“You get what you pay for....” 2 of 5 stars

National 9 Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   130 Plymouth St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #43 of 52 hotels in Santa Cruz
Pasadena, California
“You get what you pay for....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

First, I will say something nice: I arrived rEaLLy late and the gentleman at the desk was very nice and I will say, the room was clean. That being said, here goes with the negatives: when I checked in I was told the gas heater was not functional but I could use the under window heater. It was cold and damp and rainy and this 'heater' was completely ineffective. It blew with gusto but no more warmed this tiny room than had I kept it off, and it was LoUd! Being extremely late I decided just to go to bed...a thin bed spread and a single blanket just didn't cut it. I froze, even after adding layers, and didn't sleep. There is not even a heat lamp in the bathroom (stone floor and walls) and the shower was tepid at best. And, there was no free wi-fi. It is true...you get what you pay for and I didn't pay much. I wasn't looking for boutique hotel quality but this was a miserable experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Santa Cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This small inexpensive motel (we are respectful and careful not to use the word, cheap because cheap also mean bad quality, we use the word inexpensive which only mean about the money charged for the room), which located next to the entrance of freeway, a bit different location from the other National 9 with the bad review, this motel is nicer place. We intend to stay again if we have any weekends in the future. It is inexpensive, and of course, fewer conveniences such as no lotion, no coffee in the room, no continental breakfast, etc. But, it has a TV, a small fridge. But, those little missing things are not that essential. All we want is a clean, quiet, air comfort room so we can stay at night, sleep well, and this is what we have found at this small motel.

the price is a bit cheaper, like 10 bucks cheaper in weekdays, and in winter, and fall, in Spring, Summer, and weekend, the price go up a bit like 10 buck to 20 bucks.

we hope they try to keep their standard as well as the price the same level as it it all the time, we will be happy to return to stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

dallas, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

After reading good reviews for this motel, we booked a total of 4 rooms for a family event for ourselves and other relatives. Then, I saw some really terrible reviews and I became alarmed. Careful reading, though, showed me that there are TWO motels with the same name just a few blocks apart, one with a good reputation, and one with a poor reputation. Fortunately, we had booked the good one (and at a cheaper price than the lousy one). What a pleasant surprise to find that the rooms were very clean, quiet, and roomy enough for us all. The staff was quite friendly and helpful, and the location was very convenient. Considering all the dumps that a beach town like Santa Cruz has (at embarassingly high prices), this motel is a real find.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We arrived late in the night to this hotel, booked on the fly at arrival. I was positively surprised, good value for money, very cheap, but clean and tidy, Was very spacious room, with large bathroom, fridge, AC and TV. Parking in the court. Was having also a small pool. Coffee was offered in the morning.
I highly recommend this motel, I would stay also in the future there.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reedley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This motel has its quirks, but for the value it's a great find and we'd definitely return again. We had no issue with loud residents or traffic. The owner was very friendly. Amenities are limited, but sufficient for a good, comfortable night's sleep. We stayed in room 15 (second floor) and found the best deal on booking.com. Here's a few positive observations:

* WiFi was good enough to stream Netflix on our computer. You'll need to call the lobby to get the WiFi password.
* The bed was comfortable. We had a single-queen room, and the room didn't feel cramped at all. Our daughter (toddler) slept on the floor in her sleeping bag.
* Free parking (you have to give info about your car when you check in)
* Friendly staff
* The room (including sheets, pillows, towels) are well maintained. My wife is very sensitive to smoke because it easily triggers an asthma attack - even when I don't smell the smoke myself. Our non-smoking room was truly smoke-free.
* Swimming pool (it's located in front across from the lobby and is about as long as some pools are wide - it's kinda small)
* Easy access to the freeway
* Bath area is tiled with granite

Some of the quirks we observed:
* The room is heated with a gas wall furnace controlled by a separate thermostat. The thermostat seemed to need adjustment because we had to raise it pretty high to get it to switch on.
* The water pressure is kinda weak (maybe this was just because we were on the second floor?)
* There's no elevator
* The bathroom has a shower/bath combo, but there was no way to block the drain for filling the bath. We ended up covering the drain with a folded wash cloth and securing it down with the suctioned no-slip shower mat, which did the trick
* No hairdryer
* No microwave or fridge
* The door locks are low-tech. No electronic entry - you're given an old-fashioned key :)
* They supply a bar of soap for the sink and one for the shower, but no shampoo
* The sink and counter are noticeably low (about midpoint between your knee and hip)
* No alarm clock (no clock in the room at all)
* No breakfast - just coffee in the lobby
* Not within walking distance of the beach, so you'll want to drive closer to the boardwalk (beach parking is $1.50/hr for meters and $6/day for parking lots)
* No in-room movies

There were NO bed bugs, NO rude owners, and NO questionable vagabonds lingering around the place. We were very happy with what we got because we went with reasonable expectations. As long as you know this is a budget motel that aims primarily to give you a comfortable place to spend the night without all the other frills, I believe you'll be pleased with your stay.

NOTE: This motel is NOT pet friendly (several signs in the lobby window emphasize this). There's another National 9 Motel a few blocks down Ocean Street (1015 Ocean St) that *is* pet friendly.

Room Tip: Get ground floor if you have trouble with stairs
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Greetings !
My two puppies and I were turned down at 2 hotels before we saw the friendly sign Pet friendly outside of National 9 Motel. They were !
I paid 20 each for a non-refundable deposit.
enjoyed a comfortable large room which include a microwave a refridgerator. tv with cable and wi-fi. an abundance of clean towels.
Honesty ! I left my power source called the next day they had it. !
we were able to walk to the Santa Cruz diner open 24/7.
Enjoyed Fresh roasted coffee at The Santa Cruz coffee Roasters yummy !!!!

Plan a stop !!! We found it more than worth it.

Room Tip: All rooms would be a fantastic choice or ask to see them.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Please, do not do as I did and listen to the other people's reviews. There are way better hotels for the same price in the area. The people that run this hotel are crazy. We had reservations and they put us in a room next to a group of approx. 8 loud, drinking, and smoking men. We were in the hotel room for no less than 5 minutes when the owner and his wife busted into the room saying we had to leave!! Confused, asking why, they said, "We don't take your kind here" Astonished, considering, the four of us: a nurse, paramedic, server, and event planner- replied, "And the guys next door?"

"They work for us" (This was at 9pm) They then continued, "We are not here to babysit"

Speechless, at how rude and kind of hilarious this was, because it was so unexpected- we decided we would indeed leave. Then, to make things worse, the men next to us offered my two girlfriends drugs. My friend called the cops, because she was so freaked out.

Dont stay here!!! It's not safe!!! Absolutely NO customer service. They are nuts!

Room Tip: They are all surrounding a parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to National 9 Motel? Share your experiences!