“Good area for retreat” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 52 hotels in Santa Cruz
Chicago, IL
“Good area for retreat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This resort really has a secluded feel to it. I attended a business meeting here in October 2012.

Rooms are spread across small buildings extending from the main building. The pool and gym are more centralized. Very well kept grounds.

The room was very average, maybe a little dated. Bedding and linens were OK. Nice working desk and small sitting area in my room. Free wifi.

The gym was large with lots of equipment, but the cardio machines were a bit old (e.g. shared TV's).

Food quality was good at the restaurant. Good variety and comfortable dining areas.

Room Tip: Look at the grounds and decide if you want to be close/far from the main building depending on the r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review. Your feedback has been well received and we look forward to welcoming you in the future. Sincerely, Kevin Herbst, General Manager

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I recently completed a Meeting for my Organization at Chaminade. I did not have much time to plan and the staff, specifically Sarah Greathouse and Diane Fitzgerald were amazing! They knew just what to do and how to manage my group(about 100 people). The food is excellent and the atmosphere is wonderful. I was assisted from food selection to amount to order and the captains assigned to my events were equally as knowledgeable. I was never in search of someone to assist me - staff was always around to help and facilitate.

I appreciated very much their professionalism and assistance. Sarah and Diane know what they are doing and that is an invaluable quality when meeting planner is one of many "hats" that I wear. I completely relied on their expertise for food and venue choices and they did not let me down.

Planning the event was a breeze and it went off without a hitch. My group will be returning soon to have the same wonderful experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
We are delighted to hear such wonderful comments regarding our staff and service here at Chaminade Resort & Spa. Looking forward to your making your next offsite a success! - Kevin Herbst, General Manager
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Atmosphere was awesome. Loved the location and how you feel as though you are far away, yet the town is right there. The room was comfortable and welcoming. This was a well needed anniversary getaway and being welcomed at such a beautiful place made the stay amazing, relaxing and very peaceful....CANT WAIT TO GO BACK!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review. We are delighted to hear that your anniversary was amazing, relaxing and peaceful. Come back soon! - Kevin Herbst, General Manager
Walnut Creek, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

They have nice outdoor layout, but inside our room I can only say it is average. The leather on the arm of one of the two chars is worn out badly. You probably will see something like that at a garage sale in a poor neighborhood. Bathroom is WAY too small. The hot water switch is not functioning properly. The bed is even worse. There are a lot of feather stems stick thru the sheet which makes the bed quite spiky. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this is something first time ever happened to me.

Be aware they have $20 so-called 'resort fee' on top of the room charge.

Having said above, they do have nice outdoor pool and tennis courts. The two shaded trails are also very enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ChaminadeResort, Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less than top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I would love the opportunity to discuss the issues mentioned in your review, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at kherbst@chaminade.com.

Warm regards, Kevin Herbst General Manager
Aptos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Last year, about this time, my now husband and I were looking for a wonderful setting to have our June 2012 wedding. We were on a budget and had no idea of the actual cost and work that went into planning a wedding . Our guests list was 70 people including the children that were invited and we wanted quality combined with elegance and fun!

I was the lucky one who got to go out for the initial investigation of sites and services in the Santa Cruz area. Within in the first 2 weeks I was depressed that most places did not include services and there were site fees along with extra charges for wedding coordination, Las Vegas was looking really good, but not what we wanted.

A friends recommend going to The Chaminade we thought, no way could we afford this amazing venue. Then we met Angela Edmond, wedding coordinator/fairy godmother/miracle worker. Angela was relaxed, efficient, kind warm and so friendly we felt at ease right away. She gave us all sorts of budget options, some ideas we had never considered. Our package included all the food, I mean appetizer, main meal, cake everything. She was able to break every thing down and we could not believe what we really could afford to have our wedding day at The Chaminade. The grounds were beautiful, the view was spectacular, the staff all very professional and friendly. But when we found out that Angela came with the entire event, we were sold.

