“Truly relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Berkeley, California
“Truly relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I love this place. It's one of the very few places that I've been where you can have a slow, relaxing meal. I take my daughter here for brunch whenever I'm in town. The food is good. The atmosphere...perfect! (but probably not for everyone, most people might see it as run down)

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“No one waited on us! We were there for almost 30 minutes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Never felt more ignored at any restaurant! Made a point of going to this restaurant while in Santa Cruz! very disappointed with the staff, they were awful

Santa Cruz, California
“Great food, unique atmosphere, hit-or-miss service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The 515 has consistently excellent food, for bunch, lunch, dinner and late night snacks. Great in-house biscuits, amazing scrambles, bacon pancakes, mouth-water appetizers and innovative cocktails top the list for food. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable, with lots of different indoor and outdoor seating options. The only problem with this place is that the service is so hit-or-miss that when we actually get a quick and responsive server, we're surprised. But honestly, if you're indulging in any of their many, many cocktails you probably won't even notice the slow-ish service. At the end of your meal, your check comes in a book! Awesome!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Locals hangout shines with shabby chic...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I first visited Santa Cruz in 1975 as a college junior and loved the other-worldliness (somewhat Hobbit-like) nature of the place, and I am happy to report the timeless bubble remains, to some degree. This locale allows one to indulge in adult pleasures and maintain the youthful illusion, all at the same time. There's a lovely upstairs lounge, but my friend and I were enchanted by the evening and sat outside where a warm fake fireplace kept my back toasty while allowing the cool maritime breezes to scent our evening. Great drinks and delicious appetizers were all we needed; if we had stayed any longer, we would have moved inside to the cozy lounge and the friendly bar. So...Banana Joe's grows up and serves the 21+ set.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Carmel, CA
“Locals hangout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Now this really is the kind of place you want to find when you travel. We were there on a Sunday evening and arrived just after 6 PM. We were looking for a drink or two then dinner. We went to the upstairs bar and found a space at the end of a lovely curved bar. Well, lovely isn't exactly the right word. How about quirky and amusing. At any rate, Michael, the bar tender offerd us cocktails. We started with a straight forward gin martini. the locals at the bar let us become involved in their conversations and all had a good time. We then tried the various gin based drinks this establishment prides itself on. What a good time. Yes, I was so glad we could walk back to the hote. Generous pours and very reasonable prices. This is a must on a Sunday night. I'm sure it is very busy on Friday and Saturday but that would be fun, too.
We then had dinner on the upstairs deck. We were looking out over Cedar street as the sun set. There is a nice big fire pit on the deck in case it gets cool. The meal was very good, lots of food and a fine finish to the day. Try this place, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Visited April 2012