“Acceptable and a little more than basic” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Nova Scotia
“Acceptable and a little more than basic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

People who say this is the best hotel they've ever stayed in must not get out much. It was fine but hardly spectacular. The parking area is open and as another reviewer said, anyone can walk into a covered and "hidden" space and not be seen. The first room we were given had a window that opened onto a wall that was perhaps 3 feet (1 meter) away. NO VIEW of anything. We asked for another room and after a bit of hmmm, hmmm, the desk clerk gave us a room overlooking the street. He did advise that there was street noise, but that really wasn't a problem. However, the window was quite dirty. The room itself was fine, basic, large, sofa, sitting area. The layout of the hotel with a large atrium open to light where breakfast is served was pleasant. Breakfast was what one expects in a "free" hotel breakfast. Dry cereal, a waffle iron, eggs, bacon, sausage, muffins. Not bad but having stayed at many hotels in Europe where breakfast is standard and usually lavish, this was quite ordinary. The price was right. We were visiting my wife's sister and just needed a place to lay our heads.

Room Tip: Avoid a room facing the wall, and avoid the first floor facing the breakfast area.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
LGoldstein95060, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear you did not like your first room, and am glad we were able to move you to a more suitable room for your needs. European breakfast sounds nice, maybe I need to plan a trip to see what we are up against!

Lacey Goldstein

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just about completed a 3 week visit to the USA and Canada I must say that the best western suites in Santa Cruz was the best accommodation that we used on the whole trip Great room friendly and helpful staff excellent location and a magnificent breakfast to top it off I would definitely return and would recommend it highly to fellow travellers.

• Stayed April 2013
I am so happy to hear we were your FAVORITE hotel on your trip! I will be sure to share your kind words with my entire team. We hope your travels can bring you back to our hotel soon!

Kutztown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were greeted by a friendly staff. Our request for a non street side room was honored. The center atrium is bright and clean as was our suite. Great breakfast in the morning after a quiet nights sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the facilities, the amenities and the staff! We hope to see you next time your travels bring you to the Santa Cruz area.

Rancho Palos Verdes, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for one night while visiting UC Santa Cruz.
Pros: Woman on phone when booking was very very helpful.
Rooms are large and fairly clean
Decent breakfast
Priced well

Cons:
1. As a single woman traveling with a teenage daughter, I thought the area was a little iffy (at night). My main complaint is the partking garage is not secure. Anyone off the street can enter the garage, access the elevator, travel up to any of the floors and enter the hallways (which have no security door) completely bypassing the lobby and perhaps a watchful eye. I overheard the front desk person tell another guest that there was security in the parking garage all night; perhaps there was, but I was in and out of the garage between 7:00 p.m. and 11:00 and saw no security. I did however see a strange man sitting in his car for all those hours perhaps conducting business (based on observing him). He was also there when I left in the morning. Very odd.
2. The hairdryer in our room didn't work. Went to the front desk to ask for a replacement and they didn't have one. Absurd. Electrical items break all the time; to not have a replacement hair dryer is inexcusable. For this reason alone, I won't stay here again. They also didn't have a bottle opener, nor a table knife to slice a piece of fruit both of which I asked to use during my stay.
3. The parking is terrible. Very small spaces, many of which are for compact cars only. This caused guests with larger cars to take up two spaces, or take up a portion of the space next to them, which left very little room for another car to squeeze in. As I said before, there appeared to be a man conducting business and spending the night in his car.
4. Two TV's in the room, which is nice, but the one in front of the beds is very small and not flat screen. Not a big deal to me as I don't watch much TV, but I found the setup odd and have attached a picture.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the first floor near the lobby. That is where breakfast is served and it will...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your detailed review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear your concerns with our parking garage, but we do have security on shift at night to monitor the hotel and garage area. I am sorry we were unable to provide you with a knife and bottle opener, but as a limited service hotel we do not have a full kitchen on premises that contains these items. I will look into stocking these items for future guests who request these items, and appreciate your suggestion. We are currently in the process of replacing all TV’s in the hotel to 40” Flat screens and replaced one in each room and will switch out the second by next month. Again, Thank you for your time and suggestions to help us improve our hotel for future guests.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is great. I paid a very reasonable price and was treated like I was a guest at a fancy hotel. The manager, Mercedes, was so helpful. I told her ahead of time that I had allergies and she had the rugs and upholstery cleaned. The room is actually a small apartment with a living room, two tvs etc. Everything is clean and modern and not run down at all. It is quiet and has a very nice large outdoor jaquzzi and a work-out room. There is also a substantial breakfast with eggs, waffle maker etc. I definitely think you cannot beat this place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are like apartments. I prefer to stay on the third floor so you don't here people...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
LGoldstein95060, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review. We take pride in the customer service we provide to all of our guests, and are so glad you enjoyed our team, especially Mercedes! I have shared your kind words with my entire team, and hope you will return when your travels bring you back to the Santa Cruz area.