“Incredible value and squeaky clean motel steps from a beautiful beach!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunny Cove Motel Apartments

Sunny Cove Motel Apartments
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz
Sunny Cove Motel Apartments
You added Sunny Cove Motel Apartments to your Saves list
21610 E Cliff Dr., Santa Cruz, CA 95062   |
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Brush Prairie, Washington
“Incredible value and squeaky clean motel steps from a beautiful beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Not sure where to begin. First we were pleasantly surprised at how close we were to the beach. You walk less than 100 yards to a beautiful private like beach that is cove. You can swim, relax, and skim board. Jane was a very gracious host. She worked very hard for us when our car ended up in the shop down there, and even gave us a ride to the bus station.
The rooms a very clean and well maintained. Every detail is taken care of. When we arrived we were early for check in. Jane was very apologetic for not having our room ready, even though we were 3 hours early. The beds are comfortable and had extra pillows and blankets, tv's were nice (watched some of the Olympics late at night). Our 2 teenage kids did not want to leave!
If you are travelling to Santa Cruz we would highly recommend Sunny Cove Motel! You will not be disappointed. This is the only place we will stay at when we vacation in Santa Cruz!
We have never experienced anyone like Jane. She is a jem that made the experience that much better. She will bend over backward to make sure your stay is amazing.

• Stayed August 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Deptford, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Sunny Cove is a no-frills type of place, and that starts with booking your room. Everything is done over the phone, there is no way to book anything on-line. Jane is in charge of mostly everything at Sunny Cove and she was very friendly and helpful. The rate during the week is $100 a night and it was $120 for Saturday night for an apt. with 2 double beds. I would recommend this apt. motel to people don't want anything over the top fancy, it was just a simple and clean place to rest your head.

As soon as you opened the door to apt #6 the first double bed was there along with a TV and the dining room/kitchen. Off to the right was a bedroom with another TV (no door to seperate the 2 areas just a wall) and the bathroom. The entire place was very clean, including the bathroom and shower which had great water temp and pressure. We did not use the kitchen to cook anything so I can't comment on the functionality, but the fridge kept our drinks and leftovers cold and there was a microwave and stove as well. I did see some plates, cups and other pots and pans in the cabinets as well. The bedspreads were not great, but one of the first things Jane metioned to me was that she was shopping for new ones.

The location of the motel is right off a well traveled street so we did hear a lot of street noise at night, but it didn't bother me too much. No one uses their horns in Santa Cruz! The upside to the location is that it is right near the beach with a lifeguard, and a great little shopping center that had a fantastic deli and also a dollar store. Two great restaurants (Aloha Grill and Neuvo) were withing walking distance too. They have a pool but it was not heated and freezing cold, it looked clean though. There are also tables and chairs around the pool so we enjoyed our morning coffee and read a paper out there.

Overall we had a great stay at Sunny Cove and for the price you really make out, b/c every other hotel in the area wanted at least $150 or more compared to what we paid to stay here for 3 mights. It isn't particulary close to the boardwalk, so if that is why you are visiting Santa Cruz this might not be the place for you. But if that isn't an issue I would highly recommend Sunny Cove.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the pool or on the side of the motel near the beach, there will be less street n...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

As described by others, this is definitely a funky, family and pet friendly alternative to a chain motel. We wanted a room as a base camp, and that's what we got. Good-sized room with a semi-functional kitchenette (bring your own cooking utensils if you really want to do serious cooking). Unfortunately the refrigerator didn't work very well, but did keep our stuff cool. Best ask if the refir is working before checking in. Some heavier curtains over the windows would have been nice to keep out the morning light, but this wasn't a deal-breaker. Several dog-friendly beaches are within a 5 minute walk, which was great for us. You can see the beach from several rooms, a nice feature indeed. There's also a nice pool area good for kids. They do everything by phone so don't expect the website to help out in this regard. For Santa Cruz, the price, location, and pet-friendliness were right for the day we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a beach view if that's important to you.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011 via mobile

