“Decent hotel / good price” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Los Angeles, CA
“Decent hotel / good price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have mixed feelings. For the area, I think this place is a good choice. But the area is kind of not so great. I wish I had looked into staying in Capitola or Aptos instead because the street where most of these hotels are, is rather dumpy. I was glad it got much nicer of an area once we got to West Cliff Drive / Wharf areas. When we first arrived, we sort of wondered about the town overall.

My biggest suggestion for this hotel is if you offer a fridge, don't have it unplugged before guests arrive. They're actually quite big and by the time ours cooled off, any food we brought with us had to be thrown away. I was depending on being able to use it, yet it took about 10 hours to get cold. (Ours also was missing some stripping so I'm sure that contributed to the problem as the cool air probably kept escaping. Eventually it worked. But having it unplugged is just bad policy, especially since it's not a completely mini fridge and guests may want to bring stuff with them that they'd like to keep cold immediately. I had so diligently kept food and drinks and sandwiches on ice all day and it was a wasted effort.)

As to breakfast, loved the waffle maker. But they only have hard boiled eggs, no other hot breakfast items like other Quality Inns I've been in. So it's like carb overload! They even have a picture of scrambled eggs and bacon in the breakfast bar... that doesn't help! :)

The staff here was very nice. The room was clean (though even though we had a non smoking room, you can still smell smoke. Keep that in mind if that's a problem for you.) The only real noise we heard was the very loud plumbing of other neighbors. Otherwise, it was pretty quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Much better than expected for the price. I had room 222.

It was spacious and had all the extras: coffee, fridge, microwave, Heater and I was pleased to find a flatscreen TV with HBO. No comedy central though.

Breakfast was good enough. Cereal, coffee, juice, waffle iron, toast.

• Stayed March 2013
Orangevale, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We come to Santa Cruz very often because we have a son who is attending the university in town. We are pleasantly surprised by the value, the size of our kind-bed room, and the price is inexpensive. We arrived at late evening the lady at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The hotel rooms are located at the back, and far away from the main street, so a good night sleep is ensured.The breakfast was adequate, more than just a continental breakfast as advertised. The breakfast room was bright and clean. Owner is very friendly. We definitely will stay here again next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Good spot on Ocean st just off the highway. Great if you're just getting into town ir if you gotta leave right away in the morning. If you're arriving late expect to have to ring the night time buzzer as the front desk isn't open all the time. Luckily the manager didn't appear to be all tired and grumpy when we checked in at 2am. Rooms were average size. Beds had 4 pillows on each. Had to leave early so i didn't get as much sleep as i would have liked, but I slept like a rock and felt pretty well rested on a short sleep. No complaints about this place.

• Stayed December 2012
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This past weekend was my 3rd time statying at this hotel. On each visit the staff has been friendly, the room clean and orderly and all appliances working. The bed was turned down when we walked into the room making it feel warm and welcoming. It was a cool evening and the heater worked great. Our bed was comfortable and they provided enough pillows for a restful night s sleep. The breakfast was ok. Nothing out of the ordinary.....a few bread choices for toast, pastries, yogurt, cereal and fresh fruit and juice. The coffe was good, but I would have liked to see have seen some flavored coffee creamer ( but that's just me). The one thing we did enjoy was being able to make a fresh, "home made" waffle. It was enough to hold us over until lunch. I had origianlly booked another hotel up the street because it was less expensive. After reading further reviews on the less expenisve hotel I decided to cancel and book with Quaility Inn. It was a few buck more, but well worth it. I would highly recommend Quailty in, Santa Cruz if you're looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Were pleasantly surprised by our stay here. It was the cheapest place we stayed at during our vacation and was comfortable and better value than some other places we stayed in California. Room was clean and comfortable and had very nice amenities for the price (internet access, fridge, microwave, good TV). Beds were comfortable, towels nice, shower good. Breakfast was included and was above average - only drawback was there are only a few chairs and you are discouraged from taking the food back to your room and pool area was a little chilly to sit in first thing in the morning. Staff were friendly and very helpful and clearly proud of their hotel and making an effort to keep it nice. Hotel pool was clean and nice and warm and our kids loved it. Only minor issues were tap in bathroom sink was hard to turn on so our kids always needed our help and we could hear some noise from outside/other rooms sometimes. Location is very convenient for driving - near town but also near highway - and was a 10-15 min walk to Pacific Ave. Also had a laundry around the corner which was helpful for us. Maybe a 4.5 stars for me - overall I'd recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Me and my wife traveled to Santa Cruz for a min-vacation. We checked in, and the front desk staff was extremely kind and helpful. When we got to the room, it was very clean and smelled fresh. The bed was comfortable and I had a great sleep both nights.It was close to the downtown area, When I left, I felt like I had gotten a great value for the money I spent here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!