“Check carefully” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California
“Check carefully”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We reserved a room for the maximum 7 days. It was comfortable. The 2nd nite there was a family above us that was VERY loud and disruptive, starting before 6am. I asked the desk clerk, when they opened, if something could be done about it. They offered to move us or them, and I left it up to the mgmt to decide. 2 nites it was quiet, and then they put the same people above us AGAIN, only the loudness started by 5am. I called the hotel #, and went and stood outside and rang the night bell for at least 10 minutes. Finally I just called the police. It sort of helped, but when they opened the office at 8am, I asked why they moved the same people over us after we had complained about the noise, and why no one was there to answer the night bell. I would stay again, but not in a downstairs unit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Berkeley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Definitely worth the money you pay for a double. Continental breakfast could be richer though, it should offer more than a simple 7/11.
The room was particularly spacious, bathroom was clean. Appreciated the cable service.

• Stayed January 2013
Los Banos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I LOVE this hotel! We stayed there again last weekend, and everything was just as great. When we first got there, which was about 5:30 because of a family event, we watched the NFC playoffs on the 42 inch flatscreen tv. The bed was very comfortable, and the breakfast bar was just as good as in the summer. Room was extremely clean and came with a fridge and microwave. Rupesh, the manager, was very personable and helpful, just as the last time we stayed, and Reina at the front desk was very friendly and courteous.
I lived in Santa Cruz for almost 2 decades, and miss it so much. I plan to move back some day, but in the meantime, I have to say that staying at the Bay Front Inn makes me feel so much at home. Thank you again, Rupesh and staff!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If it were possible to rate the service at this hotel with a negative number, I would do so. But for now, the worst I can do is to rate it a 1(terrible). I was booked to stay at Bay Front on 12/25/12 and 12/26/12. I arrived at the hotel just before 7:00pm on Christmas Day. I went to the office to check in, the door was locked and I stood in the pouring rain for 10 minutes ringing the bell waiting for someone to answer. (the sign on the office said that they were open until 11:00pm).
No one arrived, so I called the phone number posted on the door and reached only a recorded message. I left a message with my name, announcing that I was trying to check in and gave my phone number asking that someone call me back ASAP. I waited in my car for some time for someone to call me back, but received no call. Fortunately, I had a friend that lived not too far from there and I was able to crash on the floor of her studio (not what I had in mind for my vacation).
The next morning I went back to the hotel at around 10:00am (I still had not received a call-back from the message I had left). I explained the situation to the young woman at the desk. She immediately knew my name (obviously had listened to the message). She apologized and offered to upgrade my room. She checked me in and said that she would talk to the manager when he was in later to see what they could do for me. I was out all day and I never heard anything from either of them. The next morning when I went to check out, I asked what the manager had said. The young woman said that he was supposed to have called me. He never had. She said he would be in later. I was on my way to San Luis Obispo for a couple days and had to leave. I called the hotel later that day from San Luis Obispo. when I asked to speak to the manager, the young woman said he was getting ready to go out of town and would not be back until 1/1/13 and that I could try calling around 5:00pm. I was only given his first name - Rapresh. Based on the timing of when he usually (supposedly comes in) I suspect that he was the person who was supposed to be on night duty Christmas Day when I arrived. Pretty sad, isn't it? I had pre-paid for the rooms with my frequent flyer miles and still have not received a refund for the night that I was locked out of my room in the rain. I will try calling there again this evening and if no luck will go through customer service of my mileage rewards program on 1/2/13 to see if I can recover them.

So in short, would i recommend it? Absolutely not. The room was okay. Quite small. Paper thin walls - sounded like my neighbors were in the same room with me and as the rooms have hardwood floors (with no rugs) you can hear every foot step of the folks above. And certainly if you are depending upon a place to stay, this is not the place as obviously the management is not at all dependable or responsible.

A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I with our little dog Bandit stayed at the Bay Front for the Christmas Holiday. Even in the stormy weather, we really felt at home. There were brakes in the rain, and my little dog and I went on walks in downtown Santa Cruz, just around the corner from our hotel. Downtown has everything from quaint restaurants to specialty boutique shops, and the familiar Urban Outfitter and Forever 21 (as I am from the valley). The staff at the Bay Front was very friendly and helpful to us whenever we needed something. We didn't every have to wait for anything we asked for. The room was clean and comfortable with a large bed, new flat screen TV, premium channels for movies and working amenities. The showers were hot, the room was warm and it was just like being at home. Many excellent restaurant's within one mile of the hotel. A five minute walk to Santa Cruz boardwalk for a 13 pound dog was a joy!!!
We will definately be back to stay with Rena and Deepak at their wonderful hotel!

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor so you can walk right out the door to your car!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Middlebury, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

When my friend and I arrived to Santa Cruz, coming off our first stretch of Route 1, I felt like I was really in California. It was nearly December and still very warm. They had a pool, which I didn't get a chance to check out but was beautiful from the looks of it. Kind of old school, which was cool in the way that I almost felt apart of 90210 (even though that isn't the Santa Cruz zip code). The door was open and the room felt beachy, I loved that. The bed was comfortable, there was a microwave, fridge, complimentary soaps and lotions, and also had a blow dryer. Affordable and great location, within walking distance of most attractions in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Room #209, second floor, great view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rancho Cordova, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

we arrived at 230 and were told we had to wait till 3 pm or pay and extra $15 OK I get it we were early but I had wished they would have checked to see if there was a clean room. then they made a big deal about their rules and regulations like I was staying at my parents house. Later in the night the T.V. stopped working and the lady made ME switch out the TVs. the beds were VERY uncomfortable like sleeping on a rock and they never opened the office for their continental breakfast we left at 8:30 AM very disappointed, oh they are close to the wharf i guess I will give them that.

Room Tip: queen beds are like sleeping on the floor and bring your own pillow.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bay Front Inn? Share your experiences!