The Fun, Funky, Friendly, Fabulous Sunny Cove Motel.
I've stayed at the Sunny Cove more times then I can count now. I've stayed in probably every room they have, Gone alone, with my mate, with my kids, with my mate & my kids, with my kids & their friends.
No matter what the occasion or company with me, Sunny Cove has yet to disappoint.
I don't think they possibly could.
This is not the Hilton. But if you're going to take a trip to Santa Cruz to soak up the beach, go to the famous Beach Boardwalk, see 1 of many museums, or the many cool parks they have, or have lunch on the wharf with the 100's of sea lions there to greet you, or even go shopping down town. You just don't go to Santa Cruz to sit in a fancy, stuffy, inside hotel with no way to smell the ocean air, feel the oh so awesome clean air that just makes you feel great, no way, you can stay at a fancy hotel somewhere else, but surely not when visiting Santa Cruz, the surf capitol of the world.
The Sunny Cove is the best of the best when you think of going back to the 70's with funky style, friendly innkeepers, rooms on the ground floor, with lotsa windows, where you can leave your door open and unlocked and have no worries.
You book your room (highly recommended) arrive to the more than awesome friendly, feels like she's been your friend for years innkeeper, Jane, who shows you to your room, and if space allows even gives you a pick of a few rooms you'd like to stay in before you stay. How coool is that? You park right next to your room, unpack walking into the totally awesome ALL remodeled rooms, with new bathrooms in most rooms, most larger and for sure nicer, new bedding, carpets in many, paintings on the wall, updated kitchens, just a great overhaul with these renovated, remodeled rooms. Now im not saying the rooms weren't already great, but now they are awesome and even better.
Dependng on the room the rooms have 2 double beds and usually also a futon. And there are TV's in both rooms, which is great when im going with the kids. I don't have to watch the same thing they do which is a gift in it of itself. There is also as I said a nice remodeled bath that's such a treat. The kitchen has everything you could need to make anything you'd make at home, with a stove, fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, and table to eat at. If you don't have something you need just ask Jane and she'll have it over to you in minutes.
If im with the kids they drop their bags and head for the pool straight away. They usually then walk down, which is literally yards from the motel, sunny beach cove, where they play in the ocean, do some sun bathing, and just hanging out in the best kept secret little beach cove spot. Its not that secret as they are always people there, but never too crowded,the cove is clean, and the great fresh smell of the ocean. There's nothing better for you than clean fresh ocean breeze air. You can usually watch some surfers or boogie boarders having fun there as well.
We may then have a BBQ at the pool before the kids want to head over to the famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk for a fraction of the cost on certain days of the week if you bring a Pepsi can. You get an unlimited ride bracelet & go at it. I usually leave the kids there to have a blast and go back to the motel and sit by the pool and read, or if time allows, Jane whose so totally friendly may join you for a little conversation. Jane is one of a kind, she's the most friendly, layed back, one of the greatest innkeepers I've had the pleasure of meeting, and I've stayed at many, motels, Inns, Bed & Breakfast Inns etc. She just goes out of her way, I mean way over the call of duty to make sure you feel welcome, comfortable, and have everything you need at all times, and talking with her you feel like you're old friends. She's the Best.
We stayed this time in August where the weather was nice for windows ope door open and its like having a beach block party with all your neighbors who for the most part are all real friendly too. I see many return customers and its just a great friendly place. With the weather so nice you really can leave your windows wide open and have no worries, no reason to feel afraid, this place is very safe and we've ever ever had any problems here.
Now don't get me wrong about the beach block party, this isn't a party house motel, by no means. I just meant in the day & early eve many BBQ and sit outside and talk with each other and then when everyone goes in its very quiet. You can then relax on the beds and watch some TV or read a book and there's never been a problem with noise in the evening. People are all respectful and quiet, and I believe Jane assures she only rents rooms to those who will respect that. There is no loud, music or even conversation allowed after a certain hour. Being this is a family motel as well, many small kids may go to sleep by 9 or so, so its quiet time till the next morning.
There are many great places to eat within a mile away, walking is possible if your up for a morning walk or drive in minutes. Or if you do what we do, we go shop at the grocery store the night after we get there and make meals right in our room.
The Sunny Cove really feels like your own beach front property you have for the summer haha! With a lot of friendly neighbors and a great community manager who runs the area of properties.
I also stayed with just my Mom In January of this year, it was just a well needed R&R couple days away. Our luck was with us as the weather was fabulous. We just went and relaxed sitting by the pool and talking, took at drive to some window shopping around town, then went to dinner at a great Italian place right up the street. The people there are very friendly and know Jane well and love you to mention she sent you over. The food is great real authentic Italian food, large portions you always go home with a doggy bag, or tomorrows lunch.
So to sum it up, the Sunny Cove is just the greatest place to stay while visiting Santa Cruz, whether its for a day or a week, its the best. Can't ask for better service, cozy, homey, funky, comfy rooms, with all the conforts of home, friendly excellant service, great price for Santa Cruz, and a dose of the best sea air you can get, just a great place to relax with one or the whole family. Even bring your four legged friends. Just the best. Will always come back and won't stay anywhere else when visiting the great Santa Cruz.
Easy 5 stars. Book your room now you'll never be disappointed! Just save a room for me, I go often.
Or the negative posters here I believe they may have not even stayed here, especially the very rude poster who said the place smelled of urine? Please. They were probably one of those who Jane decided not to rent to, she tells me she does turn some away as they are people who send one in and then have a boat load of guests come to make a lot of noise and trouble. She says for the peace of the rest of her guests she won't rent to these type people. So, I believe those posters were just upset they were turned away, and for good reason.
Keep up the great job Jane. Ignore those negative posters posting out of retaliation rather than actual facts of their stay, or how Jane acted. I don't think she's beed rude to anyone. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body.
Happy vacationing!

