“Good location - older property” 4 of 5 stars

Sunset Inn
2424 Mission Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Socal
“Good location - older property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Came to Santa Cruz to ride a 400k bike ride so I didn't really see much of the motel. However you can't fault the location and the property itself, while older, is well maintained and clean. The staff were polite and efficient. I didn't get to try the breakfast as I had to leave at 5:30am or the pool because when I got back sleep was the highest priority.

Had to checkout by 11:00am which was a hassle - I would have loved an extra hour of sleep. I have already booked a room for the 600k ride.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I had the worst customer service experience, EVER with the manager no less. I am getting married soon and called to get a price quote for rooms. I was told the price was 175/night, I called the Mission Inn right next door and was quoted 140/night. So I called the Sunset Inn back and asked it they would price match the Mission Inn at 140/night and they agreed. I wanted to give my wedding guest serveral options for places to stay. A week later a guest contacted me saying they had trouble booking a room, so I called back and was again told yes indeed they would honor the rate and would make a second note of it for anyone who missed it.

I just had a wedding guest call me and say they would not honor the rate and the manager Lori was rude to her. So I called the Sunset Inn again for a third time this time talking with the manager Lori, she engaged me in a verbal confrontation accusing me of not making sure I went through her for the rate change (which I was never told I needed to I assumed all things had been cleared by management when I was told they agreed to price match). She was absolutely not going to honor the rate and it was my fault for booking so late. I told her the wedding is a month away and I called two weeks before this day. She insisted no that can't be right and again I said yes one month exactly citing the current date 6/17 and the wedding date 7/17. Again she argued with me, cutting me off and telling me how unfair it was to expect a rate like that???? I told her that the Mission Inn right next door was offering that rate and that is when she told me, "well why don't you and your guests go stay at the Mission Inn then" WOW what bad customer service. This woman lied, this woman agrued with me and then did not do the honorable thing and make her and her company's mistake right. I would not even attempt the Sunset Inn, instead head next door to the Mission Inn who gave us great customer service and told us they have heard serveral complaints from guest who checked out of the Sunset Inn and came over to the Mission Inn because of how awful the Sunset Inn is!!!!

My advice save yourself the time and headache and just stay at the Mission Inn looks like a nicer hotel anyways that doesn't face out onto a busy street. The Sunset Inn needs to learn much much better customer service and needs to get rid of their manager.... she is HORRIBLE!!!

Stayed June 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

My family stayed at the Sunset Inn for one night August 7, 2009 the room was clean, the bathroom large. We liked to location close to the boardwalk, the college and the downtown area. The only complaint was there was not enough parking for all the guests.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

We stayed at the Sunset Inn for two nights and found the experience rather disappointing. Thinking that we would give ourselves a bit of luxury, we booked a suite with a spa and fireplace for $195/night. The suite was very large and airy, but plain to the point of ugliness. Moreover, it was located about 6 feet from Mission Street, which is very busy, and although the street noise was muffled with the windows and door closed, it was still more than a little audible. Of course we were not told this when we booked. We intended to book just a normal room, but the owner described the suite and it sounded so nice we decided to spend the extra money (about double the price). There was a fireplace, but you were only supposed to burn one of those artificial logs in it. A small log was provided, but nowhere in the room were there any matches. The heating unit was by the front door, and there was no unit at all in the separate bedroom, which was in the back. It wasn't until the next day that we discovered an unlabeled switch that turned on a fan which moved air from the living room into the bedroom by means of a noisy vent. There was a coffee pot in the room, and there were packets of sugar, etc., but no coffee. When we called to ask why there was no coffee we were told that since they couldn't predict whether guests would like regular coffee, decaf, or tea, that they didn't put any at all in the room until the guests called to ask for what they wanted. Of course no such thing was told to us when we checked in and there was no information in the hotel's in-room information. Two packets of cheap coffee were delivered later. We looked in vain for a box of tissues, and had to call to ask for one. There was no hair dryer, and when we called to ask about that, we were told that ours was the only room without one, but that they had a "loaner" they could give us. Breakfast was offered but it didn't even look tempting. Just muffins, etc., in plastic packaging. Finally, when we checked out, I think this may be the only time when leaving a hotel of any sort that the owner didn't even bother to ask if we enjoyed our stay. She just handed us the receipt. The bottom line is that the Sunset Inn is not at all a nice place to stay, and overpiced, at least for this suite. Everything is done very cheaply, and it really shows. On the plus side, everything was clean, and the location is convenient (although for us the noise negated the advantage of the location). We advise you to find somewhere else to stay when you visit Santa Cruz.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Ugly room; poor amenities.
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

I used to live near Santa Cruz so I knew I didn't want to stay on Ocean Street or near the Boardwalk. Most of the motels are old or run down, and I don't like the neighborhood near the Boardwalk. I found a nice, small motel on Mission Street on the western edge of town, and only a couple miles from the Boardwalk and also UC Santa Cruz. It's a small motel, only about 30 rooms. It isn't fancy, but has all the basics. It was very clean, looked fairly new, and there were no bad smells at all. The bed was not super comfortable, but about average. They had a continental breakfast which only consisted of oranges, muffins or prepackaged danishes, along with coffee. Not much, but it was ok for me.

I called a couple days ahead to make a reservation and was quoted the lowest available price as $109. Since I was going alone, that was a bit steep for me. I decided just to go and show up...when I went to the front desk, she said it would only be $89 (this was midweek). They also have larger suites for about $20-$30 more, which would be nice for a couple.

There is a 7-Eleven and pizza across the street, and more stores/food along Mission Street (including "Yogurt Delite" the best frozen yogurt I've ever had!). It's a good location, though very busy, and I could hear some traffic from my room. To get to the Boardwalk, don't go back into town, but just across from the motel is Swift Street. Take Swift all the way to the ocean (1 mile), and then go left on West Cliff Drive, and it's only 1-2 miles to the Boardwalk from there. Better yet, walk or ride your bike. West Cliff Drive is one of the most beautiful walks you'll ever take!! This is definitely one of the nicer motels in all of Santa Cruz, for a reasonable price. If you are fine with no frills, this one's for you.

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — On a very busy street
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

A wonderful hotel about a half mile from the water. I have a son at the University and the hotel is really clean and close. The staff was really nice and tried hard to get me a room that crazy graduation weekend. overall nice and away from the chaos.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!