“5 year Anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Hayward, California
“5 year Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Chaminade Spa & Resort about two weeks ago for our 5 year Wedding Anniversary. We had never stayed here before but we wanted to try something new. The only pictures we seen were on the interenet, so we were very excited when we arrived. I was a bit nervous but the excitement was very overwhelming. The Resort was awesome. We had a AWESOME time, the food was delicious, and also the service was AWESOME! The views were AWESOME, the resturante was very romantic which had a romantic setting. Appartently we weren't the only ones there for our anniversary. WE really had a nice time! We even seen two weddings while we were there. I would love to go back with my girls to have a spa weekend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ChaminadeResort, Public Relations Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
So glad you enjoyed your anniversary weekend at Chaminade Resort & Spa! A spa visit for your next stay is a must....don't forget to check out our website for seasonal spa offers specials.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel could be a resort if it wanted to but something is just missing. It is in a great location and the buildings are nicely spread out, but they are worn down and have had a small sprucing. Their is no concierge and the front desk makes do, but if you need any real help you are out of luck.

Room Tip: try to get one of the junior suites, they are away from most of the cars and people
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ChaminadeResort, Public Relations Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your Tripadvisor contribution. We do strive to exceed all our guest expectations, especially providing a luxury resort experience. I would like to explore in detail the missed opportunities you encountered while on property. I can be contacted via email at kherbst@chaminade.com. Looking forward to speaking with you.

Kevin Herbst – General Manager
Santa Rosa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I were given a Gift Certificate to stay a night with Chaminade Hotel and we were really excited. It was for our 1 year anniversary and we wanted to make the best of things. We checked in, gave them the GC and were handed a bill that said $0.00 for a balance. Which is what I expected. We decided to go into town and after checking my bank account, I realized they took $420.00 out!!! Nothing was said to me! I asked them about it and was given nothing but attitude! A woman by the name of Deb was unfriendly and rude! My husband and I planned on driving along the coast and staying the night somewhere but were unable to because they took all my money. Not only that but the service was HORRIBLE. They were stuck up and had too much attitude. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Thanks for ruining my anniversary!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ChaminadeResort, Public Relations Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review and explanation of your issue. As an industry standard, Chaminade Resort places a temporary authorization on all credit card or debit card funds in order to cover potential charges and ensure enough funds are available. I apologize that our staff didn’t explain this and you were left with an unexpected authorization charge. We will be reviewing our procedures and make sure all guests are aware of our current policy at the time of check-in. I would like the opportunity to discuss this further, you can reach me via email at Kherbst@chaminade.com at your leisure.

Thank you!

Kevin Herbst
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Objectively this place has a lot going for it, but is let down by a lack of any renovation or care for the basics of it's facilities. Worse, the staff clearly know this and try and hide behind a superficially caring monologue.
The manager unfortunately seems to answer issues post event rather than during the stay, which all makes me conclude, that everyone knows there's a problem but no one can deal with it. This may have once been an exculsive place but its being squeezed as a cash cow, with high prices for no value

The issue is that these problems may pass for a 2 star property but not a resort which demands very high prices. For those customers who are hard of hearing, this may move up to a 3 star.

To the Pro's: location is wonderful, no doubt about that. Pool is nice and quiet most times. The views excellent from the restaurant. The cleaning staff, all Hispanic, try their best & are quick to respond & are the most genuine part of this place.

The cons: The noise from any of the plumbing is horrendous. Walk along a corridor and you would think there's a flood of biblical proportions about to hit. If anyone takes a shower within a radius of the whole building block, you will hear it ...and loud.
The rooms have been renovated but look really worn and uncared for. The suites extra room (living area), are NOT meant to be slept in unless you don't mind having a glass door (albeit glazed) to the corridor outside. So not for families in my opinion.
The restaurant is well located but poorly served - staff really don't care about needs of customers, especially those on B&B. Apologies to the one lady who was the exception during 4 day stay. The food is quite poor, be it breakfast or lunch.
The service is all about smiles without content, Ask for something and its all gracious replies but no action.
The buildings look like a university dorm from the outside and sorry to say, reflect the whole hotel resort's features - drab, old and noisy

Conclusion: this place needs some serious investment (re-plumbing the whole resort, building walls not paper between rooms, training staff in hotel mgt not IT helpdesk responses).
I'm not one to go overboard on criticism, but for once I would say keep the hell away from this place...
For a one nighter student party, you probably don't care, for any serious traveller, please avoid to save extreme disappointment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us here at Chaminade Resort & Spa. I would like the opportunity to discuss your review in depth. If you wish to communicate, I can be reached at Kherbst@chaminade.com.

