“Great location with friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casablanca Inn on the Beach

You added Casablanca Inn on the Beach to your Saves list
Casablanca Inn on the Beach
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   101 Main Street, corner of Beach and Main, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Formerly The Casablanca Inn)   |
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“Great location with friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Second time we stayed here. Friendly staff, great location, rooms and bed are good size. Great place to stay. I liked the first room we had, right in front so we could sit and watch everyone on the beach.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Pleasanton, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Pro:
- Great location right across from the beach.
- Many rooms have a great view of the beach.
- lots of towels and room (stayed in 15) was large

Con:
- My wife arrived first with the 2 little girls and they first sent her to the room right on the street. She saw the door with rod iron bars and just went back to the office immediately. They then put us in room 15 which was in a better/safer location. Given that she had the kids in hand this should not have happened at all. It ruined part of the trip for her, knowing people could be so uncaring about families.
- The room was not modern and the carpet had stains all throughout.
- I was called at 1pm and told my checkin time was 4pm, but my reservation said 3pm. This was as I was on the drive and planning to reach the hotel at around 3:30pm. Not cool. The lady said that 3pm should not be a problem? Well it better not be with 2 little kids in my car.
- I requested the extended checkout to 3pm and was charged $25, but my reservation said it should have cost $20. I know it is only $5 but the lack of consistency here is disturbing.
- The bathroom had rust on all the fittings and definitely needed a good overall cleaning. On the surface it looked clean but it is pretty gross to see hair from someone else on the floor.

Bottom line is the hotel has a lot of benefits, but I will not be staying there again. I would rather stay in a more modern and better service hotel and drive to the beach. This place is just a money generator for someone that doesn't really care much about the reputation of the place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The Location is awesome!! Beautiful views. Cool Hotel, could use some renovations. Definitely paying for the location. Staff was very nice. Look forward to coming back. The hotel is historic…would be awesome if they restored it to its original beauty.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Worst hotel room for the cost. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for this dump. The fridge handle, broken off, plastic patio table broken, rigged together at the base with wire, the guests before us complained cuz the sent maintenance to repair a $10 plastic patio table. Woke up to a bug on the bed, inches from our head, better not be a bedbug! We went for our birthdays 44th& 45th, we usually get the suite with rooftop balcony in Pacifica, CA for cheaper, but we wanted a coastal change. Santa Cruz is beautiful but this hotel is not. Website says check in at 3p but day of stay hotel calls to tell me check in is at 4p, printed info sheet inside hotel room says continental breakfast lobby 7a-10a, hotel office wasn't even open until 7:30 and there wasn't a continental breakfast then either. The lady working Sat 8/16 whose name I didn't get was rude, her customer service lacked in every way, she didn't even try to give the appearance of being helpful. While I waited behind I person who was being checked in by a 2nd desk person she just stared at me, didn't try to check me in so I had to wait for the person in front of me to discuss room options as she didn't like the quality of the room she reserved online either. All around this hotel wins the worst value for the super high price, stay elsewhere, you have been warned

Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Made reservations based on the location; it's tough to beat being across from the beach. But this was honestly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in -- and we paid about $350 a night for it. The first room was the "captain's suite" which my kids loved (boys 9 & 12) because it was big. It has a cute little kitchen but it didn't compensate for how old and dirty the room, the carpet, and the bed is, and for being right next to the roof kitchen exhaust/fan of the Thai restaurant which sits a level below. Incessant fan, unpleasant smell, no escape. Our second night was in one of the "family suites," which they say are their most popular rooms. Popular for whom, I wonder? On our night it was smokers on the shared patio and a heavy-drinking coors light crowd. At 2am I went out and kindly asked the 20-something couple to take their argument somewhere else. Lovely. The only redeeming factor of this hotel was the front desk service. They were kind, helpful -- and somehow genuinely surprised that we found the hotel conditions sub-par. I don't know how; I stayed at Super 8s in Iowa as a kid that were in better shape than this hotel. No one should stay here at their current prices. Ever.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
San Leandro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Great svc, wonderful staff, a fabulous stay on the beach! The room was super clean, lot's of towels, decor was tastefully done, lot's of windows, could hear the waves rolling on to the beach at in evening, just love it here!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Totally not worth the price. Internet pictures and videos are misleading. Needs major renovation. I told my family to pretend we were camping and we would wash up really well when we get home. Sheets are old. Dust in corners and on fans. Sticky floors. Broken furniture. The presidential suite was a joke! Can you imagine the other rooms? Yuck!

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Casablanca Inn on the Beach? Share your experiences!