Angela not only took every call from us about all sorts of wedding crazy brain ideas and thoughts, she also coordinated everything down to putting the favors on the tables, working with the florist and photographer, I mean everything.
The Chaminade has a full Event Tasting months before the wedding so we could choose the appetizers, main dishes, cake, wines, all displayed beautifully.

Here is the end of our story and proof the with Angela's help and The Chaminade's Staff, this really was the best place to get married in Santa Cruz, our wedding day was beyond amazing. The banquet manager, Shannon Del Carlo, is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She came by our table several times to see if she could get us food, or wine , or help us in anyway possible. She did a great job at blending in and making everyone feel invited. My dad who is 80 years old said "Honey, your wedding day was beautiful and the food was good too". Thank you Angela and The Chaminade for helping us have such wonderful wedding day memories.

Best to you all,
Dave and Holly Hibbard
Aptos,CA

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
We are delighted to hear that your wedding day was a dream come true AND the service from our employees was TOP NOTCH! Congratulations to you both!
Santa Clarita, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you need a great location for a business conference, this location is perfect. Off the beaten path, high on a bluff above Santa Cruz. Food was great. The nice part is the cost includes breakfast and lunch buffett, cafeteria style, but very stylish, with other groups who are also holding events at the resort. Nice to mingle with others if you want, or stay with your group. Each group has their own designated eating area, inside or outside. Clean, plenty to choose from. The meeting rooms are fantastic and the hotel rooms are cozy and clean.

Room Tip: The hotel is spread out from the meeting rooms, so if you ont want to walk ( I mean hike) or drive t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review on our hotel and conference services. Your feedback is valuable to all guests and meeting planners looking for four diamond luxury and top notch service in the Santa Cruz area.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I don't know the history of the resort, but it feels like a once glorious resort that has been resold to the management that is more interested in squeezing its guests.

We stayed there for one Saturday night. The grounds are lovely, set on a hill overlooking Santa Cruz and the Pacific, at the main building. They have 3+ miles of hiking trails. Tennis courts. We didn't eat there, but the prices seemed high. The pool was fine. On the hot tub, the jets weren't working and the water temp was too low,. Parking near the rooms is inadequate, but there are additional lots nearby. Room was nice, spacious, looking directly into a forest where moths have taken over. Two windows that open, but only one has a screen. Do they really want the moths to take over the room? At night there would be 100 moths glued to the window. Even in the daytime about 20 moths were dying to get in.

Here's where they seemed particularly cheap. No toll-free phone EXCEPT for making reservations. Lovely room with two sinks, but only one tiny bar of soap. The skin cream was in a non-resealable container, and the only soap and shampoo and conditioner were in the shower in locked down containers, i.e. probably cheaper than having them in little bottles. Only one robe in the closet, Do they really think only one person stays in a place like this? Not very likely. Spa prices are very high.

But what was particularly annoying was that on checkout they tried to stick us with their $20 "Resort Fee." I had noticed when checking in that I had to sign something that mentioned that. I had bought the room through Priceline and of course, there was nothing about a resort fee there, so I told them that when checking in, and crossed out that sentence on the paper I was signing, and they said OK, you don't have to pay the resort fee. On checking out, again they tried to charge me for the resort fee, and I had to push and push before they backed off on it. Luckily I had crossed out the sentence about the fee on the paper I signed as they weren't sure who had done it.

Why is it the more expensive hotels are always the cheapest, trying to squeeze their customers at every opportunity with fees that would never be charged in regular hotels. What other industry gets away with that?

OK, I don't often stay in resort hotels, as you can probably tell.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your Tripadvisor contribution. We do strive to exceed all our guest expectations, especially providing a luxury resort experience. I would like to explore in detail the missed opportunities you encountered while on property. I can be contacted via email at kherbst@chaminade.com. Looking forward to speaking with you.

Kevin Herbst – General Manager

Been to Chaminade Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!