“Decent value priced lodging in Santa Cruz” 3 of 5 stars

National 9 Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   130 Plymouth St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #42 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Santa Rosa, California
“Decent value priced lodging in Santa Cruz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

While your results may vary, we had a comfortable stay at this National 9,( there appears to be two National 9 locations in Santa Cruz.) Their street address is 130 Plymouth, it is really at the north end of Ocean St.. We were lucky enough to be placed in a small house in the back of the property that had been converted to three units, our room was clean, bed was comfortable, everything worked fine, no maintenance issues, the staff was friendly, responsive and accommodating. Very convenient location, instant access to Route 17 & 1, gas stations, McDonalds, Denny's close by.

This is no "hidden gem," but it's just as valuable to alert other travelers to a place that is not exceptional, but does provide a good value compared to the other motels in relatively expensive in Santa Cruz..

Disclaimer...We did not stay in the main building, which would be more like the standard motel experience. Subject to all the usual problems of side by side, up and down living.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the back building.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I love to stay at the National 9. The owners take good care of us and if we have any requests, they do their best to accommodate us. The rate is very low, which allows us to go to Santa Cruz more often than if we stayed at a more luxurious motel, and that is the choice we make. It's not as nice as a lot of places, but the value is great. We ride our bikes from the hotel to the boardwalk and all around town, and even have enough room in our motel room to put our bikes overnight.
Complainers need to remember that this is a good deal and to treat the owners/managers with respect. They will return that respect, rest assured. Kindness begets kindness.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Mission Viejo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Asked for a room to be held saying would arrive in 5-10 minutes. Had an accident enroute and called to say we were unable to stay in Santa Cruz. Even though it was a holiday weekend and the property coul easily have sold the room to another traveler, they refused saying "it was in the computer and they could do nothing to reverse it". I know beter. Based on their attitude and the other reviews I would recommend you avoid this property.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
National9motel, Manager at National 9 Motel, responded to this review, September 21, 2008
Reservations booked online through a travel
agent cannot be cancelled on the day of arrival at the motel.Customer has to cancel
with the booking travel agency as the rese rvation is subject to a commission payable
to the travel agency.If the travel agency agrees
to cancel the reservation and we can sell the room we will not charge the customer.We highly recommend customers get the travel agency involved in such cases.
Santa Cruz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

The National 9 Motel is quite possibly the worst place on Earth. I was eaten alive by bedbugs at the National 9 Motel. I woke up with over a dozen welts between 1 and 3 inches long after I spent the night at the National 9 Motel. The room at the National 9 Motel looked clean but had a very strange earthy smell, and by the time I gotten past the National 9 Motel's con artist at the front desk I was too exhausted to argue for my money back and find another place. Warning! The National 9 Motel in Santa Cruz should be avoided like the plague!!!

Stayed August 2007
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

Here is what happened:

My son and I flew into San Jose from Portland, Oregon with the plan of staying one night in Santa Cruz...then driving Big Sur.... and staying in Santa Barbara for a few nights. My son is 8 years old and thinks every motel room is the most exciting thing ever..but even he was ready to get out of there after this mostly sleepless night.

The first thing I noticed was that the room was incredibly warm. I quickly discovered that the heat was on and there was no A/C. Just a fan. I called the office and was told that because Santa Cruz gets very cold at night, we would want the heat on and wouldn't need the a/c (even though it was hot when we arrived.). By the way, we are from the NW and never use the heat at night and I felt it couldn't possibly get THAT cold in SC at night. It was sunny and very warm outside at 5 pm. So, I turned the heat off (so I thought) and we went out for dinner and the arcade. When we returned a few hours later, the room was scorching hot. Apparently the "off" button failed to turn off the heat. I called the manager and was told the pilot light had to be turned off and only they could do that. So..a very nice man showed up at our door and turned it off for us. No problem, I figured. All seemed better....till about 6 am the next morning. My son woke up complaining of being "itchy" and apparently had been up many times throughout the night. I turned on the light and he had little bites on his back and legs. Oh crap!! I didn't have any kind of medication for him, so I first suggested he take a warm bath to perhaps get some relief. But..oh yes...I almost forgot..NO HEAT at 6 am in the morning on the central coast. Yes..she was right. It WAS cold and we had no way of getting any heat without tracking down someone from the office. My son decided to make it quick and deal with it. But then....the next problem was the tub drain. The drain plug didn't fit, so there was no way to keep the water in....so no bath. He ended up taking a shower and then froze when he got out. I was so cold, I skipped my much needed shower and just wanted to get packed up and leave.

When we checked out (which turned out to be quite early because we could not wait to get out of there), I told the woman at the desk about our bite ordeal. She quickly and defensively denied that it could have possibly been bed bugs. She said it must have come from somewhere else. I told her I just wanted her to be aware..but she became clearly upset and left us standing there!! We had already returned the key and paid or $53, so we left, vowing never to return.

I saw so many positive reviews, but they must have stayed in a different room....or just caught this place on a good night...or something. Obviously, I won't stay again.

• Liked — Fridge and good wireless access.
  • Disliked — Bed bugs, obviously. Is there anything worse?
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carlsbad, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2006

The National 9 Santa Cruz is a great place to lay your head.Great value,and beautiful rooms.I would definatly stay again.

Stayed August 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. We were extremely pleased. It's location is perfect and the staff was wonderful.The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The price was reasonable as well.
We would definately recommend this hotel and come back to stay here again!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to National 9 Motel? Share your experiences!