“Not really worth the money” 3 of 5 stars

Chaminade Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Chaminade Lane, Santa Cruz, CA 95065   |
Ranked #15 of 51 hotels in Santa Cruz
San Francisco, CA
“Not really worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

When we arrived, it took forever to check-in. There was only one gal at the reception desk and about 6 people in line. Finally another gal came to help but it still took about 30 minutes to check in. Husband and kids were waiting in the car and finally they came in wondering what was taking so long.

The exterior of the building looks really old but the interior is nicely decorated. The bathroom is super tiny. I'm a small gal and when I went in there with my 5 year old to give a bath, there was no room to move around. The water was also really hard to adjust. The temperature would feel right but then you get in and the water is scalding. I tried to turn it down and bit but then it got too cold. I felt like I had to keep adjusting the water. It was hard because my 2 kids are small and the water has to be just right.

Went to eat at their restaurant in the evening and felt the food was a little overpriced. The kids had chicken strips which was nothing fancy and I think it was $9 per child. I had the salmon which was good but my husband has the pork tenderloin and he didn't think much of it. For the 4 of us (with no drinks) and 1 appetizer came out to $115.

The best part of the trip for the kids was the buffet breakfast and the pool. The breakfast has a really good spread and there's someone to make omelettes and waffles. There was alot of fresh fruit. Yummy! We went there on a really nice weekend and the kids wanted to swim and I was surprised at how warm the water was. There were also plenty of fresh towels there to dry off.

I felt for the price, this place is just ok. We live about an hour away and wanted to take the kids for a weekend in Santa Cruz so we went horseback riding and to the Boardwalk. We paid for the room in advance through AAA but was still hit with a resort fee, tourism tax, etc, etc, etc...and had to pay another $32.

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

So I made a reservation for a family of 4 with two queen beds. Then because my 11 yr old son would "prefer" not to sleep in the same bed as his 9 yr old sister, I requested a rollaway. They are adding $40 per night! They are the only hotel I have ever heard of that actually charge for a rollaway- in addition, I am the reason that several families made reservations on that same weekend. I swear I will never recommend this hotel to anyone again! If all my friends were not staying at this same hotel now because of me- I would cancel my reservation-

Do Not Stay Here - Try the Dream Inn- I asked the same question and I wish they had enough room for all the other parties coming or I would switch my reservation! I guess thats why they are sold out and not Chaminade because they dont GOUGE you for a rollaway and they provide service.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

During our stay, the room had no wifi and no 4G connection. My husband needed to work but he could not get a connection in the room, so he had to go outside.
The phone in the room didn't work properly. When we told the problem to the front desk, they did not do anything other than " yes, we heard about that."
The room is a bit better than motel. For the price we paid, it's not worth it.
The location is nice but we do not stay here anymore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review. We do have a state of the art system at Chaminade Resort & Spa servicing several thousand guest stays a month, however technology is often prone to challenges or human error. Your comments were reviewed at the time of your stay and the problem remedied within 24 hours by our onsite professional IT team. Should you have further comments please feel free to contact me directly via email at kherbst@chaminade.com. Thank you.
Kevin Herbst - General Manager
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The location is amazing but for the price, you may be disappointed. The property appears run down. The style is late 80's. Although staff is very nice overall, the level of service was below average for a resort/spa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you kind comments on the resort in general, while the property was renovated in the last 5 years the retro modern will seem like a throw back to the 80’s. We would like to explore your comments regarding the level of service and staff. Please feel free to reach out in person to discuss, as we are always interested in honest feedback. My email is kherbst@chaminade.com - General Manager - Kevin Herbst.
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This lovely spot used to be a seminary, and looks over the whole of the Monterey Bay. Have a drink here and watch the sunset - order a great lunch or dinner from a master chef. Attractive spa and health club, lovely pool & hot tub in a sunny spot. Extremely helpful and friendly staff, and great yoga teacher in the exercise classes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I wanted to get away for a night, we arrived, checked in and everyone was very nice. First problem was the hot water on the shower ranged from Very hot to Scalding, it wouldn't cool down to a reasonable temp. We tried calling the front desk but the phone didn't work. After about 5 minutes of fiddling with it, it went from scalding hot to luke warm, so we both showered quickly in luke warm water.

In the room, we immediately noticed how much noise we picked up from our neighbors and people walking down the hallway. The walls in the 1100 building were absolutely paper thin. We went out to dinner, came back and through one wall, we could hear the TV playing. On the other wall, we could hear a guy snoring. Above us we must have had some neurotic person there, but they were pacing back and forth and we could hear every step (loud) and the building creaked with every footstep.

I used toilet paper to plug my ears which helped a bit. We were up til about 12:00 listening to these things until the guy above us finally went to bed and we fell asleep. We were awoken at 2:00, 2:30 and 3:00 all to the guy above us stomping around and the snorer. At one point I stood on the bed and banged the ceiling and he stopped walking around. I'd say we got maybe 3 hours of sleep. We even debated driving home at 2:30, but decided to tough it out.

At 6:30 am, we were awoken by people talking loudly, dogs barking, people slamming doors, all which were too loud for anyone to be able to sleep through.

We tried to sleep in, but couldn't so we got packed up, went to the front desk and asked for a refund. Because we booked through Expedia the girl said there was nothing they could do, except offer us a breakfast voucher. We said that was unacceptable, that we had one of our worst nights sleep in a long time while paying $220 to do so. She said, "well you should have called us." I told her the phone was broken. "Well, there's nothing we can do now that it's in the past, you should have used your cell phone." Insinuating that we did something wrong here.

I told her I wanted to talk to a manager, but the manager wasn't coming in til 10:00 am, so we left our number and information and said we were going to write a terrible review if someone didn't help compensate us for our bad experience Two days later and they still haven't called.

My guess is, this is a recurring problem for them and they don't care about providing a good experience for their guests, just making money. It was frustrating that the check out girl didn't offer to have a manager speak with us, that she just kept placing the blame with us and saying there was "nothing" she could do.

I understand some of these things are unavoidable, but the bottom line is if you're looking for a nice, relaxing, quiet get away, this place is not for you. The walls are so paper thin that you can hear everything around you going on.

If you do decide to stay here, bring your ear plugs.

Room Tip: Not the 1100 building.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your Tripadvisor contribution. We do strive to exceed all our guest expectations and I am sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in person, please contact me via email at kherbst@chaminade.com at your earliest convenience.

Kind Regards,

Kevin Herbst
Chaminade Resort & Spa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Went here for a meeting. Loved it! Its not really a beach getaway, but great for businesses! Its got more of a forest feel than a beach one. Never having been to California, I didn't realize that the Sierras and Redwood forests were in the area... I just expected costal. But Santa Cruz and Chaminade are great because you get it all. Just a short drive you can go down to a boardwalk on the ocean, or you can enjoy the seclusion of the resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Chaminade Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!