“Needs a makeover” 3 of 5 stars

Stay 2 & Earn a Reward
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“Needs a makeover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

They need to update it. They have a huge atrium window that let in lots of light & heat, but not enough air flow in hallways--very stuffy. The first floor area had dirty & torn chairs in the common area. Breakfast was processed eggs, cereal, waffles--not much fruit. The beds & pillows were in need of replacement. The bathroom smelled. Loud bathroom fan & in room air conditioner. TV had a pixel issue. Expensive for what we got.

• Stayed June 2013
LGoldstein95060, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear your stay wasn’t perfect, and will look into the issues you experienced in the room to ensure they do not reoccur in the future. We are in the planning stages of doing a major remodel and will complete a large amount by February of next year. We hope you will come back and give us another try so you can see all of the great things we have done!

Lacey Goldstein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just a quick outta town getta way made very special by this large, super clean, quiet, well decorated three room Deluxe suite & doors separate each room NICE! (room 230) w/ two separate bathrooms (for us that's his & hers, NICE!!), a living room 'with flat screen t.v., Jacuzzi room with marble & glass shower, wich also has the second bathroom but with a door to separate it from the Jacuzzi room, privacy EXTRA NICE!!! Spacious bedroom with very comfortable king sized bed , soft pillows and nice linens & 2nd flat screen t.v. Great value (managers special 175.00 Sunday check in) beat all my expectations, complimentary breakfast was delicious. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is close by, we walked(20 minutes) and saved on parking. We will make this trip again to stay here the room was the highlight of our trip!!!.

• Stayed June 2013
LGoldstein95060, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. Our deluxe king suites truly are amazing, and 230 is my absolute favorite room. Glad we could make your out of town get away that much more special, hope to see you again soon!

Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went up to Northern California for Spring Break with three other friends, stayed at three hotels and this one was the best. The room was very spacious and clean. There were two queen size beds, a living room, wifi access, and the basics.

The location just blocks away from downtown and the pier, you can walk or take the bus.

I'm now staying in Best Western whenever I go traveling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
LGoldstein95060, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review, and deeming our hotel “The Best” from your recent vacation. We hope to see you next time you are in the Santa Cruz area.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a wedding in the area. After being there for awhile, we realized we had stayed there years before when there was a pool where the breakfast is now located....The hotel is within a short drive to the boardwalk, the wharf and the downtown area. Yes, it's on a corner of a busy street but not that bad. Our room was more on the side so we didn't have street noise....Has a typical air conditioner unit in room, which is either going to mask the street noise or become the noise that wakes you...

I don't get why people complain about the parking garage - it's free!...If you were in the big city, you would be paying $50 a night...yes, the parking is a bit tight, and I have a small car, so you are going to have a problem trying to fit into a spot with a larger vehicle when garage is already close to full....

In terms of breakfast, I think the continental breakfast at this hotel was very good. Again, don't understand why people complain, when most complimentary continental breakfasts provide way more than most people would ordinarily have everyday at home. I don't know if they have eggs every day, but on Saturday it was bacon & scrambled eggs & Sunday it was eggs & sausage....Several bread choices, bagels & english muffins and mini muffins...I was happy that they had bananas along with the apples & oranges...Orange juice tasted great & you could make your own waffles as well...It's all you can eat & again, it's complimentary......There are also 2 or 3 restaurants across the street and a little minimart at the gas station on the corner if you want to walk to dinner or need to pick up some snacks and beverages.

I had some trepidation after reading some of the recent negative reviews right before our arrival, but was really pleasantly surprised.......Our room was spacious and clean....We didn't have very much interaction with staff, but appreciated those who I passed in hallway always had a smile and said hello...I will say the one thing I found annoying was no guest directory in the room...I have seen this mentioned by others in regard to the television channels...Since there was no guest directory I went to front desk for a listing of the channels and was handed a list that doesn't match. That's an easy fix in my opinion - type a new list!.....That's really my only complaint - I would definitely stay there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
LGoldstein95060, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent extensive review of our hotel. I appreciate your feedback, and want you to know we have updated our guest directories, and ordered new ones for all the rooms. We hope your travels bring you back to the Santa Cruz and we can see you again!

