor room so you don't feel like you're in a motel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Chaminade Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!