Thank you!

Kevin Herbst
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My BFF and I stayed at the Chaminade Resort for a week to celebrate our birthdays. We left the husbands at home with the children and dogs and had a blast. Everyone that we encountered was super service oriented and eager to make us feel welcome. Lee Taylor made the absolute best omelets every morning and offerred tips on cool places to go. We ate dinner at Linwoods 1 night and enjoyed a delicious meal and local bottle of wine.

I'm a swimmer and the pool is heated and was perfect for swimming laps first thing in the morning at 6:00 am.

We found the location a great central point and traveled south to Monterey a couple of the days and then enjoyed a drive north to Felton and Los Gatos on Route 17. Awesome views and fun road to drive.

We met locals while walking on the Nature Trail who also offerred suggestions on places to eat

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a Forest View. The rooms on the ground level have patios where yo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
So glad that you had a great girl's getaway! Your review mentions so many hot spots at Chaminade, including the hiking trails, warm outdoor pool and you even got to experience Lee's FAMOUS omelets! Thank you for taking the time to review our service and resort.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Frankly, I don't understand the need to post overly negative reviews about Chaminade.
Over the years we have stayed at Chaminade on several occasions, particularly when our children were young. Other families would meet us there so our children could play together.
The grounds are very well kept, the main building is geared to group events but pleasantly decorated, very clean, well tended and offers a spectacular view of Santa Cruz.
The rooms are fine: very well kept, clean, everything in good working order and with everything you might need, although I did not see a fridge in our room during our last stay.

Chaminade is not an inexpensive place to stay for a couple or a family but we have always enjoyed it and our kids, starting from age 3 and up always had fun.
There is a forest in the back of the resort where you can go for short hikes - no other place in Santa Cruz offers that.
The resort attracts weddings and other events and there are instances when guests are noisy but that's the only negative I have noticed.

For the best deals, book directly on their web site (my experience).

Room Tip: Pool side rooms can be noisier. We had a room facing the forest, a bit dark at first but quieter an...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted hear about your recent experience at Chaminade Resort & Spa. Chaminade is definitely a unique location and yes, we are the only property in Santa Cruz to offer such a secluded location with hiking trails. Looking forward to your next getway!
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Although pricey ($425/ night for a suite) our family really enjoyed our stay.

On the plus side, our suite (room 104) was huge, came with a kitchenette and fridge (perfect for bottle washing and snacks) and the food in the restarant was superb. The views and property grounds were outstanding. Our suite was on the ground floor, with a deck overlooking trees. Beautiful. There are lovely nature trails on the property. The hotel provided two cribs at no charge. Our toddler loved it. Jennifer in reservations was super helpful, she even found us a sitter!

On the downside, the bathrooms need to be updated and the pool is very small. Forget about cabanas or waitress service. The walls are thin as is common for older properties. No bedding was supplied with the cribs. They charged us $15/ night for a microwave, which should have been included at the rate we were paying.

I read the negative reviews and I think Chaminade has a branding problem. It pretends to be a luxury resort like the Rosewood. Truthfully it's too rustic to pull it off. If the hotel rebranded itself as "Santa Cruz Wilderness Lodge" people would be THRILLED to stay here. But if you are expecting luxury, it falls short.

With all that said, we will be back next year. I'm just keeping my eyes peeled for a Groupon deal....

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review! We are delighted to hear that your family getaway was a success. Your feedback is definitely helpful and we look forward to your return.

Been to Chaminade Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!