• Stayed August 2010
Portrush, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I found Sunny Cove through the lonely planet guide, it sort of got an average rating there. I rang and booked my room there and got a very helpful and friendly lady who offered me a room at $120 or $90, as we were on a bit of a budget I went for the $90 room. We got there and I paid first for the room and then went to put our stuff in. The room was on the ground floor around the side of the building. Inside it had a tiled floor and the furniture in it was very old, the appliances ; fridge, cooker etc also looked very old. The curtains were very thin and there was a glass window on the door which had no curtain at all and people could see in. The bathroom was very small and the taps turned on in different directions ie cold tap anti clockwise and hot tap clockwise, in general the whole room looked like it needed gutted, re-plastered and decorated and re furnished. We weren't very happy but decided that it was just for one night and we'd make do with it. I should say, bed sheets and covers etc were perfectly clean and fresh. We went for dinner and whilst out my girlfriend decided she wasn't happy with the room and wanted to move out. We got back and I explained this to the lady and apologised, and we left. This was now 10pm ish on a Saturday night. She said she couldn't give me a refund as it was late and her saturday night booking was important to her , I accepted this as we were making a late call and we left. We booked into another motel in town and all was fine. The following day as we were driving towards San Francisco the phone rang, it was the lady from Sunny Cove, she said she had been able to re-let our room after we left and was refunding $70 of our room fee to our credit card. We were astonished and extremely happy and impressed that she did this, she could have kept the fee and said nothing but she didn't. So that changed our view on Sunny Cove big time. Who does that sort of thing in this day and age....not many.
My advice is this.....Go to Sunny cove, view your room first, and if happy stay. One thing for sure, you're dealing with decent people!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
SacramentoCA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Located in a primarily residential neighborhood a couple miles south of the Boardwalk, the Sunny Cove's neighborhood is great. About 2 blocks from the beach, it has a relaxed surfer feel.

The Sunny Cove is a motel, tightly squeezed in a small footprint. There's just enough parking for the units. (not a complaint!)

My family and I stayed in room 10 - the end room close to the pool. The simple room offered a queen sized bed, a partially separate sitting area that shared a flat-screen tv with the bed area, a small bathroom and a kitchenette and eat-at table.

The furniture was very simple, not modern, and I'd guess old. We opened and covered the metal framed futon in the sitting area for sleeping but recall it being a scratchy plaid, straight from the late 80s. The dining space held a small round table and two chairs. Space in the sleeping area was tight but accommodated our porta-crib. The bathroom was simple and lacked a shelf for toiletries. And the shower was wee-little. My husband indicated that he felt smashed in there. The kitchenette had more than sufficient hip-high fridge, a full-sized sink, counter space and a microwave.

I experienced sleep on the futon and the bed. I was warned by the office manager that the futon wouldn't be especially comfortable. She emphasized that they didn't advertise it as a sleeping spot. But, I'd accepted it when I booked and knew someone would sleep there.

The bed was uncomfortable. It seemed off-kilter somehow. Like our right ears were headed downhill and our feet up to the left.

The room was clean. The thick and shag-like carpet visibly was vacuumed. Our two windows were open and did not feature screens. I worried a bit that the kidlet would go out for the pool that he wanted so badly or someone could come in during the night.

At check-in the office manager greeted me by name and was very friendly and helpful. She provided great direction to good breakfast spots and told us about The Mystery Spot. She provided us additional pillows as well.

During our stay we went to Cole's Barbecue and the Harbor Cafe, the latter recommended by the innkeeper. I'll try to write reviews on those too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We've been going to the Sunny Cove for more than eight years and we love it. It is an old Beach Motel, which is slowly but surely upgrading all their room/apartments with very tasty, distinctive, beach decor. If you want a Hotel go to the Hilton, but if you want a place to live in locally for a week, This Is It. Cook in your room or go out, the choice is yours, because most rooms have a small kitchen and some have larger kitchens. The best kept secret beach in SC is steps away. Take a dip or watch the otters and seals play. discover tidal pools and watch the surfers at Pleasure Point while eating a Pleasure Point Grocery Breakfast Burrito...This place is Local, not for the wine and cheese set...but the Bushmills, Beer, and Chili/cheese fries folks...And to the guy who had to wait for Jane to check in....He probably set the attitude first....Jane is too mellow to act the way he describes. Go there, you'll love it too....KM

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Sunny Cove Motel Apartments? Share your experiences!