“One of the Grossest Places I have EVER stayed!” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Certificate of Excellence 2014
USA
“One of the Grossest Places I have EVER stayed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

This place is just gross, gross, gross!

We had 3 people in my party, and we paid nearly $300 for a room that was very tight. It was supposedly called a suite. There was a room that had a small couch and a very tiny television in it as you walked in.

As you walk into the next room, you come into a room that barely fits two double beds. Barely! The next room had a the unkempt bathroom.

The room was shorn and just not up to par for a 2 star hotel, where one would expect the room would be simple and clean. When I stepped into the shower, I wondered why there were black marks all over the tub. After I kept moving my feet I realized that my feet were doing this. Basically, the floors in the room are so dirty that if you step on the floor, your feet turn pitch black! It was absolutely disgusting.

There is also a huge parking problem there, and it is not comfortable giving your keys over to the front desk person.

Even the main room, where the have breakfast is gross. I was looking for a newspaper, and there was food stuck to the glass table, which was stuck to the newspaper as well.

There is not one good thing about this motel. I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Disgustingly dirty, even the main lobby area is gross.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Memphis, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Not impressed with Santa Cruz, the Boardwalk or the hotel. If you are there to visit the Boardwalk the best thing is you are within walking distance. Parking at the hotel is limited and narrow, tight spots.

The bottom line is all the hotels in that area are old and in need of major updates but given the short season would not expect they can afford to do so. We had a King Suite with a fold out in the Suite area. Unfortunately the fold out couch was very uncomfortable, no separate air conditioning or TV so really no way to shut the door between the two rooms to afford anyone privacy. To say this is a suite is a major overstatement.

Breakfast is basic and not much to get excited about. Pool is so small only small children could enjoy. Overall, property was way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

i had been there directly....i was there bye watching the NAME - COMFORT INN and reputation of comfort inn all over in US.
it was the worst experience ever i have faced. Receptionist was so rude. There was nothing like room service. Parking slots is also worst. breakfast was also not much impressive.
i am sorry that i have to give minimum rating 1. o/w i would have given in -Ve.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2007

Stopped of during our travels at Santa Cruz having not been able to book in advance at a hostel due to being fully booked. This was the first hotel we came to and looked good so we booked. Got a double bed each and it was good value. Comfortable, clean, and well air con was working fine. Walked the pleasant 10 minute walk to the boardwalk and the evening was spent on the main drag which is cool. Overall the hotel served a purpose and we were not unhappy.

• Liked — Location pretty good
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
las vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

Booked directly from the hotel website and from the reviews on trip advisor. Arrived late after spending the day in San Francisco.
Was greeted by a front office attendent who apprently lacked the ability to smile or evoke any degree attempting to be welcoming.
She looked up my reservation, had me fill out the registration slip, took my CC and gave me the room cards. All without smiling or saying not a word. When I asked her if there any restaurants close by or a market..She directed me a map and point down the street.
The room was clean, however somewhat small, but for 1 nites stay it was fine. The high point was the bed..was a nice firm pillow top mattress, very comfortable. Sheets were fresh and bed appeared to have been changed. As a matter of practice when I enter a room I immediately tear down the bed to check. They offer a continental breakfast,(fruit/belguin waffle-toast/juice/coffee
-tea).
My issue is not with room but with the management, if they could
take a bit more interest in their customers and service, this would be a really nice place to spend a day or so. On a scale of
1-10 (10 being best) this would rate a 4.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — office staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Citrus Heights, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

I can't actually say we stayed in our room, because there was absolutely no place to park our car - not in the tiny lot, and not on any nearby street! Unless, of course, I thought it was a good idea to give my car keys to the desk clerk to move the car out of the driveway when necessary. And when I declined to give the desk clerk my keys, and thus had no choice but to decline to register in our room, Expedia decided that I STILL owed them $250 for the room for that night!

And now Expedia has sicced a collection agency on us, trying to collect the $250 which I refuse to pay, since Comfort Inn did not meet their part of the implied contract - they, and Expedia - both show no-extra-charge "outside parking" as a hotel feature.

Don't assume that Expedia is on your side - and don't go to the Comfort Inn, Beach-Boardwalk Area, Santa Cruz, CA expecting to have a parking place. I suppose if you're "thumbing" that is not going to be a problem. Otherwise, THUMBS DOWN on both Comfort Inn and Expedia!

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — NO PARKING!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Beautiful Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

This hotel was a great place to stay for our family while my husband was at a conference in Capitola. The kids and I walked to the beach everyday and had fun on the Boardwalk. We were able to walk downtown and the surrounding area around the hotel was fine. Other reviewers said it was awful but we had no problems, everyone was super friendly and the hotel staff were great. We had awesome tacos at the many local taquerias in the area and overall I would probably stay here again as it was not too pricey considering this is a beach area in summer! Marini's on the boardwalk, the wharf and in the arcade area of the boardwalk has good coffee and yummy treats.

• Liked — close to beach and food for kids
  • Disliked — no terrace or patio area and the pool was SMALL
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area? Share your experiences!