“Loved this place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Cape Canaveral, Florida
“Loved this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stopped here on part of a road trip from Vancouver down the coastline all the way to Anaheim. Some of these reviews seem a bit harsh, I thought the hotel was very pleasant. The location is great, especially if you want to get to the pier. They have a shuttle that will run there quite often.

The rooms were large, which was important as we had a group of 5. I thought the layout worked well for us and while we had an interior room, I didn't at all get a trapped feeling. The amenities were nice, the gym had a few machines but seemed to be well maintained, and the jacuzzi and sauna were nice and relaxing after a long day of driving! It's also very close to a nice downtown area with restaurants and shops (including Trader Joe's) so we liked that feature as well.

The best part (but really) was that there was free breakfast! This was a great feature considering we had a group of college aged kids with us. Everyone could wake up at their leisure and mosey down to the lobby to grab some grub. Overall great stay and had just what we needed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
BWAS95060, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you so much for your awesome review! I’m so happy to hear that you had such a great time. Being an all suites property, our rooms are quite large and great for giving everyone in the party some room to stretch out. I’m glad to hear that you liked your room, and that the hot-tub and sauna helped you relax after a long day of traveling.
The Trolley from Downtown Santa Cruz to the Santa Cruz Wharf is a fantastic resource for our guests, being only about a 5-10 minute walk away, and at $0.25/person, the price can’t be beat! The breakfast is also a really great amenity saving you a lot of time and money, and letting everyone wake up at whatever time is best for them and still have something to eat as soon as they’re up. We hope to see you again soon!

Cindy McDonald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Camarillo, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

Room is dark and depressing. And we had an upgrade. We had two skylights in the room and it was still a cave. Has a grunge factor to the place. People were nice at the front desk but there is a definite hostel feeling to this place. The gym is only open at 9 am unless the guests that share a common wall have checked out early. One of the worst hotels I have stayed in for a while. To be fair, this was my first time in Santa Cruz and I was expecting more quaintness. That said, if I was 23 this place would be perfect. At 47, not so much. Skip it unless you are used to dorm or prison life.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade which should put you into a less than average room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I am so sorry you felt your room was like a dungeon. It seems like you must have received one of our interior rooms. While these rooms do not get any natural light, they are perfect for people who want a quiet room away from the street. The interior rooms are ideal for daytime sleepers, light sleepers who don’t like traffic noise, or people who like the security of not having any windows to the exterior of the property such as single women traveling alone or with small children. I wish you had reported your dissatisfaction while you were here so that we could have moved you to another room with exterior windows. Please feel free to contact me directly at any time if you wish to further discuss your stay, or any future stays. You can reach me at cindy.mcdonald@bprproperties.com or by phone at 831-458-9898.

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We loved Santa Cruz and this hotel is located centrally and easy to get to all the attractions we wanted to see. We used the hotel as a base to explore local attractions as well as day trips to Monterey and San Fran. Good hotel with excellent rooms and staff. We will stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWAS95060, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for your review! Our location is ideal as a central base for people wanting to explore the Bay Area. With San Francisco only about 2 hours north, and Monterey only about an hour south, we are in the perfect city to spend your evenings as your spend your days seeing all of the nearby sights. I’m glad to hear you’ll be joining us again. See you soon!

Sacramento, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed in a two room suite. The carpet needs to be replaced. Drawers don't open and close very well. The t.v. stand is designed for a tube t.v. that is not present but has a flat screen on top; the empty hole for the tube t.v. looked ugly. The ventilation is designed to move air from one room to the next and isn't very effective.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. I will forward your comments to ownership so that we can look into replacing the carpets and entertainment centers. If you want to contact me and let me know what room you were in, I will have my maintenance department check on the ventilation system, and I thank you for bringing this to my attention! You can reach me anytime at cindy.mcdonald@bprproperties.com or by phone at 831-458-9898.

Rancho Cordova, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This Best Western Plus All Suites Inn was pretty nice, check in was quick and the front desk clerk was friendly. Most Best Western charge a holding deposit for incidentals so just be aware that this property will hold a charge of $50 on your credit card, not a big deal for us. The room we got was two beds and a sofa bed, the room was large and accommodated two adults and two teenagers. this room was on the second floor and had a microwave, fridge, coffee/tea maker, two flat screen TV's, cups..ex... The beds were comfortable and for the most part the room satisfied us well. The parking is free; which is a plus and like some of the reviews, the parking stalls are very small, but parking is free. The breakfast each morning was great, usually from 6:30AM to 9:30AM, they usually have: eggs, sausage or bacon, yogurt, boiled eggs, toast, muffins, waffles, assorted cereals, oat meal, fruits, orange juice, cranberry juice, coffee, tea, milk, hot chocolate, so it was pretty nice of this hotel to offer breakfast.

