“Nice place, very close to Boardwalk” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, OR
“Nice place, very close to Boardwalk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in early August and found it to be quite nice and relatively decent value, considering the area, high season,and extreme close proximity to Boardwalk. The clerk called me about 4pm to ask when I would be arriving. Upon my arrival, he was very friendly and had actually reserved a parking spot for me, something that was unexpected and very much appreciated! The room itself was of course basic but very clean and nicely decorated for a 2-star hotel. The wi-fi worked great on all 3 of my devices. There were also 4 pillows on each bed (2 soft and 2 firm), which was a very nice surprise and something not found at even most 3 star hotels.

Probably the biggest benefit of this hotel is its close proximity to the Boardwalk. It is I believe the closest hotel, being just 1.5 short blocks to the main entrance. This was quite convenient as it allows pretty much anyone to walk there easily and save money and the hassle of parking in a lot or on the streets.

As to the complaints of people like the review below mine, you really need to do some comparisons before rating a place down for things like price, parking, etc. The fact is that there are NO cheap places in Santa Cruz in the summer, unless you are willing to stay in a "roach motel". Also, the closer you are the to the Boardwalk, of course you are going to pay a premium. Likewise, the parking situation is tight at all hotels in this area, so rating a place down for tight parking seems a bit ludicrous to me. Now yes, if you ignore all these mitigating factors, it can seem a bit crazy to pay $190 for a room in a 2-star hotel, but you cannot logically ignore these factors since they are what drives price in this industry. I did extensive research on hotels in this area and this was one of the least expensive ones with decent reviews.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Paid an arm and a leg, but chose to stay here because of the many positive reviews and its close proximity to the boardwalk. It was ok, but I expected more for what I paid. It's a standard motel that's not awful but not great either.

The parking lot is cramped and tiny, and you'll have to valet your keys if you arrive when the lot is full. If you arrive after hours, then you'll have to park in the street. The "pool" is super tiny, and they should just clear it and create a few more parking spaces.

It's a sufficient motel but not worth the 4/5 rating and definitely not worth the price. Sorry TripAdvisor you were off the mark on this one.

Stayed August 2014
Lemoore, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is the second we stayed here in the past six months. We reserved two rooms and got them side by side, which was great. This hotel is straight up the street from the boardwalk about 1.5 blocks. The staff is extremely courteous, check-in is easy, adequate parking and the complimentary breakfast of waffles, eggs, sausage and assorted fruits and pastries worked great for us. Rooms aren't 5 star, but this isn't the Ritz Carlton, either. It may seem a little pricey, but look at the location and high season. We'll stay again.

Room Tip: All rooms seem similar. We stayed on the second floor the first time and the ground floor the secon...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Walldorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for night on our trip around the bay area and liked it. The gentleman behind the counter was friendly when we walked in and our room was fine. Good large bed and it was clean. Breakfast was included, it was pretty much the standard fare.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Vacaville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The staff at the Comfort Inn are very rude, and lazy. In the room my kids were staying in the heater was putting out a horrible smell. I called the office and told them about it and they told me it was normal. I then asked for an extra blankets for my kids and got an attitude from them. I did not understand why getting an extra blanket would cause so much trouble. I am home now and when I went to check my bank account I noticed the hotel charged me an additional $30. So far every time I try to find out why I have this charge I get put on hold, and no one comes to the phone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
prince926, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. If you turn on heater in summer it always smells for few minutes because it has not been used in summer for a long time. That's why we said it's normal and another thing about balnkets, as per your request we had provided two balnkets and if you wanted more you should have asked us and we would have gladly provided more.

Extra $30.00 charge was for the dirty stains on towels which you had used for cleaning spilled coffee.You should not use clean towels to wipe your mess, if you would have asked for rags we would've provided it to you.

kirti patel
Manager
Comfort Inn
831-471-9999
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

This place was walking distance to beach and boardwalk. Rooms are small, but clean. Place is older, but well kept. Pool is small, but clean. Good value for this place. Breakfast was coffee and Danish. Staff was all very friendly, evening when we arrived and morning to check out. I would stay again here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I took my two boys on a surprise trip to Santa Cruz. I am a avid researcher when it comes to where to stay. The reviews plus price/location added up for me (and Excel) for this Comfort Inn.

When we arrived I could not figure out where to park. There was simply no place. The owner came out and showed me where I could (illegally) park. Um. OK.

The room was reserved and the lobby was very clean. The staff was helpful and kind. We got to the room and it was standard, newly remodeled. Granite counter tops, tiled bathroom, flat screen TV. Very comfortable beds. Both firm and soft pillows. Very clean. No dresser though, just a laminate bookcase. Good closet space.

The boardwalk is 2 blocks away. There are two convience stores along the way that sell everything.

We slept very well that night, the curtains were not quite dark enough, there are blackout shades, but they let in light. So I used one of the pants hangers to clip the half thick drapes shut. It was very dark after that. We all slept so well.

Breakfast was mediocre. Good fresh fruit. Good typical waffles (also blueberry offered), toast, coffee (only half and half offered). The eggs were á la Egg McMuffin. Circular with yolk intact inside. Ugh. The sausage was slimy and inedible. Juice was OK, cereal was not stale and good yogurt selection.

Water pressure was phenomenonal, shallow tub, unusable for an adult soak. Their shampoo was like water. Bring your own. Towels were huge, fluffy and adequate.

Checking out was a snap. Staff was very friendly throughout and asked me to review here. Would stay here again for sure. I actually drove around and checked out the other motels that were similarly priced and ugh, I would be weary of them. Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area? Share your experiences!