“We'll Be Back.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Auburn
“We'll Be Back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We saw Aldos on Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives and everything looked fabulous. It is right on the little harbor and we ate outside on a beautiful sunny day on Christmas Eve and our Bichon doggy was welcomed with a bowl of water. Our server was fabulous and helpful.
We started off with Bloody Mary's and the Fried Calamari Appetizer. The bloody mary was very good and the calamari was a huge serving, fresh and tender. The best we've had.
I order the Cioppino because I was so impressed by the dish made on DDD show which looked to be generous with the crab. No so for me. I had 3 pieces of crab, 2 skinny pieces with hardly any meat in the legs and 1 generous size piece, only it was an empty shell. I looked through the broth to see if it had fallen out but no. I was disappointed because crab is my favorite meat. The dish was generous with the other seafood portions and quite tasty.
My husband had the Coconut Shrimp and Chips/fries. It was a good dish but not fabulous. We both expected to taste coconut on the shrimp but it tasted like regular batter fried. It was tender and had good flavor but not the flavor we expected.
Yes we will be back. There were a lot of things on the menu that we'd still like to try, like their homemade ravioli.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Santa Cruz, California
“It's not about the food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

It's a beautiful place to brunch on a nice day -- right on a deck overlooking the harbor, and you can even bring your dog. And drink. But the food's no better than it has to be, which, what with the booze and beautiful location, is not very good at all.

Visited December 2012
“Yummy & fresh seafood with a lovely view to boot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

After seeing it on Triple D, my husband & I couldn't wait to try Aldo's when we finally had a chance to get to Santa Cruz. We dropped by for lunch and boy it was such an awesome meal! We had the ciopino & fisherman's platter, both were super fresh & delicious! I especially liked the garlic bread that came with the ciopino; we soaked it all up in the soup & enjoyed the meal watching the seagulls by the harbor.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Cruz, California
“fun to sit out on deck.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

food is fine, ambience wonderful! sometimes slow service, but you go for the location so it is fine to savor the experience longer. breakfast is good there.

Boise Idaho
“Not stellar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We asked for a joe average fish and chips and got just that. We liked the bay view and seating, and had tasty fish tacos and beers, but the fish and chips were too greasy.

Visited October 2012