WA state
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I recommend avoiding this property. First, It is located between two very busy streets so expect to hear noise unless you are a heavy sleeper. Second, the "remodeling" done is all superficial. The mattress was awful, the air conditioning/heat unit did not work properly and the fan was so noisy it kept waking us up. When I told the agent at the desk when checking out, she just said she'd let maintenance know and that the fans did "blow." Third, the room did not feel clean. Fourth, no luggage carts were available even though the property has many rooms and the garage is a trek from any room. The person at the front desk said there were carts but made no attempt to find any. My husband walked through every floor and saw none. We were on a three week driving trip and a luggage cart would have helped. The reviewer who criticized the garage was right. Dark, open to the street. Potentially dangerous. I had to ask two male employees to help get the door from the motel to the garage open in the morning because it was so badly stuck. Fifth, there was only one person at the desk checking in about six or seven travelers at around 7 p.m. The wait was very long to finally get checked in and then we were presented with the surprise that $100 for "incidentals" would be authorized from our credit card. And, we had to sign a paper allowing this special authorization. When I protested the clerk was able to get the manager to agree to $50. But, for what? If it hadn't been so late at this point, we would have found another place to stay. In my many years of travel, four and five star hotels in major cities added an incidental charge when you checked in, but then the expectation was you would breakfast in the dining room, use the minibar, rent a movie. Not true about the the All Suites Inn. Breakfast was included, no minibar, no other way to buy something. When I mentioned on the Best Western survey that I considered this an outrageous practice, I received a reply from the manager, Mercedes Vega, who said, "if you did not know each Best Western is independently owned and operated so that sounds like quite a deal for a $20 incidentals hold for the entire stay." Her response was to my comment that other Best Western properties, including one we stayed in for more than a week, authorized only $20 for the entire stay. I'm not sure when this practice began of putting a hold on your credit card for more than the room stay, but I resent the principle of a property doing this. We stayed in La Quintas on the trip and it was not done by this chain. What I suggested on the Best Western survey is that the listing on the web for the All Suites Inn should plainly say that $100 will be authorized on your credit card. Even if there had been no authorization, this property was one of the worst we have stayed in. Shook our confidence in Best Westerns. And, this one had been designated a Plus!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LGoldstein95060, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our hotel. I’m sorry to hear you did not enjoy our hotel during your recent stay with us. I will forward on your concerns to the ownership of our hotel regarding our policies and procedures of the $100 incidental hold, and will do my best to ask the Best Western Website to display deposit policies more clearly. Thank you for your suggestions, and feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional concerns at lgoldstein@bprproperties.com.

Pomona, California, Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

First off the staff is pretty bad. When we arrived at the hotel, we had to wait 10 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. The girl checking us in was nice, but I think that they might be understaffed. It is a small hotel with seemingly all the rooms on top of one another. Their courtyard is very small and the rooms spill into the courtyard. One room is directly in front of the front desk another in front of the beverage machine. The staff working the breakfast is nice and helpful. Now back to my room. When I opened the door to my room, it was hot and the air was stale, it seemed as if though the room had not been used for a while. I immediately went to not only crack the window open (it was missing the screen to it so bugs would come in.), but the ac unit did not work. I immediately notified the front desk and they tried to make it work, but could not. Keep in mind that they knew my ac unit was out, maintenance was there the next morning, but did not go up to my room. When I came back from seeing the sites, I asked the front desk if they had checked the ac unit in my room, she said she had no Idea it was messed up. I was like really? She said yes you should have told us when maintenance was here, I said I told you, last night, she replied you didn't tell me because I was not here last night. I said look I told the other girl (gave her name) and she said she would notify the morning shift about it. Sure enough the report was there. And she was arguing with me? Right or wrong she should not be acting that way. She sent a security guard to my room to check the ac unit. I asked him, do you know how to fix the ac units? He said i have no idea, I don't know why she sent me up here. I said ok thank you. He then gave mebthe supervisors name, I left again, and when I came back we decided to stay in the room with my 7 year old niece and play a board game. At ones point she made a good move and jumped in excitement. Minutes later the security guard comes up and asks what we r doing. I'm like why do you ask? He says I got a complaint that you are being loud. I said could you hear us? He said no. I said ok so now we can't even play a game in our own room? He said yes but keep it down. I said we are not making any noise, and I mentioned my niece jumping because she was excited. He said tell her not to jump anymore. I said look she is a kid and kids tend to get excited, she is not being loud, she is not yelling or screaming, she Isn't running she simply

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your review. I am so sorry to hear of all of the issues you experienced while staying with us, and will be reviewing your comments with my entire team. Please feel free to contact me directly at lgoldstein@bprproperties.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

People who say this is the best hotel they've ever stayed in must not get out much. It was fine but hardly spectacular. The parking area is open and as another reviewer said, anyone can walk into a covered and "hidden" space and not be seen. The first room we were given had a window that opened onto a wall that was perhaps 3 feet (1 meter) away. NO VIEW of anything. We asked for another room and after a bit of hmmm, hmmm, the desk clerk gave us a room overlooking the street. He did advise that there was street noise, but that really wasn't a problem. However, the window was quite dirty. The room itself was fine, basic, large, sofa, sitting area. The layout of the hotel with a large atrium open to light where breakfast is served was pleasant. Breakfast was what one expects in a "free" hotel breakfast. Dry cereal, a waffle iron, eggs, bacon, sausage, muffins. Not bad but having stayed at many hotels in Europe where breakfast is standard and usually lavish, this was quite ordinary. The price was right. We were visiting my wife's sister and just needed a place to lay our heads.

Room Tip: Avoid a room facing the wall, and avoid the first floor facing the breakfast area.