“Perfect way to ring in the new year” 4 of 5 stars

Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   401 Johans Beach Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95062   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Sunnyvale, CA
“Perfect way to ring in the new year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

After having such a wonderful time last year celebrating the arrival of 2012 at this property, my fiance and I had a large group of friends join us to do the same for 2013. Once again, we had a wonderful time. From the moment we arrived, the staff we incredibly accommodating and led us to our cottage, which is equipped with everything we needed. We had a private deck and grill and were able to bring our two dogs as well. For New Year's Eve, we built a fire on the beach, which is located at the base of the property, and had a relaxing and fun time. While it isn't very modern or sophisticated, if you're looking for a rustic, quaint, cozy and quiet place for a week or weekend, you won't find a better one in the area.

Room Tip: If you bring pets, be sure to call rather than booking online as they have specific cottages that ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thanks so much for your review, we really appreciate it! Happy New Year!

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Loved this place! My husband and I took a little three day holiday to celebrate his birthday and this place was perfect. We had a little kitchen and livingroom and deck with a bbq. We were able to have a few people over to bbq and celebrate hubby's big day (The motel even had board games we could borrow!). The kitchen was not completely decked out, but the owners Mark and Betty were very accomodating about supplying us with kitchen gear and helping us make everythink work. Ocean Echo is just what you would expect from a beach cottage....it is not luxurious, but it IS charming, quiet, near the beach and the owners are sweet as can be.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5, which had a veiw of Monterey Bay from the deck. I think there are only a few r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thanks for your review! So glad the weather cooperated for your party!
See you next time!
Oakley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had the most amazing time this last weekend surprising my boyfriend for a weekend getaway to Santa Cruz. The trip was last minute and Mark was more than willing to accommodate my last minute reservation and he and his sweet wife, Betty, were awaiting us when we arrived! The arrival was smooth and I was shown our gorgeous cabin and we were able to walk the 30 seconds to the beach just in time to see the most magnificent sunset! Then it was back to our room for a little R&R and I was able to make us a delicious dinner in our kitchen! Betty supplied a wine key (of course I forgot mine!) and they even had games for us to borrow making our night that much more fun! When the sun rose we were up early and were treated to a delicious continental breakfast that went perfectly with the bacon I was able to make in our cute little kitchen! Then with the referral by Mark to check out the Santa Cruz pier and the sea lions, we were on our way to an enjoyable day at the Santa Cruz boardwalk! The whole trip was perfect, the weekend was warm and sunny in December (!!) and I thank Mark & Betty for their friendliness, willingness to help, and their giving spirits! I loved the Ocean Echo Cottage and would recommend it to anyone and everyone I know! The room was adorable, private and clean! We were able to cook our own food, saving money on going out to eat, and the views of the ocean were to die for! Next time we'll definitely bring our kids to Ocean Echo Inn and Cottages as well. It was such a wonderful experience! Thank you!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin 7 and it was perfect for a couple! We'll stay in a larger cabin when we bring...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks so much for your review! Glad we were able to provide such a beautiful sunset for you!
See you next time.
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nice location centrally located to key spots and surf breaks. Brought my 4 yr/old son for his first Daddy/Son Surf Trip and had a great time. I would not bring my wife here because of the mold stained shower curtains and yellow saliva-stained pillows. Cleanliness is everything for me and especially my wife. Those are cheap things to replace. The cottages would be great if the cleanliness issue was worked out. The ones with kitchens were cool to stay in.

Unfortunately a week after my departure I realized that I left my very expensive camera next to the bed(I didn't want anyone to find it while I was out and about with my son). Obviously with that amount of time a couple of people stayed in the room. SOOOO, either the house keeper cleaned the room and kept it for herself, or, they didn't clean it and the next guest kept it for themselves. Either way, my camera was stolen. Quite a bummer. Thank God for insurance. Too bad for dishonest people. (And I did not leave it on the beach or at a restaurant as the owner may want to think, since I did not take it out of the room.) Just wish I had turned my GPS on in the camera. Then I could find out who really has it.

Either way, good place that needs a little more cleaning. I would rate it a 4-5 if it were for issues as stated above.

Room Tip: don't leave anything in room upon checkout.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages for our 17th anniversary & it was perfect!! The room was cozy & had an amazing view! It is literally just seconds from the beach. We are looking forward to making this a yearly trip. & totally will be recommending it to our family & friends.

• Stayed December 2012
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your review! So glad we could be a part of your anniversary celebration - see you next time!
Modesto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this lovely Inn to celebrate my 60th Birthday. We stayed in unit 10, one of the older units, not yet remodeled, but clean and quaint. There was even a fully equipped kitchen. The new managers, Mark and Betty, were lovely. We took the short walk to Cove Beach and then walked through town to a larger beach. Capitola is a short 5 minute drive, where we ate at the Shadowbrook Restaurant, another gem. Tried to book a larger unit for our family of 6 for Thanksgiving, but waited too long to call. Looking forward to showing this lovely place to our children. Gail and Gayle

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thanks so much for your review! Sorry we won't get to see you on Thanksgiving - how about Christmas or New Years? See you next time!

Mark & Betty
Truckee, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We fit our family of four and dog in unit 10. It was great. The kitchen allowed us to cook at home. We had a little yard for the dog and to store our bikes. We BBQ'd and ate outside there, too. Sunny Cove is an awesome beach and being able to walk there without crossing any roads, from the cottage was ideal. It's also close to the new swim center on 17th for some warm pool stuff with the kids.

The place is old and has the funky charm and quirks/issues of a 100 year old cottage. I like that sort of thing, though. It was a bit pricey, but considering the yard, separate bedroom and living room, and kitchen, it was cheaper than a VRBO house.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thanks so much for your review, glad you had a good time.

See you next time!
Mark & Betty

Been to Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!