“Good little hotel: complainer way off base.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Santa Cruz

You added Howard Johnson Inn Santa Cruz to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Santa Cruz
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   130 W Cliff Dr, Santa Cruz, CA 95060 (Formerly Ramada Limited Fishermans Wharf)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #32 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California
“Good little hotel: complainer way off base.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We just happened to be checking into this hotel when the complainant was on the phone having the conversation with the front desk about not allowing the 18 year-old daughter to check in. We can attest that the front desk staff, Christina was not being rude but just trying to explain over and over to the caller that policy did not allow an 18 year-old to check in and that there was nothing she could do about that. Christina was polite, did not get angry but the caller was obviously not listening and kept redialing, even apparently threatening to get a lawyer if they didn't get their way. Our sympathies were with the hotel staff. How awful to have to put up with unreasonable guests who seem incapable of understanding standard hotel operating policies.
Our experience of this hotel and staff was all positive. A lovely place to stay at a reasonable price. John and Gill

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Vacaville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked the room on Expedia for my 18yr old daughter. I found out that you had to be 21 to check into this hotel. I called to ask them about it and the lady, Christina, was very rude and hung up on me. I called back and said no problem that since I booked the room and it was non-refundable I said my wife and I would stay in the room and find another place for my daughter. She started yelling at me and said I was trying to scam them and hung up on me again. I called back again and asked to speak to the manager. A male got on the phone and started yelling and cursing at me. He then said that he cancelled my reservation and I would not get my money back. Every time I called back to resolve the issue he would yell at me and hang the phone up.

I ended up getting my money back from Expedia only after he yelled and cursed at the operator from Expedia who was helping me. It's unbelievable that this place even operates and the Expedia uses them. I did speak to one lady at the desk who was nice and apologized for the Managers attitude. Don't ever go this place it is very low class..

Darren

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Willits, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

The Howard Johnson has a great location, but the Continental Breakfast is awful. Terrible coffee, corn flakes, frosted flakes, milk (good), grocery Danish (ugh), Wonder Bread style brown bread, Peter Pan Creamy peanut butter, margarine, apples, a few jams. Period!

The WiFi was fine. We had a view of some of the town. But, the building is very old and there is wood rot. Lots of towels and bathroom supplies. Nice people. But, the breakfast offerings kill it for us. Why pay for breakfast and then have to go out to a restaurant for a decent one?

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room (some are tiny) on the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Looking to re-charge our internal batteries and cleanse ourselves of the day to day drama we chose this property,the Website is very accurate and the "Off the beaten Path" location made it nice yet it was close enough to stroll to our destinations,Probably our favorite part of the property was our own private deck overlooking the Wharf area,we used the Micro to heat some snacks and the Fridge to keep our Adult Beverages cool and enjoyed the view...The staff was both friendly and helpful,property clean and the rooms were small but fit our needs..We'll be back

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the balcony !
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

My family (2 adults and 4 high school/college age kids) stayed here for 2 nights. The location is fantastic - literally across the street from the beach, Fisherman's Wharf, and the Boardwalk.

We had 3 rooms and all were clean and comfortable. No issues with street noise, AC/Heater, or weird smells that other reviewers have reported. It was a perfect beachside motel and even had a deck/patio for each room to sit out and enjoy the ocean view or hang up sandy/wet beach clothes. Ask for a room with an ocean view!

Breakfast was very simple - coffee, tea, oatmeal, cereal, and pastries - but we didn't expect much else from a motel.

Room Tip: AAA discount was substantial; ask for a beach view room that faces the wharf
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

Well, let me list the positives first, in the intrest of trying to have a glass half-full mentality:

It was in a good location, had a nice size room #110, and the jacuzzi tub an unexpected bonus once I bought some bleach and circulated it though the spa system just to make sure it was actually clean.

Now for the negatives:

We asked to see the room before we checked in and the front desk manager gave us a total attitude about it.

We came back and asked if there were other rooms available because we could smell smelled like mildew and was right be a pretty busy road. The manager said there were no other rooms available and that it was a nice room that we should be happy to have since we were using a travel voucher. We were sort of stuck, the voucher was only for this hotel and didn't budget for additional hotel fees so we had to take it.

The room was not well insulated so the VERY loud heater came in constaintly all night long so much so we asked for extra blankets and just slept with the heater off for the next two nights.

When we asked for the extra blankets, it was like I was asking the VERY rude front desk manager for something completely unreasonable. She asked us why we needed them and said "You know there's a heater in there," in a very rude tone. I said the heater had kept us up most of the night because it was so loud, she didn't say anything and handed us one thin, old blanket, I had to ask again for one or two more.

The breakfast as others had mentioned was a bit of a joke unless you thrive off of sugary cereal and danishes in the morning, in which case it was perfect.

Lastly, there was a fridge at the foot of the bed in a cabinet. We thought having the fridge was a bonus and we had bought some groceries so we could save some money. BUT it was REALLY loud which also kept us awake a night too, like it wasn't running properly which was also let the manager know about and she just suggested that we unplug it if it was bothering us.

Their customer service stinks!

• Stayed March 2011
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

This was our first stay at the HoJo in Santa Cruz and we were very pleased. Our first impression was how pretty the grounds were when we pulled into the parking lot. Greeting us as we checked in was a very happy, gracious host. As we were in the check in process, another host greeted us in the reception area and engaged my teen son in coversation about sports. From then on, we were nothing but pleased about our stay.Close to the pier and boardwalk and very quiet. However the beds were the best! Awesome comfort.Will definitely stay there next time we go to S.C. Very pleased that they allowed us to keep our car in their parking lot even after check out, so we could continue to play at the boardwalk.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Santa Cruz? Share your experiences!