“My Christmas Stay @ Bay Front Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Bay Front Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   325 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060   |
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Jose, California
“My Christmas Stay @ Bay Front Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I with our little dog Bandit stayed at the Bay Front for the Christmas Holiday. Even in the stormy weather, we really felt at home. There were brakes in the rain, and my little dog and I went on walks in downtown Santa Cruz, just around the corner from our hotel. Downtown has everything from quaint restaurants to specialty boutique shops, and the familiar Urban Outfitter and Forever 21 (as I am from the valley). The staff at the Bay Front was very friendly and helpful to us whenever we needed something. We didn't every have to wait for anything we asked for. The room was clean and comfortable with a large bed, new flat screen TV, premium channels for movies and working amenities. The showers were hot, the room was warm and it was just like being at home. Many excellent restaurant's within one mile of the hotel. A five minute walk to Santa Cruz boardwalk for a 13 pound dog was a joy!!!
We will definately be back to stay with Rena and Deepak at their wonderful hotel!

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor so you can walk right out the door to your car!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Middlebury, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

When my friend and I arrived to Santa Cruz, coming off our first stretch of Route 1, I felt like I was really in California. It was nearly December and still very warm. They had a pool, which I didn't get a chance to check out but was beautiful from the looks of it. Kind of old school, which was cool in the way that I almost felt apart of 90210 (even though that isn't the Santa Cruz zip code). The door was open and the room felt beachy, I loved that. The bed was comfortable, there was a microwave, fridge, complimentary soaps and lotions, and also had a blow dryer. Affordable and great location, within walking distance of most attractions in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Room #209, second floor, great view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rancho Cordova, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

we arrived at 230 and were told we had to wait till 3 pm or pay and extra $15 OK I get it we were early but I had wished they would have checked to see if there was a clean room. then they made a big deal about their rules and regulations like I was staying at my parents house. Later in the night the T.V. stopped working and the lady made ME switch out the TVs. the beds were VERY uncomfortable like sleeping on a rock and they never opened the office for their continental breakfast we left at 8:30 AM very disappointed, oh they are close to the wharf i guess I will give them that.

Room Tip: queen beds are like sleeping on the floor and bring your own pillow.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place was so much better than I expected for the $70 we paid!
I made the reservation on Booking.com and then received a pleasant confirmation call about an hour later from the girl at the front desk. Once we arrived she told us all the basics about getting around and so on. She was very helpful.
The room was clean and bright, with a gorgeous bathroom. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room aling with digital cable!
The continental breakfast was wonderful and the coffee was particularly outstanding. Overall, this place greatly exceeded my expectations for a bargain hotel. I will definitely be back my next visit to Santa Cruz.

• Stayed November 2012
Salinas, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had reservations for the two family rooms in advance of the Halloween festivities in Santa Cruz, paid for with my credit card. Upon arriving i was told I had to pay $150 cash per room as a deposit for possible damages - this was not disclosed on my reservation but only after I already arrived with no where else to stay and past the 48 hour cancellation limit. I tried to speak to the manager but he refused to speak to me on the phone and never called me back. I finally walked (in the dark amongst the homeless) to a local ATM and got the cash and deposited it with them knowing i would get it back in the morning. HA! We were out on the streets all evening and only came back to the hotel after 1, but the manager woke my friends and I up at 3 am in the morning telling us we had unauthorized guests. We had 2 guests per room, and these rooms sleep at least 6 each!! He then tried to retain my entire $300 deposit but after calling the local police we agreed to settle on $50 per room, which he took out of my cash deposit. Guess what? He also charged me $100 on my credit card which i'm still trying to recover. He took my cash and had me sign for it, then fabricated receipts stating I tendered no payment that night and instead charged it to my credit card. The whole night was a huge letdown considering how fun Santa Cruz is at Halloween. Don't stay here, the manager will steal your $$ if you let him. By the way, the towels in the room were already dirty. I wasn't there to shower so I didn't say anything. But go next door, you will not have to put up with false cash deposits or any other ridiculous garbage. it's not worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
rzavar, General Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with us. However, my observations were clear and you did not take our policies seriously. It's not our practice to keep deposits but understand that you aren't entitled to them either if you willingly fail to follow our polices that you agree to. Understandably, I acted fairly given the circumstance and was reasonable with you since you were given options and had already been warned about the loud noise and the extra-guests from the complaints we received. Our goal is to provide our guests with a good overall experience, I do take your claim seriously and want to work towards resolving or clearing your concerns; please contact me at 831-423-8564

Rupesh Zavar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I took a 10 day road trip from Washington state to California. We made no plans just figured it out on the way. I have worked in the hotel business at 4 diamond full service hotels for 12 years so I am very picky and notice everything. Not many full service hotels in Santa Cruz more mom and pop establishments, which is nice. I chose the Bay Front Inn because all the reviews were good and they excepted pets. Very difficult to find a pet room in Santa Cruz. The hotels is very cute but on a main road. But the location really is perfect b/c you are halfway between downtown and the beach and boardwalk. We were there for Halloween which is highly recommended. They have a festival on Halloween where they shut all of downtown down and everyone comes out for a family friendly parade of costumes. It's awesome.

The Bay Front in is simple, but CLEAN and to me that is the most important thing a hotel can do. It was affordable $61plus tax and a$15.00 per night pet fee which is cheap. At the hotel I work for we charge $35 per night. All of the rooms have been recently updated so bedding is simple and nice. The floors are tile and the rooms are small but how much time do you spend in your room. Huge flat screen TV on the wall with all channels.

I HIGHLY recommend!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

As you can see from the title, it was a last minute decision to stay in Santa Cruz and it was for one night only. Checked in quite late and the receptionist was very helpful and told us the best places to visit.

As for the room, it was reasonably spacious but very clean with a good size bathroom. Facilities included the usual fridge, coffee machine and air con with free wifi. Was not much noise despite it being near a reasonably busy road so a good nights sleep was had. Can't comment on the breakfast as we had to leave very early in the morning.

If you need a budget hotel this one is recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bay Front Inn? Share your experiences!