They also offer free wifi which worked just fine, they also had free coffee and tea though out the day.

The only issue we had with our room happened at about 1AM when the air conditioning unit started to make a very weird noise then shut off. When I got up to look at it I noticed some ice coming out of the unit, I went down to the front desk and informed them of the issue and asked for two fans for the room, they were very quick in acknowledge the issue and gave us the fans right away and asked me if I wanted a maintenance person to come and look at the air conditioning. Since it was very late and the kids were asleep I declined; later that night the air conditioning did come back on.

For the most part, this Best Western was wonderful for us, Staff was friendly and the location to the Boardwalk is within a two minute drive, or walking is you wish. We will stay at this property again and would recommend this Best Western to other.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Goodness, thank you so much for this amazing and detailed review. I really appreciate your sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community! I’m glad to hear that we had everything you needed to make sure your family had an amazing experience, and that although you had a problem, we took care of you quickly and efficiently. We hope to see you and your family again soon!

FREMONT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed in a room just opposite the check-in desk...very quiet at breakfast time even though the breakfast tables were also opposite our room.

The room had two parts, living area and bed area which was the furthest from the door so we didn't hear the breakfast people. There was one VERY LOUD noise while the upstairs people took a shower. It was a shocking, LOUD roaring against the wall and fortunately the folks all took their showers around 10 P.M. while we were still awake. I was surprised at such a loud noise in the wall, not in the ceiling.....poor plumbing construction. It would have been a problem had they been 6 A.M. bathers.

Room was spacious and clean. Parking was with very tight spaces so hope that someone doesn't ding your door opening theirs !!

Important to know this hotel is 1.18 miles from the entrance to the boardwalk so a long walk if you come with small children. I saw in another review that this BW provides tokens for transportation there. Not a concern for us as we were not there for the boardwalk. I have read multiple reviews about safety concerns walking in some areas by the boardwalk so caution to those walking the mile and a quarter, especially in the dark.

Breakfast really well done...eggs better than the average hotel powder eggs.....good orange juice and nice waffles among other things like hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, toast, muffins. Good job !

As usual we were pleased with BW quality and are frequent BW visitors. Would not want the same room, though, due to the roaring shower issue.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
BWAS95060, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
WOW! Thank you for leaving such a detailed and lovely review of our property! I'm sorry that you had noise from the upstairs units showering, and I will check with my maintenance staff to see if there is anything that can be done to ease that noise frustration.
I appreciate your sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. The trolley to the beach and Boardwalk is a very quick 5 minute walk away, and definitely more advisable than making the walk all the way to the Wharf.
Our breakfast is one of my favorite aspects of our hotel. With waffle irons to make your own waffles, lots of choices, and freshly cooked Glenview Farms eggs which come to us in liquid form. They're definitely a lot tastier than any powdered eggs I have ever had.
We hope you will come to see us again soon, make sure you call us ahead of time and request a quiet room on the top floor so that you don't have to hear your upstairs neighbors showering.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

The staff was super friendly & helpful. Our door lock needed the batteries changed before we could check in. Clara the desk clerk worked with the maintenance man to get us into our room with in 15 minutes. My only complaint would be the street noise which can't be controlled by the hotel. We just turned on the room fan when we went to bed & it took care of that. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast, but did sample the coffee which was ok. I feel it was a little pricey but our $157 a night in Aug for a large room within walking distance of downtown wasn't too bad since I overhead someone else say they were paying $185. Parking was awesome & free as a bonus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
Thanks so much for your awesome review! Clara really is a great asset to our team, and I will make sure to share your kind comments with her as soon as I see her. I'm glad to hear that you found a way to help with the street noise, next time you stay make sure to ask for a room off the street and we'll be happy to try to get you into one of our rooms which overlooks the residential neighborhood behind our property. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get your next reservations all set. You can reach me at any time at cindy.mcdonald@bprproperties.com or by phone at 831-458-9898. We hope to see you again soon!