“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oswald is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 329 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front
Santa Cruz, California
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Oswald's is a very classy upscale restaurant with good food. It reminds me a lot of restaurants that I have visited in San Francisco. They have a great selection of mixed drinks.

Visited July 2012

Los Altos, California
“Paradise for your palette”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Unpretentous setting in downtown Santa Cruz, Oswald, has a genius chef with an outstanding wait staff. Patrons dressed in suit and tie, to beach casual pack the place on a Wednesday night to enjoy the delightful menu. Though crowded, sitting at our table for two, we didn't feel intruded upon by our fellow diners.
The menu is select, but imaginative. Only the very freshest ingredients used to send foodies into a swoon of delight.

My appetizer was a beautifully battered an pan seared abalone on a bed on greens. The abalone was tender an sweet, the batter a light breadcrumb that was golden and crisp and not the least bit oily. The greens had a light EVO and lemon dressing that complimented the abalone without overwhelming it's delicate flavor. My dinner companion had a crab dish that was everything crab should be. Sweet, buttery, light - heaven on the tongue. The chef surprised us with a special dish that was unique and beautiful. Calamari head caramelized to a deep brown stuffed with rattatoullie and wild rice. Each slice a wonder of texture and flavor.
My main course was pork medallion served with spetzle, and prunes stewed in tea. The sweetness of the prunes mixed with the slightly smoky flavor of the tea beautifully complimented the perfectly prepared pork. With the petite spetzle, finely diced veggies, the prunes so juicy no sauce was needed and a bite of pork on my fork, the implosion of flavors in my mouth had my eyes rolling in my head with joy. Our server was kind enough to pour a few reds for me until I found THE one that best suited my meal.

Our water glasses never went empty. The server was never far away but did not constantly interupt with, "how is everything?", allowing us to have a pleasant conversation during our amazing meal. Empty plates were removed quietly and efficiently. Even though the kitchen is open, there was still a calm industiousness about it. No slamming or shouting, just professionals doing their job with pride and efficacy.

Chef Demont not only knows his way around a kitchen, but how to create an atmosphere to keep his wonderfully inventive, delicious dishes the center of attention. As it should be.

Calgary
“Great Variety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Great menu, lots of choices, good wine list, did not need a reservation, good service, try the gnocchi!!!

Visited July 2012
Los Angeles
“Hip and trendy bistro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

What an amazing find! Oswald is the place to go in Santa Cruz - great food and festive atmosphere (noisy in a good way!). Order off the bar menu for burgers, fried chicken and Caesar's salad with chicken @ very reasonable prices. I also highly recommend the beers - $4 Stella Artois and $5 Guinness!!

The service was great and they have good people watching from the bar area. Go, you will love it!

• Visited June 2012
Aptos, California
“Great Date Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We love to go here. Romantic enough for a date. Reminds us of a New York hot spot. Great food consistently, great full bar with delicious appetizers, and excellent service. Brings a cosmopolitian atmosphere to downtown Santa Cruz. A must for sure!

• Visited April 2012